• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Class of 2017 Admissions Questions

I remember hating stupid college application essays (I don't have anything interesting or poignant to say - it's a wonder I got into college at all), but I definitely don't remember having to write EIGHT essays. Goodness.

Wake could really benefit from weeding out lazy thinkers more; I like the questions

do you have to answer all 7? or do you get to choose, say, 4 of them?

for the class of 2006, we were given 3 topics, and we had to answer 2. i think it was the academic passion one, the pro humanitate one, and then one about a social injustice that we had personally worked with, or something along those lines.

Looking at the site, I think you answer all of them. The "In Brief" I would imagine are only supposed to be a paragraph or two (if that's possible).

How do some of you remember what BS essays you wrote on college admissions applications 10 years ago?

do you have to answer all 7? or do you get to choose, say, 4 of them?

for the class of 2006, we were given 3 topics, and we had to answer 2. i think it was the academic passion one, the pro humanitate one, and then one about a social injustice that we had personally worked with, or something along those lines.

Actually, I take back what I said. Here is the site: https://www.wakeforestinfo.org/apply/step3.htm

No instructions on the "In Brief" section. Maybe you answer the ones you want to answer (at your own risk).

one of my favorite admission essays i wrote (nerd alert) was for George Washington University. The question asked you to design a new monument for Washington D.C. and explain where it would go, what it would be, why, etc.

I remember my generic "tell us about yourself / your academic interests" essay that I sent to almost every school I applied to. I don't remember any of the school specific questions or my answers.

For that essay I wrote about how my academic passion was chemistry. Took one semester at MSD and turned to the humanities. :noidea:

i would imagine the issue is that they're not easy questions. maybe for a english or philosophy major they would be, but as an accounting major, i would find them difficult to answer. that said, i still think it's brilliant as a means to getting people who are more creative and thoughtful.

I think I disagree here. Any HS senior has probably written enough papers (as well as had enough guidance on college applications) that they can creatively BS their way through these questions. They're not really all that creative - they're just the sort of faux-philosophical questions that are meaningless and produce meaningless responses. But this is probably just a symptom of a larger issue, that the entire college application process is pretty much a BS-a-thon.

I think I disagree here. Any HS senior has probably written enough papers (as well as had enough guidance on college applications) that they can creatively BS their way through these questions. They're not really all that creative - they're just the sort of faux-philosophical questions that are meaningless and produce meaningless responses. But this is probably just a symptom of a larger issue, that the entire college application process is pretty much a BS-a-thon.

Interesting thought. If I ask someone to tell me about themself and their answer is BS and I accept it as truth, is that my fault or there fault?

For Wake, I did Academic Passion and Favorite Work of Art. Had to answer a couple short answer things, too- what would you do if president for the day, and what enrages you. I remember what I wrote for each (Class of 2008).

I don't remember what I wrote for UNC/Duke/State. I think I recycled some wake essays. Duke had more short answer, IIRC.

I like these questions, I think they're goign to get a LOT of responses about Amendment 1. I like 'Top 10 list' a lot. I kind of want to start a thread about that.

Interesting thought. If I ask someone to tell me about themself and their answer is BS and I accept it as truth, is that my fault or there fault?

That's a better question than any of the originals :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm not trying to dump on you for posting this info - its an interesting topic for discussion for sure.

For Wake, I did Academic Passion and Favorite Work of Art. Had to answer a couple short answer things, too- what would you do if president for the day, and what enrages you. I remember what I wrote for each (Class of 2008).

I don't remember what I wrote for UNC/Duke/State. I think I recycled some wake essays. Duke had more short answer, IIRC.

I like these questions, I think they're goign to get a LOT of responses about Amendment 1. I like 'Top 10 list' a lot. I kind of want to start a thread about that.

Yeah!

I remember my generic "tell us about yourself / your academic interests" essay that I sent to almost every school I applied to. I don't remember any of the school specific questions or my answers.

For that essay I wrote about how my academic passion was chemistry. Took one semester at MSD and turned to the humanities. :noidea:

Applications have changed a LOT, even in the last 5 years, towards questions like these. Higher education in general (and maybe Ph and others familiar with pedagogy/theory can chime in here) has gone through some changes in approaches to admission and matriculation of its students, and Wake is not at all unique in taking on this trend. They are looking for analytical, critical, and lateral types of thinking here for a more well-rounded prospective student.

Yeah, maybe they are daunting to me now because I haven't written BS essays/papers in quite some time. I'm sure it wouldn't have been so out of my ordinary when I was 17.

I think one of the great things about these essays is it makes it very easy to weed out the students who aren't too interested in Wake but just submitting another application. If these essays allow the university to better choose between two students with differing levels of interest in Wake, then I am all for that.

For the class of 2011, I remember two students that did not get accepted into Wake but got into ivy league schools and Duke. According to one, he put very little effort into his essays because it was his safety school. I would imagine Wake admissions could tell and thus waitlisted him. If he was still very interested after that waitlist, I am sure he would have expressed that interest and they could reconsider.

How do some of you remember what BS essays you wrote on college admissions applications 10 years ago?

I remember my UVA application due like January 1st or something, doing them the morning of, forgetting to include my application fee, and reaching the post office late so it wasn't submitted in time and getting in and our valedictorian getting waitlisted.

Legacy bitches.

Back