• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Class of 2017 Admissions Questions

All I remember from answering those is me crowbarring the fact that I'm Hispanic into almost every answer.

I hate the diversity question, had to answer it at all my law school interviews. I had no idea what to say since I'm a middle class white dude.

For class of '09, I think I the only one I remember writing is the favorite work of art that moved you or something.

As far as application essays weeding people out, it did exactly that when I opened the application for Duke's medical school. I think it was 5 unlimited character essays with one being "What is the most significant moral dilemma you have faced outside of academics, how did you solve it, and how this decision impact you as a future physician?" A lot of my classmates did the same thing and decided that secondary wasn't worth the time.

didnt us 06ers get asked what we thought our gpa would be after 4 years at wake or something stupid like that?

I hate the diversity question, had to answer it at all my law school interviews. I had no idea what to say since I'm a middle class white dude.

the thing that bothers me about the question asked here is its an outright brag about how we integrated pretty early for a southern school yet we are probably currently one of the whitest/upper-middle class top 25 schools in the nation.

Last edited:
didnt us 06ers get asked what we thought our gpa would be after 4 years at wake or something stupid like that?

i remember writing that essay, but for some reason i was thinking we wrote it after we got to school, not for the application. i do, however, remember what i put as my expected GPA. i was apparently a bit delusional (or just ignorant of what wake was really like).

the thing that bothers me about the question asked here is its an outright brag about how we integrated pretty early for a southern school yet we are probably currently one of the whitest/upper-middle class top 25 schools in the nation.

i remember writing that essay, but for some reason i was thinking we wrote it after we got to school, not for the application. i do, however, remember what i put as my expected GPA. i was apparently a bit delusional (or just ignorant of what wake was really like).

Yeah, that was a personal essay that we were supposed to bring for our initial meetings with our faculty advisors. Something with regards to what we expected our GPA to be, how we expected to mature in 4 years, etc.

class of 2001

Don't remember most of the essays, but I remember one was" describe an expressive silence."

I think I wrote some BS poem about the challenger exploding and the nation holding its collective breath.

The experience of being a twin problem gives you a unique viewpoint on life. How about having parents who worked for a company that produced items dangerous to people's health? I would have taken either of those approaches. The question is asking "how are you different?"

The experience of being a twin problem gives you a unique viewpoint on life. How about having parents who worked for a company that produced items dangerous to people's health? I would have taken either of those approaches. The question is asking "how are you different?"

Orrr see how creative you can be in making stuff up.

But the essay question specifically mentions race. It doesn't ask what makes you different. It asks - in light of our decision to integrate - what makes you diverse. It's a leading question.

And LOL at #6. Wake is turning into a bunch of sci-fi dorks.

Last edited:
Yeah the issue with the diversity question was most of them explicitly asked about race. Also the fact that my mom worked for Reynolds literally hasn't shaped my life at all (beyond her working for another company) other than being slightly more sympathetic to the blatant hypocrisy existent with regards to alcohol and tobacco lobbying/advertising.

I've used the twin thing a lot though.

Yeah, that was a personal essay that we were supposed to bring for our initial meetings with our faculty advisors. Something with regards to what we expected our GPA to be, how we expected to mature in 4 years, etc.

For the incoming class of 2005, we were supposed to mail these prediction letters to the dean before arriving on campus under the assumption that they'd be returned to us upon graduation.

I turned mine in three weeks into school after getting repeated emails from the dean's office. My prediction was also a little bit hopeful, but after not turning in that essay and not reading that terrible book about Tehran, I probably shouldn't have expected much.

I remember hating stupid college application essays (I don't have anything interesting or poignant to say - it's a wonder I got into college at all), but I definitely don't remember having to write EIGHT essays. Goodness.

Nah, only one is an actually essay. The other 7 are no more than a paragraph.

I frankly have no recollection what the ones were on the class of 2012 application (but they were a little off-the-wall, though maybe not as much as these).

I do remember the essay about expectations and what due after being admitted though. That was a load of shit. I have no clue what I put on mine, although I suppose I could find it if I really wanted (I don't).

is anyone else astounded that the class of 2017 is applying right now?

the 2 i remember (class of 03) were what does pro humanitate mean to you and compare yourself to a fictional character from literature

Wasnt it something about being on a deserted island? I remember there were three, and I think we had to pick two.

Back