• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Cam isn't a pg and shitting on him as if he was is... well, shitty.
I don’t think Blue was shitting on cam. I think he was acknowledging that cam is not a point guard, but is also our team’s second best ball handler. In absence of a Transfer point guard, he will be having a lot of primary ball handling responsibilities (especially if our only PG is coming off an injury that can be nagging).

Yeah, that's how I read it. Kind of a good news, bad news scenario if we don't have any roster changes.

Good news: We return pretty much everyone... Core of Monsanto, Hildreth, Klintman, and Carr is pretty strong. Marsh, Keller, and others can and will improve. Freshman coming in should compete for minutes.
Bad news: We lose our best player and the guy that makes everything go on offense... With nobody, aside from maybe Ituka, capable of stepping into that role.

I'm still high on Ituka. I don't think we ever saw him at even close to 100%. But it is a big ask to just put him at PG without anyone else to help shoulder the load.

If the past 10+ years have taught me anything, someone will transfer. Feels like we have more transfers than any other Power 5.

If the past 10+ years have taught me anything, someone will transfer. Feels like we have more transfers than any other Power 5.

Agree that there will likely be 1-2.

But last year there was only 1 (Carter Whitt).

The year before that, there were a ton due to the need to overhaul the roster (and because we still had a number of Manning recruits with no ties to Forbes, aside from one miserable COVID season).

I guess there's no avoiding the Cam hate, but his handle improved all year even when his offense struggled. He brought it up plenty to give Appleby a rest, and even handled pressure pretty well. If Ituka is looking like he's going to be back at 100%, Forbes could actually take a shooting guard if there's more talent in the portal at that spot versus a true point guard.

Cam/Carr/Monsanto is a solid starting core, and the Ituka/Bobi/Marsh crew is solid depth. If we want to be a tourney team we could use a guard who can create on offense and a legit big. The latter probably not happening though...

I don’t think Blue was shitting on cam. I think he was acknowledging that cam is not a point guard, but is also our team’s second best ball handler. In absence of a Transfer point guard, he will be having a lot of primary ball handling responsibilities (especially if our only PG is coming off an injury that can be nagging).
Thank you. Pretty much what I was meaning. It was also to highlight how much of a clear number one priority a point guard from the portal has to be.

Ituka is a giant question mark. The injury is a big part of that. Also, he was at Marist before transferring to Wake. He didn't have any notable moments against P6 competition there. He wasn't practicing against P6 level point guards there. The one positive data point is that Ituka played well against Ohio State in the "secret scrimmage."

IMHO, it would be coaching malpractice to expect Jao Ituka to play 38-40 minutes per game like Appleby is doing.

Rob McCray was evaluated as a "combo guard" coming out of HS. Two years at Wake and a massive need at PG haven't led to him seeing much playing time so the inference is that his PG skills aren't that good as of this season.

I have zero information about how likely Ituka will be ready to play and at what level in 2023-2024.

A high level capable point guard is a necessity for success. Portal looks like the most likely place to get one. That means somebody would need to leave. That is not ideal, but is the reality of today.

Can't really find any info on this guy but he seems like he'd be a good under the radar target. Statistically checks boxes and plays for a winning team.

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Im dreaming we see a startling lineup what looked like the 05 roster. Stud pg (tbd) Monsanto and Parker also in the backcourt (Gray and Downey) Carr is Levy, and Marsh is Big E (if he lives in the gym all summer with a drill sargent) 🤩

With an offseason to work on conditioning is it possible for Marsh to play 30 minutes a game next year? Don't know how realistic that is for a big guy

With an offseason to work on conditioning is it possible for Marsh to play 30 minutes a game next year? Don't know how realistic that is for a big guy

28-30, sure. Doral Moore went from 8 mpg to 25.5

I guess there's no avoiding the Cam hate, but his handle improved all year even when his offense struggled. He brought it up plenty to give Appleby a rest, and even handled pressure pretty well. If Ituka is looking like he's going to be back at 100%, Forbes could actually take a shooting guard if there's more talent in the portal at that spot versus a true point guard.

Cam/Carr/Monsanto is a solid starting core, and the Ituka/Bobi/Marsh crew is solid depth. If we want to be a tourney team we could use a guard who can create on offense and a legit big. The latter probably not happening though...
mostly agree that this could work.

i really don't understand the cam hate. really odd for a guy that works as hard as he does every game and has improved his weaknesses, in part, because those are all team weaknesses. he put on his big boy pants and tries to do what others can't even at the expense of his individual game.

I also don't understand the Cam hate, but I don't see anyone on this thread exhibiting it.

Yeah, potential '24 1st Round pick is an eye-popping statement.

But if he makes a leap next year, I get it.

6'9" shooter that can defend, rebound, and handle the ball a little bit?

If he gets stronger this summer (and he should), he could be really good next year.

Yeah, potential '24 1st Round pick is an eye-popping statement.

But if he makes a leap next year, I get it.

6'9" shooter that can defend, rebound, and handle the ball a little bit?

If he gets stronger this summer (and he should), he could be really good next year.
That feels correct to me. He's got the physical tools.

Vecenie is one of the lead NBA draft experts at The Athletic. He loves to find guys nobody else is talking about. Bobi certainly checks a lot of the boxes. The big questions are if he’ll put it together next season and if Wake can win if he does.

Back