• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Not sure I see the need for another wing. At the 2 we will have Cam starting and playing 30+, with Parker Friedrichsen, Damari, and possibly Ituka filling in minutes behind him. At the 3 we will see a lot of Damari and Bobi and will probably have at least one if not both of them on the floor at all times. The 4 will see contributions from Carr, Bobi, MMM and potentially Keller. The 5 will likely be split between a transfer, Carr, and Marsh/Keller. The only scenarios I really see that would create room for an additional wing would be if Monsanto isn't healthy or if we don't find a suitable 5 in the portal and end up playing Carr more at the 5 and Bobi more at the 4, in which case another forward with size would be helpful.

I know Forbes likes to talk about having "13 ACC players", but that's not really possible when the deepest of teams play a 9 man rotation. This is part of how the portal has commoditized players. We bring in 13 guys we think can help, chase off the ones that don't, rinse and repeat knowing all along that there is no way there is room for 13 ACC level players. It's a terrible cycle for players. Years ago, you would hold on to guys like Taylor and McCray and they would likely play as upperclassmen, but now you chase them off and get another massive haul of players, before repeating the cycle again with them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the program treating players as commodities in this way, and I had no problem with Bradford voicing his discontent on social media when it became clear to him that he was brought in as a temporary commodity and chased off to make room for the next batch.

TAKE IT TO THE OTHER THREAD MAN - COME ON!

Your first paragraph makes total sense, and reasonable minds can disagree on where we need guys/especially at the wing, but my goodness the second paragraph is just the same spouted points over and over and over again.

Getting a defensive stopper at the 3 who can fill in backup mins for Damari if he's out/in foul trouble/not healed, while we have Parker/another shooter in at the 2 makes a lot of sense in my opinion. Not to mention late in a game where we need somebody to lock a guy down for a defensive stop. He brings a skill set that literally nobody else on this team has.

Yeah please dude...we've all been chill...Just take to the designated thread for this.

I am still firmly in the boat for another PG and a PF/C.

We also have 6’6” Clark coming next year. I think the 3 is full.

Yeah but if we can get the MTSU kid we have to take him. Would immediately help us defensively. He and Can would provide some great on ball defense.

Can't use a wing?

Two pg's coming off injury and from lesser leagues.

Monsanto coming off injury.

Limited quickness on the wings unless bobi makes a huge leap.

3 Freshman.

These are all unknown quantities at this point. The play is still a big that can defend and the bpa. 2/3 makes the most sense. The team also needs vast defensive improvement so if you can add a lock down wing defender that could help cover for boopie and ituka's lack of height/length.

I think it's perfectly fair to share a roster construction strategy thought in the roster construction thread lol. I also think it's pretty normal to not think having 3+ transfers out annually is good, but perhaps I am overthinking. Let's say we have a 10 man rotation, which is probably a stretch as 8-9 is typical. Questionable spots are in brackets:

PG: ACC POY Boopie, Ituka
SG: Cam, [one of Parker F. or transferA], Damari
SF: Bobi, Damari, [TransferA?]
PF: Carr, Bobi, MMM
C: TransferB, Carr, [one of Keller or Marsh]

DNP: Clark [Friedrichsen] [Keller or Marsh]

I guess I can see us bringing in a wing, but we would have to be comfortable and honest about the fact that it would mean not playing much of our best freshman class in years.

I don’t see the freshmen getting more than spot minutes. We are trying to construct an NCAA team and given their rankings, historically, they will not contribute much, especially at the beginning of the year in order for a team to be NCAA caliber. I hope they come out and blow the doors off and prove l me wrong though. That immediately gets our playing roster to 10 guys and I suspect one of Marsh or Keller will be an odd guy out too, bringing it to 9 legit players in the rotation night in and night out.

if you're picking a Deac from the last 10 years to add to this team, who do you pick?

criteria is that it can't be a player that was all-ACC honorable mention or higher

I am sorry, Ituka as our only other PG scares me. His stats say SG, but I understand we think PG. just not sold on that.

if you're picking a Deac from the last 10 years to add to this team, who do you pick?

criteria is that it can't be a player that was all-ACC honorable mention or higher
Am I crazy to say Devin Thomas? The rebounding would help a lot

He was on the All ACC freshman team, not sure if that is against the criteria or not

If we're limiting it to dudes who never got All-ACC recognition I'm going junior year Doral Moore

Doral Moore, Sarr, Dinos, Chaundee Brown would all probably be in contention (along with Walton) for me assuming they meet the criteria. I thought Thomas made an all-ACC team at some point?

Back