• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I didn't mean to suggest that they don't have the manpower to do it. More so that they are forced to spend time on it while they are still competing for a championship.

Even if the head coach isn't doing the recruiting himself yet (he's not), he still has to be a part of the conversations in figuring out which guys are worth talking to. Unless their staff is just contacting anyone that may be a fit and then the HC is going to come in later and weed out the ones he doesn't like.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you think college football/basketball head coaches OK every piece of recruiting material/contact that goes out? Schools reach out to hundreds (maybe thousands in some football) of players a year.

I've been looking for that Manning Dove tweet for 15 minutes now and I can't find it. Bummer.

I did, however, go down the rabbit hole of the recruiting thread from 2 years ago and holy shit did we offer some players that have absolutely sucked elsewhere.

5 star - #31 in class of '21 - Has sucked for Arizona State

And now he's in the portal!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you think college football/basketball head coaches OK every piece of recruiting material/contact that goes out? Schools reach out to hundreds (maybe thousands in some football) of players a year.
Of course not.

But it's disingenuous to compare the contacting of a high school football recruit to the fast paced recruitment of a basketball transfer portal entrant, especially one that typically commits less than a month after opening up his recruitment.

Only real question for me with Bobi is defense. If he can guard the 3, he has a legitimate chance at being a lottery pick either next year or the year after. If he bulks and only guards the 4 I think he still has a future, but his pro ceiling is different. Offensively I think he is well on his way to being effective in both roles.

I doubt any of the current candidates being discussed as transfers to WFU arrive in Winston-Salem. Forbes will look for a five with high major experience. Walton, Sy and Bradford fit that model. He recruits offense and teaches defense. There is a big difference defending high major wings and mid major wings. Grad transfers have to bring the goods immediately. There is no acclimation period.

I doubt any of the current candidates being discussed as transfers to WFU arrive in Winston-Salem. Forbes will look for a five with high major experience. Walton, Sy and Bradford fit that model. He recruits offense and teaches defense. There is a big difference defending high major wings and mid major wings. Grad transfers have to bring the goods immediately. There is no acclimation period.
This notion of teaching defense doesn't seem to work out so well. Some players just have a better knack for defense than others. They think of the angles and positioning (Rodman) or they're really athletic but not great shooters (LD Williams).

Back