• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

if you're picking a Deac from the last 10 years to add to this team, who do you pick?

criteria is that it can't be a player that was all-ACC honorable mention or higher
Dallas Walton. Rim protecting big that can also pick and pop. Solves the obvious remaining need.

Doral Moore, Sarr, Dinos, Chaundee Brown would all probably be in contention (along with Walton) for me assuming they meet the criteria. I thought Thomas made an all-ACC team at some point?
From his CBBref page the only award I'm seeing for Thomas is the All ACC freshman team, which I assume didn't count against the overall All ACC criteria.

If he's eligible, I think Thomas would help this team more than Walton. This team has a bigger need for improved rebounding than it does having a center who can shoot the ball.

From his CBBref page the only award I'm seeing for Thomas is the All ACC freshman team, which I assume didn't count against the overall All ACC criteria.

If he's eligible, I think Thomas would help this team more than Walton. This team has a bigger need for improved rebounding than it does having a center who can shoot the ball.

It’s not the shooting we are missing, it’s the rim protection. Dallas was awesome there. Doral and upper classman Sarr would work too.

Hildreth can defend a similar sized guard and shut him down. He’s not as effective against a taller wing (Wong). So a good wing defender with some length and quickness would be a nice addition.

It’s not the shooting we are missing, it’s the rim protection. Dallas was awesome there. Doral and upper classman Sarr would work too.
Senior year Devin Thomas had a Block % of 5.0 to go along with a Total Rebound % of 17.8. Senior year Dallas Walton had a Block % of 5.6 to go along with a Total Rebound % of 11.6.

Walton was the better defender, but I'd still take Thomas. Especially considering Thomas was coached by Danny Manning (who sucks) so he would probably be an even better player than his stats indicate.

Yeah Forbes has a solid track record thus far dealing with one talented headcase (sorry, Damari, love u). DT could have been a monster under him.

Checking out some different names and came across Payton Sparks for Ball State.

6'9 and 240 - has 3 years left. 110 ortg, 345th in block percentage, 3rd in FT Rate and 16th in fouls drawn per 40, BUT he shot 51% from the line on 200 attempts after shooting 70% as a freshman on basically the same number. Doesn't shoot 3's, and is a pretty solid rebounder. His third most likely comp is Jordan Minor from 2021, so that's interesting.

Doesn't look like we're on the initial list of who has reached out. Does include some heavy hitters in Arkansas, Wiscy, Oklahoma, etc.

Doesn't look like we're on the initial list of who has reached out. Does include some heavy hitters in Arkansas, Wiscy, Oklahoma, etc.
I completely understand it, but it's still crazy to me that a team still alive in the Sweet 16 (Arkansas) is out here reaching out to transfers for next year's team.

I completely understand it, but it's still crazy to me that a team still alive in the Sweet 16 (Arkansas) is out here reaching out to transfers for next year's team.
Have you looked at college benches lately? There are so many f-ing coaches. Just looked at the Arkansas coaching staff. They have a HC (Musselman), then three full time assistant coaches, a director of operations, a director of student development, a "special assistant to the HC", a video coordinator, and then a "director of recruiting" (who is Mussleman's kid) and then a 2nd recruiting coordinator. Arkansas also has SEVEN graduate assistant coaches. By my count that is a a staff of 17 (which is hilarious given the roster is capped at 13 scholarship players), not including the trainers and the strength coaches. Arkansas has the administration in place to vet every player in the portal, and be fully prepared for UCONN this week. Even so, about 10 of them probably aren't doing much.

Have you looked at college benches lately? There are so many f-ing coaches. Just looked at the Arkansas coaching staff. They have a HC (Musselman), then three full time assistant coaches, a director of operations, a director of student development, a "special assistant to the HC", a video coordinator, and then a "director of recruiting" (who is Mussleman's kid) and then a 2nd recruiting coordinator. Arkansas also has SEVEN graduate assistant coaches. By my count that is a a staff of 17, not including the trainers and the strength coaches. They have the administration in place to vet every player in the portal, and be fully prepared for UCONN this week. Even so, about 10 of them probably aren't doing much.
I didn't mean to suggest that they don't have the manpower to do it. More so that they are forced to spend time on it while they are still competing for a championship.

Even if the head coach isn't doing the recruiting himself yet (he's not), he still has to be a part of the conversations in figuring out which guys are worth talking to. Unless their staff is just contacting anyone that may be a fit and then the HC is going to come in later and weed out the ones he doesn't like.

Doral Moore, Sarr, Dinos, Chaundee Brown would all probably be in contention (along with Walton) for me assuming they meet the criteria. I thought Thomas made an all-ACC team at some point?
Out of those names Sarr was definitely on an All Acc team his last year at Wake...probably 3rd

Back