• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

It seems like he’ll probably go through the evaluation process and the feedback there will probably be critical. A lot of the mock draft writeups about him seem to project a lot based on his physical abilities more than what he’s actually done on the court. Capable three point shooter but taking mostly open shots. Good but not great handle. Seems like he has the tools to be a great defender but was kind of underwhelming on that front to me. I could see a case for him staying or going.

In the after game press comments featuring Cam & Silas, Hunter stated how he liked Wake. His 1st comment sounded in a past tense but then stated how he looked forward to more. Sounded like he planned to be back to, me.
If I remember correctly, that was an answer to the same question where Forbes said they'd play in some tournament that starts with an N, NCAA or NIT. So that's what Sallis looked forward to.

In the after game press comments featuring Cam & Silas, Hunter stated how he liked Wake. His 1st comment sounded in a past tense but then stated how he looked forward to more. Sounded like he planned to be back to, me.
I mean it’s not like he’s a freshman that was always planning to be a one and done. It’s pretty reasonable to think that he’s not 100% sure whether he’s staying or going at this point.

That being said, once he starts going through the pre-draft process and gets feedback that he’s going to be a first round pick, he is absolutely going to leave and should leave

I mean it’s not like he’s a freshman that was always planning to be a one and done. It’s pretty reasonable to think that he’s not 100% sure whether he’s staying or going at this point.

That being said, once he starts going through the pre-draft process and gets feedback that he’s going to be a first round pick, he is absolutely going to leave and should leave
No. He's a junior who was always planning to be a one and done. He was a McDonald's AA.

No. He's a junior who was always planning to be a one and done. He was a McDonald's AA.
Yes. But my point was that he didn’t come into this season with a concrete plan to be in the upcoming NBA draft. Of course it was his goal, but I’d be very surprised if that was his expectation.

agree with deacon14, if Sallis is given a 1st round promise (which essentially means nothing) then he should go to the NBA. without that, and with NIL, I think we will see him return for his SR year and get his degree. whatever he chooses, i think he is a good kid and will make an informed decision.

I am very much looking forward to a Hildreth healthy SR year, before his injury he was playing great! Carr, man I hope he stays. I don't suspect him to get too much NBA attention, so that is in our favor, and I think he likes it here. It would be a Yuge coup to have at least 4 of our starters and PFred to return! if we get the full 6-pack, watch out...Forbes has proven to be very good in the portal and expect more of the same!

To me, it seems like he corrected himself because of the NIT. It seems unlikely he is coming back unless his draft stock has plummeted.

Does he say this somewhere or are you speculating? Not all McDonald's all americans are one and done

Curious what it would take to get Sallis to return. Under normal circumstances I’d put him at 0.0% chance of returning but perhaps NIL could get him to stick around. What does an All ACC player command in that market?
As others have said Hunter is no lock for 1st round with his sporadic play near season end (3 of 4 mocks out recently have him solidly in round 2 in 35 range) so NIL has to look very attractive to give you another year to develop and improve draft status if nil is close to 1st year salary for a high 2nd round pick. Hunter went from off the radar to a valuable commodity in just one season under Forbes and he might think another year could only further help improve his draft status if he thinks other teammates are staying as well and possibly jump into lottery with more national attention. Who knows what reality is with his draft status is but do think there are some very compelling reasons for young man to stay.

Reactions: mop
Man if we can add another big with Reid and Carr, then add some guard help with boopie juke cam parker.

As others have said Hunter is no lock for 1st round with his sporadic play near season end (3 of 4 mocks out recently have him solidly in round 2 in 35 range) so NIL has to look very attractive to give you another year to develop and improve draft status if nil is close to 1st year salary for a high 2nd round pick. Hunter went from off the radar to a valuable commodity in just one season under Forbes and he might think another year could only further help improve his draft status if he thinks other teammates are staying as well and possibly jump into lottery with more national attention. Who knows what reality is with his draft status is but do think there are some very compelling reasons for young man to stay.
In this situation, where it is iffy, have we ever had someone stay?

agree with deacon14, if Sallis is given a 1st round promise (which essentially means nothing) then he should go to the NBA. without that, and with NIL, I think we will see him return for his SR year and get his degree. whatever he chooses, i think he is a good kid and will make an informed decision.

I am very much looking forward to a Hildreth healthy SR year, before his injury he was playing great! Carr, man I hope he stays. I don't suspect him to get too much NBA attention, so that is in our favor, and I think he likes it here. It would be a Yuge coup to have at least 4 of our starters and PFred to return! if we get the full 6-pack, watch out...Forbes has proven to be very good in the portal and expect more of the same!
Will the portal magic work to get good players on the bench? We know it works to get starters.

In this situation, where it is iffy, have we ever had someone stay?
Great ? as not many come to mind as Alondes was iffy but was out of eligibility so had to go. Don’t count klintmann as that was just a young kid getting played by an agent and think Hunter is smarter and has better counsel in his life.

Even more though, Laravia, Teague, Johnson, CP3. Aminu. A lot of them made the right decision, I just can't remember one going our way

Even more though, Laravia, Teague, Johnson, CP3. Aminu. A lot of them made the right decision, I just can't remember one going our way
All of those were first rounders if not mistaken so a bit different than a guy in high 2nd in most mocks.

All of those were first rounders if not mistaken so a bit different than a guy in high 2nd in most mocks.
Obviously cp3 and aminu were lottery and the rest were top 20 and very few have Hunter anywhere near that high.

I think those of you getting your hopes up about Sallis staying are going to be disappointed. Sallis has a real NBA skillset, as opposed to some other guys that stay in college forever like Edey and Bacot. Assuming he does well in the pre-draft process, his floor is probably the early second round, and I think I'd advise any college upperclassman to declare for the draft in that scenario.

Even if Sallis goes, Wake should return plenty of talent for 2024-2025. Miller, Hildreth, Friedrichsen, Reid, Carr(?), Harris is a solid core of players, and then it's reasonable to assume that Forbes will land at least one impact transfer. And then at least some of the current depth pieces (Marion, Canka, Marsh, Keller) will likely stick around. With that said, it's tournament or bust for Forbes next year.

Back