• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

To be clear, I am not suggesting I thought Sallis would stay (or should). Just pointing out the fallacy of "Wake can use NIL to keep him."
It must also be pointed out that if Sallis were to fall to a 2nd round pick, that is not a guaranteed contract. So like Hoard & Alondes, at best a two-way. That could mean that our NIL monies are better than going NBA. Sure paid off for Bacot.

He left college for the pros and then came back - that is just a job change, guess he did not like the pros or was better suited to coach college, does not mean he is a hypocrit. I am sure he got a big chunk of money to leave and comeback. That is what some coaches do over their careers. College has changed alot over the last few years and he did not like what it was becoming. If you are good with what is going on that is fine but it has just been a big change and he is opting out.
He negotiated big money contracts and essentially transferred for greener pastures. He’s complaining about players doing exactly that.

He negotiated big money contracts and essentially transferred for greener pastures. He’s complaining about players doing exactly that.
I am sure many coaches agree with him but you don't which is fine. I am with the camp that thinks a happy medium would be good. otherwise all of college will be just a minor league and if that is the case the big money schools will always take home the trophy.

I am sure many coaches agree with him but you don't which is fine. I am with the camp that thinks a happy medium would be good. otherwise all of college will be just a minor league and if that is the case the big money schools will always take home the trophy.

As opposed to now?

I just have a hard time listening to coaches preach on this when their ludicrous contracts are part of what has led to dismantling college athletics and conferences.

Nick Saban was a grad assistant at Kent State when he was 21 years old. He worked his ass off for thirty years to have the option of being a head coach in the NFL and the option to leave the NFL. I know you’re trying be cute, but making decisions across a 50-year coaching career and negotiating NIL deals with 17-year olds and their shithead parents isn’t the same thing.

Nick Saban was a grad assistant at Kent State when he was 21 years old. He worked his ass off for thirty years to have the option of being a head coach in the NFL and the option to leave the NFL. I know you’re trying be cute, but making decisions across a 50-year coaching career and negotiating NIL deals with 17-year olds and their shithead parents isn’t the same thing.
Why does Alabama want these 17 year olds so bad if they aren’t worth the money?

Who said they’re not worth the money ? Nick Saban can put you in the NFL where you might make more money than you can spend.

I didn’t even read saban’s comments as being against the new system, just realized he himself — at this point in his career — wasn’t cut out for it

It must also be pointed out that if Sallis were to fall to a 2nd round pick, that is not a guaranteed contract. So like Hoard & Alondes, at best a two-way. That could mean that our NIL monies are better than going NBA. Sure paid off for Bacot.
Top half of the second round is guaranteed these days, has been for several years.

Who said they’re not worth the money ? Nick Saban can put you in the NFL where you might make more money than you can spend.

Alabama football brings in a bunch of revenue on its own not merely as a training ground for the NFL.

Top half of the second round is guaranteed these days, has been for several years.
But usually just a year guaranteed whereas first round are 3 I believe. Too many variables if it was me cs getting great NIL and an insurance contract.

Scoooooooop !

Yet you claim the players aren’t worth paying with that revenue and instead focus on Saban’s role in helping them potentially get paid.

Yet you claim the players aren’t worth paying with that revenue and instead focus on Saban’s role in helping them potentially get paid.
I never said that. But thanks.

As opposed to now?
well in bball you have gonzaga, villanova, and many other smaller schools competing. Football has always been a different story where the big sold out stadiums, facilities, tv contracts rule. But Bball may follow suit if the fan base money dictates your starting five and players can change teams every year. obviously we compete quite nicely in other sports - baseball, soccer tennis etc.

But usually just a year guaranteed whereas first round are 3 I believe. Too many variables if it was me cs getting great NIL and an insurance contract.
First round has 2 guaranteed years. Years 3 and 4 are team options.

Last year the top ten picks in round two all had at least two years guaranteed.

Saban is a whiny bitch who couldn't cut it when players were actually paid, he knew that and he got out while his aura of invincibility was still intact. There's a reason he fled the NFL as soon as it was clear his bullshit wouldn't work on people pulling in seven figures and its the same reason he's tucking his tail between his legs and running now. And yes, I'm still mad about his tenure as head coach of the Dolphins.

Back