• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

McCray probably would have been a decent player off the bench. Scored over 18 a game on 50% shooting. Had 22 points on 14 shots against Purdue. Bench production was a weak spot all season and relying on Monsanto and Ituka was a risk that did not pay off.

McCray probably would have been a decent player off the bench. Scored over 18 a game on 50% shooting. Had 22 points on 14 shots against Purdue. Bench production was a weak spot all season and relying on Monsanto and Ituka was a risk that did not pay off.
Possibly, but no likelihood that he’d have scored anything close to that for Wake.

Not sure why Rob was redshirted. Did he know he was transferring in November? Would’ve rather seen him on the court than Taylor

yea i mean especially bc monsanto and ituka were coming off of injuries

that was a helluva risk taken by forbes that just did not pay off at all

but you win some and you lose some

i'd rather us have Riverboat Forbes than Redacted Forbes

An 8 point a game wing off of the bench would have made a massive difference.
Meh, yes, but still no reason to believe from his several years here that he’d score eight a game either. What was his average score per game here?

Wasn’t it previously established that he was a chucker to get those numbers?

A chucker as one option of the bench isn’t a bad thing.

McCray didn’t have much of an outside shot and his handle got eaten up by ACC defenders. Who cares what he did in the A-Sun conference or whatever? Marion would average a double-double there too.

McCray redshirted in November 2022, and my understanding was he was headed out the door.

If there was a choice between a rehabbing Monsanto and McCray for this past season, to suggest that McCray would be the better choice...well that is something.

Not sure why Rob was redshirted. Did he know he was transferring in November? Would’ve rather seen him on the court than Taylor

I have vague recollection that Rob had a minor injury that kept him out of November and December games, then there was mutual agreement to redshirt the rest of the season. Forbes didn't see him as a contributor and Rob didn't want to waste a year if he wasn't getting minutes.

Not that it would happen but could McCray come back to wake?
I have zero inside knowledge, but he has a bunch of credit from Wake, so he shouldn't have th issue many other upper class transfer students would have.with lacking credits "acceptable" by Wake.

Had Forbes figured out a loan system for transfers? Recruit them as freshmen and see if they earn playing time. If they don’t, redshirt them to get a second year of Wake credits. Let them transfer to a midmajor or low major to get playing time then bring them back to Wake for a year or two.

I don’t see a reason that wouldn’t work under the current system.

I have vague recollection that Rob had a minor injury that kept him out of November and December games, then there was mutual agreement to redshirt the rest of the season. Forbes didn't see him as a contributor and Rob didn't want to waste a year if he wasn't getting minutes.
That would be because, despite efforts to enable him to be the scorer he should/could have been, it never happened with younger kids passing him in productivity and defensively.

McCray didn’t have much of an outside shot and his handle got eaten up by ACC defenders. Who cares what he did in the A-Sun conference or whatever? Marion would average a double-double there too.

Did he ever play against ACC defenders?

Not sure anybody outside of the program actually knows how good or bad McCray was at basketball at Wake

Did he ever play against ACC defenders?

Not sure anybody outside of the program actually knows how good or bad McCray was at basketball at Wake
He played against "ACC level" players in practices at Wake.

He played against "ACC level" players in practices at Wake.

Sure but DCDeac is out here pretending like he saw McCray play meaningful basketball.

He looked great in the very few minutes of garbage time he logged for Wake.

McCray played in like 15 games for Wake. I actually did see him play in person. And in practice against our own guys. He didn't play important minutes and he looked very clearly not up to the task in those minutes despite playing against mostly 2nd squad guys. He had some cool moments, I liked him and wanted him to stay.

Not sure what to tell you considering Forbes let him walk. He in no way "looked great." He looked like an unpolished athlete who could eventually be a solid backup guard as his ceiling in a legit program. I'd guess he and Forbes had a no bullshit discussion and he left to have a chance to start in a lesser conference. He's not better than Parker so it probably worked out for both sides?

I'm sure there are people like Strick who think Boopie and McCray are at similar levels because they don't like Boopie's assist numbers. Enjoy your opinions.

Back