• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

NIL for Baseball is huge because of the scholarship limits and the fact we're a private school in NC . NIL fixes what used to be a big weakness. We have the facilities and the pitching lab.

It hasn't happened for us yet but IMO UMiami having a good NIL collective got them to a Final Four.

Correct! Most donors that give have earmarked funds for specific sports (or said I want a % to go here, and a % to go here). No surprise that football, mbb, and baseball have the lions share of contributions.

We do have $ coming in for men's golf (+ more RTQ news coming soon for that program around a big NIL event in Winston this fall - make sure you stick around on Saturday after the Friday night Cal football game). RTQ will also have 6-figures available for WBB in 2024.
Old Town outing?!?

Man, people here are experts about how to spend other people's money.

The claim that WF should devote its NIL dollars to one sport over another misses the mark as to how NIL generally works, especially for the big money contributors.

Sorry, but Bob McCreary isn't giving seven figues to WF NIL to spend it on anything other than football. Same with David Couch in baseball, Ben Sutton football/basketball and Mit Shah in basketball; women's golf has some big backers too. These are just the donors we know about. The reason why there has been little NIL spent on women's basketball is that none of the whale donors have earmarked their money for that sport.

The easiest way to lose NIL donors is to tell them: "Thanks a lot for your NIL contribution for football, but we think that sport is a lost cause for WF; so, your money is better spent on bringing in a men's basketball stretch 4 from North Dakota State; or women's basketball 5 from Davidson." There is some limited NIL money that can be generally spent, which is sprinkled among all WF sports, but the money that makes a difference for a particular player comes from big donors who are involved in the decision-making process (also, even for those that give $50 a month to NIL can earmark that contribution for a particular sport if they choose to do so... and many do).

So, there will never be a decision to short the football program and to divert contributions to men's basketball or women's basketball (which is hilarious to me - the women's basketball program has had virtually no major benefactor, they need money; if you truly care about that program, make an NIL donation earmarked from women's hoop; otherwise, STFU because no else has done that, including those here claiming money should be spent to women's hoop; if you really believe that WF women's basketball merit's NIL support, there is a platform for you to start that campaign, but right now, the money says there is little interest).

You make a lot of good points on this board; arguably its best contributor. Thank goodness you’re never preachy about them ;)

I’m trying not to overreact to this news, but it’s still a bummer. It makes it really hard to love college sports when your team is constantly changing. Watching guys grow was a big part of the appeal. Feeling like you knew them. Feeling like they loved the same school that you do. That’s all lost. I’m one hundred percent in on paying players, but they need to sign contracts and be done with it. The only people who seem into the NCAAT this year are people betting on games. It really sucks.
Fantastic post. Sums my feelings up perfectly.

Why couldn't we win a national title in football? We were ranked #10 like two years ago. To me that's a lot closer than basketball has been in over a decade
Hypothetically, Wake wins the ACC championship or get an at-large bid, landing somewhere in the 8-12 seed range for the CFB Playoffs. I could see Wake could winning their first game to advance to the quarterfinals, given the right opponent. However, the idea of beating three top-8 teams consecutively in the playoffs isn't realistic, even if every conceivable advantage were in Wake's favor, like avoiding injuries and drawing favorable matchups. Also, the ACC will have years where it sends two teams to the playoffs, but more often than not, it's going to be a one-bid conference. Especially if Florida State, Clemson, and potentially others exit the league.

Most on here would probably agree that the 2021 team was Wake's best. Yet, they were blown out by 15th-ranked Pittsburgh in the ACC Championship, a team that then lost to 10th-ranked Michigan State in the Fiesta Bowl. For Wake to win the CFB Playoff, they'd need to first beat a team as good or better than Pittsburgh to win the ACC title or finish something like 12-1 in the regular season. Then beat a team comparable to Michigan State to reach the quarterfinals. Then beat an Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. caliber team not once, but three times. To believe Wake could run this gauntlet requires a leap of faith beyond optimism.

In basketball, '95 and '05 were bonafide title contenders, but both faltered for different reasons. The '96, '97, '03, and '04 squads had Final Four potential had some circumstances played out differently. Going back further, both the '77 and '84 teams lost close games to the eventual champion in the Elite Eight. The '61 and '62 teams were as close as any. And then '01 and '09 were the ultimate wildcards. Both were good enough to make the Final Four if not for internal issues.

Tough to accept arguments based on WF basketball teams that played 20, 30 and even 60 years ago. Was a different world then. In the 60s, WF didn't even have black players.

If for whatever reason, you don't want to accept that the 2021 Wake Forest was a win away from the new CFP, TCU played for the football national championship after the 2022 season. They beat Michigan, Texas and Oklahoma that year. TCU has an enrollment of 10K, and is at best, the 5th most popular school in its home state.

Not saying either would be easy for WF, but to act like basketball success is far more likely than football success isn't proved by recent achievements of the two programs. Also, revenue-wise football is significantly more important than basketball. So, if WF did make the CFP and won a game , that might mean more to WF than winning a Natty in basketball. Baylor won the Natty in 2021. They are still Baylor; it's not like they are challenging Kansas for blue-blood status.

I am stunned by the damage that the 2023 season did to the self-perception of the WF football program here. Yeah, it was very disappointing, but even with as bad as last season was, WF was playing at Cuse for a bowl bid (granted it would have been with a 5-7 record). Perhaps, those on this board represent the most negative segment of the fanbase, but by the majority view here, you would think that WF was on 8 year run of 3 wins or less seasons with Ted Roof at the helm.

Not predicting WF to contend for the ACC title in 2024, and while its hard to know until they actually play, it appears that WF is recruiting HS players on as high a level as it ever has, and by my count, Clawson has been a HC for 24 seasons, and had 8 losing seasons. Almost of those came at the beginning of his tenure at each school, when they were at the lowest point. Don't think Clawson has lost his ability to coach and win.

Last edited:
Watched some film on him. Absolute machine in the paint. Would give some presence that I think Wake could really use. His dunk numbers are nuts.
Give Efton some lessons on not leaving the paint and NOT taking any 3’s. “There is a reason you are open from out there.”
Leaving Withers wide open from 3 worked for Bama last night as they baited him into taking it at a key point in the game.

Probably just the commie-lib in me, but I think a reasonable percentage of all NIL donations should automatically go to women’s sports.
Can’t say I agree with that. The giver of the dollars gets to earmark what sport they want it to go to. It is not going into a fund that is Wake Forest (tax deductible for schollies).

Last edited:
Back