• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Tough to accept arguments based on WF basketball teams that played 20, 30 and even 60 years ago. Was a different world then. In the 60s, WF didn't even have black players.

If for whatever reason, you don't want to accept that the 2021 Wake Forest was a win away from the new CFP, TCU played for the football national championship after the 2022 season. They beat Michigan, Texas and Oklahoma that year. TCU has an enrollment of 10K, and is at best, the 5th most popular school in its home state.

Not saying either would be easy for WF, but to act like basketball success is far more likely than football success isn't proved by recent achievements of the two programs. Also, revenue-wise football is significantly more important than basketball. So, if WF did make the CFP and won a game , that might mean more to WF than winning a Natty in basketball. Baylor won the Natty in 2021. They are still Baylor; it's not like they are challenging Kansas for blue-blood status.

I am stunned by the damage that the 2023 season did to the self-perception of the WF football program here. Yeah, it was very disappointing, but even with as bad as last season was, WF was playing at Cuse for a bowl bid (granted it would have been with a 5-7 record). Perhaps, those on this board represent the most negative segment of the fanbase, but by the majority view here, you would think that WF was on 8 year run of 3 wins or less seasons with Ted Roof at the helm.

Not predicting WF to contend for the ACC title in 2024, and while its hard to know until they actually play, it appears that WF is recruiting HS players on as high a level as it ever has, and by my count, Clawson has been a HC for 24 seasons, and had 8 losing seasons. Almost of those came at the beginning of his tenure at each school, when they were at the lowest point. Don't think Clawson has lost his ability to coach and win.
Wake was one win away from having to win four games in the new format. TCU was in a four-team playoff and got utterly eviscerated by Georgia.

To your point about the lack of recent evidence for basketball, from the Rutgers game to the Duke game, Wake was the #12 team in the country in pure performance. If everything breaks right this offseason (Sallis comes back, no other bad portal surprises, add quality depth, find a Boopie replacement that is as good or better), I genuinely think Wake has a chance to win the national title next year. A lot of ifs, but it is a real possibility.

Big 12 had the nations best NET average and best strength of schedule. They got eight teams into the field. At this point there are no remaining big 12 teams- all have lost. They had two teams reach the sweet sixteen (Houston and Iowa State). Both lost. Outside of Houston I think they played a soft out of conference schedule and essentially were able to game the numbers. Hard to argue they were a better conference than the ACC. Same with the MWC

Last edited:
With regard to my Purdue question, I've seen elsewhere that Zach Edey is making about 800k in NIL this year. That's not substantially higher than what I've heard we would pay Hunter to return, hence my question.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nobody cares about women's sports.
Literally all of the ratings show that’s not true. Ratings are way up. My eleven year old and all his friends did women’s brackets and are genuinely into their tournament. Women’s sports, specifically basketball, are more popular than they’ve ever been.

Last edited:
With regard to my Purdue question, I've seen elsewhere that Zach Edey is making about 800k in NIL this year. That's not substantially higher than what I've heard we would pay Hunter to return, hence my question.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I hope we find a way to pay Hunter whatever it takes. Same with an elite PG.

Literally all of the rating show that’s not true. Ratings are way up. My eleven year old and all his friends did women’s brackets and are genuinely into their tournament. Women’s sports, specifically basketball, are more popular than they’ve ever been.
Agreed. The softball CWS has also outdrawn the baseball one. We desperately need a softball team.

Agreed. The softball CWS has also outdrawn the baseball one. We desperately need a softball team.

I would be interested in seeing some charts on adding sports. Can’t imagine this is a landscape where it makes sense to add anything. Even the two big conferences seem to fear monger about retraction all the time.

I would be interested in seeing some charts on adding sports. Can’t imagine this is a landscape where it makes sense to add anything. Even the two big conferences seem to fear monger about retraction all the time.
I hear you but Clemson has added both women’s lacrosse and softball in the last few years and they’ve been immediately successful. I wouldn’t think they’d add them if it wasn’t revenue positive.

William Kyle is 6'9 with 44 inch vertical and really long arms to boot. High motor and aggressive. Definitely an interior player. Appears to be able to hit a hook shot consistently as opposed to Efton. Think he could play with Efton or with Carr. Hell, maybe even slide Carr over to 3 offensively and play them all together. He seems quick and possible could D the 3. Me likey and Wake needy. Sign him, a 3-4, PG and best available for the rest to provide depth. Bring back Sallis and this is a deep tourney team.

I hear you but Clemson has added both women’s lacrosse and softball in the last few years and they’ve been immediately successful. I wouldn’t think they’d add them if it wasn’t revenue positive.

The bar for revenue neutrality with Wake’s ability to sell tickets is high.

Clemson women's lacrosse does not make money.
Clemson added lacrosse and softball because it was out of compliance with Title IX. It initially canned two men's sports but, facing backlash, reinstated those sports and added women's sports. It is not revenue positive.

CORONAVIRUS CHANGES PLANS The university’s addition of women’s lacrosse and gymnastics teams that summer marked the end of a messy saga. Clemson initially decided to cut its men’s track and field and cross country programs in November 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic. The athletic department walked that decision back five months later in April 2021 amid public backlash and, following the reinstatement of the men’s programs, was legally required under Title IX legislation to add roughly 50 more “participation opportunities” for women at Clemson.

Clemson announced in June 2021 it would add women’s lacrosse and gymnastics programs to address that deficit, and by August they’d poached Kwolek — one of the top mid-major lacrosse coaches with two NCAA tournaments, two national top 10 rankings and a .800 winning percentage in eight seasons at Richmond — to lead the charge for the Tigers.

Back