• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

At this point, it's an admission that you are a small-time program if you are worried or complain about your players getting contacted by other schools prior to entering the portal.

I'm at the point where I assume that every halfway decent Wake football/basketball/baseball player is getting reached out to routinely by other schools.

When does inappropriate contact start? Is shaking his hand after the game okay because his season was over or should we have not been allowed to talk or touch him during said game because the season was still taking place?

Pilch a lot of these players have agents and they get contacted instead of the player directly. I am not sure the rules on that but know for a fact that it happens before the player is in the portal.
yes, but isn't that also the case for pro sports teams and there are still regulations on when you can have certain conversations with whom that are at least moderately enforced

Been away from this board for 12 hrs. on my return had to go through 10 pgs. to catch up with the news. At this rate, would expect several hundred pages on this thread with all the portal news etc.

At this point, it's an admission that you are a small-time program if you are worried or complain about your players getting contacted by other schools prior to entering the portal.

I'm at the point where I assume that every halfway decent Wake football/basketball/baseball player is getting reached out to routinely by other schools.
Didn't we get all hacked off about this last year when it was rumored UNC was courting Monsanto?

Been away from this board for 12 hrs. on my return had to go through 10 pgs. to catch up with the news. At this rate, would expect several hundred pages on this thread with all the portal news etc.
Yes, isn’t it wonderful

Reigning Sun Belt DPOY and current transfer portal entry Justin Abson retweeted Spillers's commitment. I'm curious as to whether they're close and how the staff feels about him vs. Kyle. Land either one of Abson or Kyle, and we'll be set in the frontcourt.

I just want to point out that minutes after I suggested RTQ try adding dental and vision coverage and retirement matching options to their NIL deals, we get our first big commitment of the spring. You’re welcome.

I just want to point out that minutes after I suggested RTQ try adding dental and vision coverage and retirement matching options to their NIL deals, we get our first big commitment of the spring. You’re welcome.
I heard it was the flex spending plan that sealed the deal.

Also, no staff would be stupid enough to directly contact a player at another school during the season to convince him to transfer; that's about the only thing that the NCAA can still govern and sanction a program for. Secondary contacts happen all of the time, and there is nothing the NCAA can do about that. For example, a booster for one school talks to a player's family member or former coach. That said, I vaguely remember Forbes talking to Spillers in the App/WF handshake line, but the Mountaineers season was over at that point.
Don’t downplay the role of recruiting advisors. They are in contact with collectives and coaching staffs. A typical conversation may be “one of my guys is a 6’7” forward who plays in the Sun Belt if you end up needing that”. These guys have huge boards with every school they have a relationship with and what their needs are or project to be, and then work to bring people together. It’s exactly the same as HS recruiting just done throughout a college career now

Excited about Spillers for sure to bring some toughness in addition to his efficient scoring and the rebounding and block rates. And also to piss off the App fans and that ass of a coach.

But almost even more exciting is what this represents. We just took a JuCo guy that hasn’t graduated yet and is a rising senior. Seems like a really strong indicator for a larger pool to draw from going forward.

is there any speculation on how JuCo will be affected -- if at all -- by the NIL new world order?

Maybe others won’t agree with this, but I hope we get Boopie to come back. Have watched a lot of tape out there for portal PGs and he honestly stands out. For his first year, I’d say he did pretty damn well here. Just hope he’s not asking for stupid money from everyone (including Wake) because if so…he could find himself not playing anywhere next season.

Maybe others won’t agree with this, but I hope we get Boopie to come back. Have watched a lot of tape out there for portal PGs and he honestly stands out. For his first year, I’d say he did pretty damn well here. Just hope he’s not asking for stupid money from everyone (including Wake) because if so…he could find himself not playing anywhere next season.
agree, especially if he makes some improvement on decision making and can dish out a few more assists. seems to me he is skilled enough to bring a bit more to his game next year.

agree, especially if he makes some improvement on decision making and can dish out a few more assists. seems to me he is skilled enough to bring a bit more to his game next year.
I’m okay with him coming back, but we need a backup.

Back