• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ Louisville – Sat 10/29 – 3:30 ACCN

Clawson's words as quoted in the writeup on godeacs.com

Credit to Louisville, Coach Satterfield, their coaching staff and their players. They completely outplayed us. They won both lines of scrimmage. They won on the perimeter. They deserved to win the game. We have a good football team, but I did not have us ready to go today. We're always a team that has taken care of the football. We started getting loose with it against Army. We were loose with it against BC. When you turnover the ball that much, you don't have any chance of winning the football game. On defense, we hung in there for a while and the turnovers started mounting and we gave up two trick plays for touchdowns. Just overall, a lack of discipline and we just didn't play Wake Forest football. Credit to them. They're good at creating pressure. They're good at getting turnovers. That was going to be the key to the game. We knew it. We talked about it all week. They did it and we didn't stop it. Disappointing but we have a good football team and we didn't play well. I know what our football team is made of. We have to come out next week and prove it.

Why doesn't every football defense blitz the blind side mercilessly and create turnovers every game.

Seems like offenses cannot stop that at all.

Why doesn't every football defense blitz the blind side mercilessly and create turnovers every game.

Seems like offenses cannot stop that at all.

Because a good OL, good routes, and a QB who can hit those receivers, throw the ball away, or at least hold on to the ball will eat it up.

Man, I envy those of you who were able to watch that yesterday and then turn around and talk about running the table. Feels like 8-4 is the absolute ceiling now.

I also have a bad feeling about this....

And I hate all the crap my so called "friends" have given me about Wake making more turnovers yesterday than a bakery. :(

The Deacons got beat on the line of scrimmage and between the ears. Offense, defense and coaching staff got waxed. Six turnovers and 35 points surrendered was the worst 15 minutes of football I have ever seen.

November is usually a tough month for the Deacons. The Deacs face four teams with a combined record of 24-8. Three of those teams are their historic rivals. Three are presently ranked. Injuries and lack of depth are not available as an excuse for poor performance this year. Questions about the strength and quality of this team will be answered.

Last edited:
The real test is November. Our 2 best seasons ever have had records of 3-1 (06) and 2-2 (21) in November. Cant recall any other winning Novembers, but they may be there.

3-1 will be a good finish. 2-2 or worse would be a massive disappointment.

Let’s be real, every season of this current era of Wake Football goes basically the same - we build momentum and stack up wins against a bad non-con schedule, then we get into the meat of our conference schedule and we go .500 in the back half of the season. It’s a great way to guarantee bowl eligibility every year, but anything beyond 8 wins or so is a bonus. If we really want to expect to win these last 4-5 games every season then we need deeper and more talented recruiting classes.

I've watched a lot of football in my lifetime and I don't ever recall a meltdown like yesterday's 3rd quarter. Aside from shitting the bed with turnovers, we also looked very unprepared.

What bothers me about this staff is that when we get punched in the mouth and our plan "A" is no longer working, we seem to have no plan "B" on offense and make adjustments. It's almost as if we panic.
I'm a huge Clawson supporter but I think he needs to encourage Warren to be more creative when the mesh is clearly not working.

All OL positions should be open tomorrow at practice. Find out who wants to fight and who doesn’t. Yesterday was a disgrace

I want to agree with this, but that game yesterday was really demoralizing and I'm concerned about the guys', and especially Sam's, ability to bounce back. It's not like the Clemson loss, where we went toe to toe with an elite program and just came up short thanks to the law of averages. We got absolutely trucked by a mediocre, undisciplined team whose coach is about to get fired. I'm still trying to sort out how the OL was so abysmally bad yesterday after holding their own against Clemson.

Louisville was obviously a lot more motivated since this game was pretty much their season. But we don't have any right to complain about lack of respect nationally with performances like that.
Was the OL that bad? Clawson seemed to think so...IOW, blame the players.

But how many sacks and hurries were the result of being outnumbered in the blocking scheme. Can 7 guys (C, 2Gs, 2Ts, TE, & RB block 8? It's difficult to tell on TV but it seemed Louisville rushed 8 more than once.

I'm sure some of those were blocking scheme but two plays that stood out to me were the left tackle getting his doors blown off by the DE and resulting in a fumble. The other was Jurgens getting driven backwards like a middle schooler for 10 yards resulting in a fumble. The 2015 O-line would have cringed at the way they performed Saturday.

The only game where "pressure" was a main reason we lost last year was Clemson, and our defense was so bad, it really didn't matter all that much (see Clemson this year).

And, if we're talking about "pressure" in terms of additional stress & expectations, we won the most "pressure-packed" game of the regular season last year beating State, which decided the Atlantic.

To say that last season "fell apart" is comical. This season could very well fall apart though, we'll start finding out Saturday night.

The next 3 games are obviously really tough with State, Carolina and Syracuse. Hopefully we regroup quickly and play much better the next 3 weeks.

WF football has won more than 8 games a grand total of 3 times, ever
WF football has had a winning record in ACC play 10 times, ever, out of the 69 (nice!) seasons of ACC football

WF did not fall apart last year and there is plenty to play for this year

Back