• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ NCST 8:00pm ACCN

My guess would be that he knows he's going to the draft this year and doesn't have the speed to be an NFL dual threat QB so is showcasing his ability as a pocket passer. There were multiple times including the final play of the state game where he had room to run but instead chose to pass even after stepping up in the pocket. Combine that with increased chance of injury before NFL payday with a QB sneak, I think Sam is purposely choosing not to use the QB part of the RPO. The QB has total control in an RPO and essentially chooses the play based on the read.
Wrong

My guess would be that he knows he's going to the draft this year and doesn't have the speed to be an NFL dual threat QB so is showcasing his ability as a pocket passer. There were multiple times including the final play of the state game where he had room to run but instead chose to pass even after stepping up in the pocket. Combine that with increased chance of injury before NFL payday with a QB sneak, I think Sam is purposely choosing not to use the QB part of the RPO. The QB has total control in an RPO and essentially chooses the play based on the read.
I doubt this is the reason.

For one, it contradicts Dave's leadership and system. He wasn't going to let a running back request more touches nor a QB move up the depth chart. It would be hypocritical for Dave to not allow Sam to run, simply to improve his pro prospects

If Sam is blatantly ignoring the running part of the RPO then Clawson would rip his head off and/or put a QB in who does run. I highly doubt this is what's going on.

It's probably, for whatever reason, the mindset of the coaching staff not to have Sam run very much.

If Sam is blatantly ignoring the running part of the RPO then Clawson would rip his head off and/or put a QB in who does run. I highly doubt this is what's going on.

It's probably, for whatever reason, the mindset of the coaching staff not to have Sam run very much.
This has to be correct - but, the reason better be a good one because it really weakens the offensive scheme. My hope is that they unleash him to run against UNC and it catches them completely off guard...

I’m far from an expert, but it seemed to me Wolford made the correct read in the RPO damn near every time. At the risk of over-simplifying things, Newman erred on the side of running it himself even if that was not the correct read. Hartman has historically erred on the side of not running it, and that seems to be much more pronounced this year, whether 100% his decision or through an emphasis made by the coaching staff.

I’m far from an expert, but it seemed to me Wolford made the correct read in the RPO damn near every time. At the risk of over-simplifying things, Newman erred on the side of running it himself even if that was not the correct read. Hartman has historically erred on the side of not running it, and that seems to be much more pronounced this year, whether 100% his decision or through an emphasis made by the coaching staff.

Yep. Which is one reason why Hartman set TD pass records while Wolford and Newman led more balanced offenses.

It is more than just 'more pronounced' - he simply is not running the ball unless he is running for his life.

From a month ago. That exception proves the rule - doing that a few times a game keeps the ends from crashing down to stop the inside run.

see also: Hartman runs on an RPO vs. BC for a touchdown

so you agree with me that his not running is more pronounced than the already established Hartman benchmark of less than Wolford and Newman.

right, he shouldn't hurdle guys. He did have at least two runs on RPO plays the following game vs. BC - one for a TD, one for a very short gain.

Then against UL, he ran out of an RPO look for a first down early in the second quarter. This after he went under center for a quick QB sneak, also for a first down.

So, Hartman's running is down, but he has run the ball out of RPO sets.

Last edited:
Back