• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ NCST 8:00pm ACCN

Opposing D-coordinators have tried a bunch of different defenses against Wake's slow mesh RPO. However, it didn't really become a priority until Wake won the division last year. Now it is. The price of success.

Also, as moved above, Sam isn't running much, so defenses have been discounting the QB run part and concentrating on stopping the RB run and pass options.

CBS may be missed more than we know. Doesn't look like the current running backs are as good at picking up a rushing defender. .

The step down from NFL draftee Zac Tom to Nash to injured Nash to Spencer Clapp are significant. Tom could handle Edge guys solo. That has been more of a problem this year.
I think the Sam not being a threat to run is what's causing the RPO not to be effective more so than DCs finally cracking it

Opposing D-coordinators have tried a bunch of different defenses against Wake's slow mesh RPO. However, it didn't really become a priority until Wake won the division last year. Now it is. The price of success.

Also, as moved above, Sam isn't running much, so defenses have been discounting the QB run part and concentrating on stopping the RB run and pass options.

CBS may be missed more than we know. Doesn't look like the current running backs are as good at picking up a rushing defender. .

The step down from NFL draftee Zac Tom to Nash to injured Nash to Spencer Clapp are significant. Tom could handle Edge guys solo. That has been more of a problem this year.
Actually Ellison and Turner have done a good job picking up blitzers this year I think. The problem the last couple of games against Ville and State is they were bringing delayed blitzers after our RB had already picked up another blitzer. So, you've got a delayed blitzer coming with no blocker available. Seems we've got to have some calls where the ball has to come out of Sam's hand really quick to a hot route to combat that. CBS had a long TD run against Vandy Saturday by the way.

I think the Sam not being a threat to run is what's causing the RPO not to be effective more so than DCs finally cracking it
So why is he not running? Does he have an undisclosed injury? He's run for many yards and TDs, in the past year and a half.

Last edited:
There has got to be a way to punish teams for pressuring us like that. State just lined up and charged upfield. When there is no threat of run, then the rushers have no reason to stay at home. Agree with the points made above- Sam not being able/willing to run changes the dynamic.

Watching replay is going to be painnnnful....

First NCS pass - why is Caelen Carson not just catching that for an easy INT? Rookie QB threw it right to him.

I am not going to make it through this...

Clawson has shown clearly that he will pull the trigger if not happy with a coordinator or position coach. I know he and Ruggeiro go way back and I'm sure he has much more patience with Ruggeiro. That's just human nature.
But, I think Dave needs to challenge his OC in the offseason to critically assess our 2023 talent and keep what's working but be more than willing to change what's not. If our QB has been told not to run (I'm just guessing), then we've handicapped the RPO and need to rethink things. It's next to impossible to change systems mid-season but I think a fresh set of eyes in January will be required to be a top program next year. Have to be careful not to throw the baby out but some things are clearly no longer working.

Clawson has shown clearly that he will pull the trigger if not happy with a coordinator or position coach. I know he and Ruggeiro go way back and I'm sure he has much more patience with Ruggeiro. That's just human nature.
But, I think Dave needs to challenge his OC in the offseason to critically assess our 2023 talent and keep what's working but be more than willing to change what's not. If our QB has been told not to run (I'm just guessing), then we've handicapped the RPO and need to rethink things. It's next to impossible to change systems mid-season but I think a fresh set of eyes in January will be required to be a top program next year. Have to be careful not to throw the baby out but some things are clearly no longer working.

my god

So why is he not running? Does he have an undisclosed injury? He's run for many times and TDs, in the past year and a half.
My guess would be that he knows he's going to the draft this year and doesn't have the speed to be an NFL dual threat QB so is showcasing his ability as a pocket passer. There were multiple times including the final play of the state game where he had room to run but instead chose to pass even after stepping up in the pocket. Combine that with increased chance of injury before NFL payday with a QB sneak, I think Sam is purposely choosing not to use the QB part of the RPO. The QB has total control in an RPO and essentially chooses the play based on the read.

My guess would be that he knows he's going to the draft this year and doesn't have the speed to be an NFL dual threat QB so is showcasing his ability as a pocket passer. There were multiple times including the final play of the state game where he had room to run but instead chose to pass even after stepping up in the pocket. Combine that with increased chance of injury before NFL payday with a QB sneak, I think Sam is purposely choosing not to use the QB part of the RPO. The QB has total control in an RPO and essentially chooses the play based on the read.
Maybe, but he sure does seem willing to throw a block if he has the chance to on a running play. I think Sam is too much of a competitor to not do everything he can to help us win.

I take it you either didn't read my post or misread it. I'm not advocating firing anyone. But I think it's completely rational and reasonable to critically question and examine in the offseason things that are no longer working and address them. I'm not sure how that's heresy but whatever.

If it were here and there I could agree with this. But, this is all season long. I think we must, as a team, have decided to not have the QB run. Not shockingly that changes the effectiveness of the offense.

Hartman is a gamer. Last 2 weeks remind me of Rusty Larue getting hit EVERY throw back in 1995?

Some of that is the OL, some of that is yes, teams have figured out the SLOW mesh stuff - just blitz like crazy, or delay blitz, blitz All Day.

We did throw some quick outs to WR etc.

Watched as much replay as I could stomach.

Team played hard. The NC State QB was not ready for the first quarter and THAT was our chance to take control, go up 10-0, 14-0 or whatever.

Instead, inexcusably, we scored ZERO in the first quarter and part of that is 1st and goal, telegraphed Ellison run got blown up.

Our DL was feisty in the first half and invisible in second half.

UNC still has a shitty defense, and if we can get Turner going (looks better than Ellison right now), we can win and right the ship.

Related: Short passes are all the rage in CFB this year (but not at WF)

As a result, the average pass attempt this season has traveled just 8.43 yards in the air, the shortest distance of any season in the playoff era and a 3.9 percent dropoff from 2021. The average pass has also been airborne for 1.05 seconds this season, the shortest amount of time it has spent in midair since the stat was introduced in 2020.

And don’t mistake those figures as representative of a down scoring season. Unlike in the NFL, where scoring has plummeted amidst a barrage of short passes, college offenses are thriving. The average offense is producing 2.25 points per drive this season, the highest clip since at least 2004,3 and there doesn’t appear to be any correlation between the rate of throws that land at or behind the line of scrimmage and offensive efficiency.

Looking at the top 50 FBS QB's in yards this season, Hartman ranks 12th in yards per attempt. But he also ranks, among those 50 QB's, 4th in Interception rate (INT's per attempt) and 6th in sack rate (Sacks per drop-back).

If you assume a sack is a loss of between 6 and 8 yards, then Sam's Y/A drops from 12th among those 50 QB's to 21st. If you penalize an Interception as a negative 50 yard play (seems a reasonable assumption - that's the loss of a punt plus the loss of more offense) then Sam's Y/A drops to 23rd.

So...would the offense be better served getting the ball out quickly on short passes, less likely to cause sacks and INT's, even if the penalty is fewer yards per completion?

Last edited:
I don't think this is Sam's decision. He's too much of a gamer to pull punches on his own. I think this is the coaches instructing him not to run out of concern for injury, either because he's just not sturdy enough to take numerous big hits a game or because of lingering concerns associated with the DVT.

I don't have time to sit and break down film, but still scratching my head at why the quick slant to the slot receiver has been completely abandoned by this offense. For several years, it seemed to be a staple in this offense. Most RPOs do it pretty often.

i don't think it's altogether out of the question that next year's offense looks a lot different than this year's
I really don't understand this deal in college football where it seems coaches want to be so limited to the "system?" You know, the whole we don't put our QB under center or we aren't a 2 TE offense, etc. Sometimes if I'm struggling to find something on TV to watch, I'll watch some old 70's/80's college football games. I was watching the 1980 Pitt team with Marino and Hugh Green and on offense they ran split back, I formation and shotgun. This trend of we can't ask our QB to take snaps under center is really strange to me, because it used to be that most teams ran a lot of plays under center and shotgun. I don't know, doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

i don't think it's altogether out of the question that next year's offense looks a lot different than this year's
It could but assuming that Mitch is under center, I think he runs better than Sam so who knows.

They do this every week.

Back