• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ NCST 8:00pm ACCN

My take is that our continuing problem is that our DL and OL are over-matched against good teams that are bigger and more physical. We seem to be out out weighed at most line positions. That is what will may keep us in the top 25 and not the top 10. Im sure our coaches realize this but big athletic lineman are heavily recruited by the big programs. One bright sign is that our 2023 class includes 2 300 pound defensive tackles.

Clawson said on his radio show last week that ” we aren’t a 2 TE offense.” I love Dave, man crush, but I think he might be too “system“ oriented. Need a happy medium between Grobe and Clawson. I mean with Grobe we might come out running the option one week, wide OL splits the next week or splitting the fullback out wide the next week and with Clawson we never see anything different???
This is a pattern I've seen in Dave I don't like. It comes down to pride and stubbornness. It's why we lost Edward's and Walker, and now, games.

You cannot tell me coaches don't add wrinkles and even new sets (as mentioned earlier in these posts as occurring in Grobe's tenure.) during the season. It's ridiculous. Adding 1 TE and taking 1 recever out of his pattern on a play, is not rocket science. And when they opposing D doesn't rush, one TE can release into the eligible receiver role during the play.

I believe it only has to touch the goal line plane, same as a TD, to be ruled so.
More so, once ruled as not a touch back, why would be ball not be placed at the 7 yard line where it came to rest/covered? Can't believe the refs ruled down at the 1 as it was not DOWNED there but tossed back to the 7.
Just down where it's touched as done when the ball accidently strikes the punting teams player from behind.

The refs made a bad call if he was in the endzone when he tossed the ball backwards, which is what slow replay evidently shows.

My take is that our continuing problem is that our DL and OL are over-matched against good teams that are bigger and more physical. We seem to be out out weighed at most line positions. That is what will may keep us in the top 25 and not the top 10. Im sure our coaches realize this but big athletic lineman are heavily recruited by the big programs. One bright sign is that our 2023 class includes 2 300 pound defensive tackles.

What doesn’t make sense is our OL held up against Clemson? What has changed?

THIS is what I don't get. As posted before, something changed with the bye week. We truly looked like a top 10 team against Clemson and FSU and now appear to have regressed to the point we can't move the ball from the 1-yard line.

They haven't changed.

It's the coaching!

Opponents' D have changed strategy.

Clawson won't. Not that he can't. He simply won't. Simple as that.

This is a pattern I've seen in Dave I don't like. It comes down to pride and stubbornness. It's why we lost Edward's and Walker, and now, games.

You cannot tell me coaches don't add wrinkles and even new sets (as mentioned earlier in these posts as occurring in Grobe's tenure.) during the season. It's ridiculous. Adding 1 TE and taking 1 recever out of his pattern on a play, is not rocket science. And when they opposing D doesn't rush, one TE can release into the eligible receiver role during the play.
The guys have been running the same schemes/packages since early August. I would think a few new wrinkles in practice, even if you only run them 2-3 times in a game, would be a welcome change of pace for practices when you get into November.

Who is the big DL we had in spring who left, and why? IiRC he had the size we seek.

We also have a few good TE now, so let's do it.

Starting LT has not been 100%. Backup options aren't that great.

That is the one thing missing from our scheme. Sam is not a true running threat with designed runs. That would help "a little". The truth is that the slow mesh is not like a true option where the line is firing off the ball to make the running back or QB the threat. Our backs are only a threat when Sam and the mesh make them so. There are no big holes to run through. These last 2 games Louisville and State caused so much pressure on the backfield SO QUICKLY that our running threat was non existent. We had 25 rush attempts for 33 yards including Sam(6 attempts) trying to avoid the rush and get sacked v State That's no running threat.
When all of the running plays are between the tackles all you have to do is clog, clog, clog the middle. Sam has to pull the ball and cut outside at least a few times a game. And we have to have some other plays to get the ball to our skill players outside in space - we do it with A.T. and the other receivers some - we need to try to with our backs as well. The defense basically knows what is coming because we are so limited.

Does anyone have advanced stats on Sam’s avg time from snap to release? Feel like it’s far more than average. Play calling a big part of it.

They haven't changed.

It's the coaching!

Opponents' D have changed strategy.

Clawson won't. Not that he can't. He simply won't. Simple as that.
I don't buy the opponents D has changed strategy argument.... Why haven't they changed in the 9 years previous that clawson has run the RPO?

I don't buy the opponents D has changed strategy argument.... Why haven't they changed in the 9 years previous that clawson has run the RPO?

Opposing D-coordinators have tried a bunch of different defenses against Wake's slow mesh RPO. However, it didn't really become a priority until Wake won the division last year. Now it is. The price of success.

Also, as moved above, Sam isn't running much, so defenses have been discounting the QB run part and concentrating on stopping the RB run and pass options.

CBS may be missed more than we know. Doesn't look like the current running backs are as good at picking up a rushing defender. .

The step down from NFL draftee Zac Tom to Nash to injured Nash to Spencer Clapp are significant. Tom could handle Edge guys solo. That has been more of a problem this year.

Back