• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you looking for in the next head coach?

CumberlandDeac

Reaction score
Wellman has laid out his ideal candidate:
-head coaching experience
-knowledge of the area
-experience at an academics-first environment
-private school experience and great success

What characteristics do you all think are most important when look at who should be Wake's next head coach?

BSD has a round table on this for those interested: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/12/3/5173114/jim-grobe-wake-forest-football-search-coach

My personal opinion is that I want someone who has experience at a bigger program and can help transform our program into something greater than it currently is. I really don't care if they have prior head coaching experience.

Give me a proven winner as an HC. OC/DC is not the same skillset as HC. Those folks may very well end up being great, but I would rather roll with a more proven commodity. Makes it easier to get a staff in place, they tend to be more connected for future assistant coach replacements. As much as it's fun to have a hype man like Dabo, those results aren't always great. Saban and Meyer aren't rah-rah guys, they certainly can be firey, but for the most part they are pretty boring. I would prefer someone who isn't a dick because relating to the community is an important part of the overall Wake Forest identity.

1. Either has a history of producing exceptional offenses or brings an OC that has that history.
2. Has some understanding of football analytics (mainly the benefits of being aggressive on 4th down and how that impacts play calling on 3rd down)
3. An energetic recruiter who understands how to balance a staff with teachers and recruiters
4. An understanding of Wake- what constitutes success, what constitutes failure, how to connect and energize the specific fanbase, how to recruit to the school.
5. Somebody with the ability to get the players to play their hearts out for him.

1) MUST be energenic and an actual 'coach' of something specific.

2) MUST be envolved in the game....i.e., gameplan IN HAND.

3) MUST be a salesman/Johnny Appleseed....see Skip Prosser.

4) MUST be highly visible to alums, fans and students....see Skip Prosser.

5) MUST be a proven WINNER.

6) MUST be flexible in melding an offense/defence around the talent on board....see Lobo square peg-round hole plans that failed.

7) MUST have a sense of humor....he's gonna need it.

Hot wife. Name that lends itself to cool stuff (e.g., Lembo stick). Looks like someone who could beat up the other team's coach if needed.

From a BOT friend--what Wellman is looking for:

1) Person who fits the Wake Forest mold (well-polished/ articulate/even-tempered/experience as a former student-athlete or asst. coach in program run by well-respected coach)
2) Person who will represent WFU nationally and in the media as a role model coach and gentleman
3) Person who will not be at risk of any NCAA violations and has no prior track-record of any major or minor violations with the NCAA
4) Good moral reputation (family-man/person of faith)
5) Ability to manage and maintain a coaching staff that fits into the WFU mold
6) Post-graduate degree
7) Person who emphasizes the personal development of the whole student-athlete

1) Person who fits the Wake Forest mold (well-polished/ articulate/even-tempered/experience as a former student-athlete or asst. coach in program run by well-respected coach)
2) Person who will represent WFU nationally and in the media as a role model coach and gentleman
3) Person who will not be at risk of any NCAA violations and has no prior track-record of any major or minor violations with the NCAA
6) Post-graduate degree

You forgot to add #8 KING DERP

That was a big reason Bzzz got the job

Does record of running or being involved in running a good football program fit in anywhere? I guess that didn't matter for basketball though, so maybe Wellman doesn't care about that.

6) Post-graduate degree

We should just quit sports.

Seriously. Just move down to a Jesuit league or something.

logo_new.jpg

We have a real Christian Coalition running the show these days.

Back