• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you looking for in the next head coach?

why in god's name does our football coach need a post-graduate degree?

hope?

we don't even really have to be that good. I just want to care about Wake sports again and think we might improve and have a chance to build toward something and be good.

In fairness, I think those were just general things that Wellman is looking for, not requirements.

1 - fan of Game of Thrones
2 - bald
3 - knows how to work a grill
4 - regularly uses snapchat
5 - good at coaching football
6 - good at recruiting good football players
7 - hilarious
8 - not [Redacted]
9 - hot wife
10 - impressive whiskey palette
11 - in good shape
12 - not old
13 - not scared of the bigger schools in the ACC
14 - thinks Bz is a donk but will be respectful until Bz is gone
15 - eats lots of carrots

THAT'S THE LIST

why in god's name does our football coach need a post-graduate degree?

No kidding..since when have we cared about that academic background of our athletic department personnel? Wellman went to the 181st ranked school and his best bud [Redacted] went to the 128th. [Redacted]'s degree is in, get this, physical education.

I try not to be a snob or anything, but come on...

From a BOT friend--what Wellman is looking for:

1) Person who fits the Wake Forest mold (well-polished/ articulate/even-tempered/experience as a former student-athlete or asst. coach in program run by well-respected coach)
2) Person who will represent WFU nationally and in the media as a role model coach and gentleman
3) Person who will not be at risk of any NCAA violations and has no prior track-record of any major or minor violations with the NCAA
4) Good moral reputation (family-man/person of faith)
5) Ability to manage and maintain a coaching staff that fits into the WFU mold
6) Post-graduate degree
7) Person who emphasizes the personal development of the whole student-athlete

Keep in mind that while Wellman enjoys thumbing his nose at the fanbase, he is going to tell a big money blue hair or a BOT member whatever he thinks they want to hear.

In other words, you can't believe this anymore than you could believe his reasons for hiring Jeff [Redacted].

I think that our coach should be a SATANIST and use the power of the dark lord to defeat Clemson and Florida State

also everyone would go nuts and he'd be like "I'D LIKE TO THANK SATAN. HAIL SATAN." and we'd all have a good time flipping our shit

yes, I believe you are correct BSD. My understanding is that check-list is fairly standard for all coaching positions with respect to each sport. I would think Skip in cleats (or a much younger Arnold Palmer) in cleats is a good analogy. The Tulane coach Curtis Johnson is a deacon at his church. That's got to count for something.

Pat Narduzzi and Lembo both have been GA's, fwiw

yes, I believe you are correct BSD. My understanding is that check-list is fairly standard for all coaching positions with respect to each sport. I would think Skip in cleats (or a much younger Arnold Palmer) in cleats is a good analogy. The Tulane coach Curtis Johnson is a deacon at his church. That's got to count for something.

9–15 7–9 DO NOT WANT

Pretty sure that all official Wake Sports Coaches openings have a graduate degree as a requirement. I mean, I'm sure it would be waived (I think/hope), but I think it is on the official job posting of all head coach openings. Th e faith thing is stupid, but Wellman is kind of a conservative Jesus freak, so who knows. Wonder if we would ever hire someone Jewish.

Pretty sure that all official Wake Sports Coaches openings have a graduate degree as a requirement. I mean, I'm sure it would be waived (I think/hope), but I think it is on the official job posting of all head coach openings. Th e faith thing is stupid, but Wellman is kind of a conservative Jesus freak, so who knows. Wonder if we would ever hire someone Jewish.

pearl.jpg

The first question to any prospective coaches should concern being [Redacted]. Are you Bzzin or Bzzout? If the guy says he's Bzzin, next candidate.

Back