• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is most important to you in a head basketball coach

We're not getting Bob Knight, so he's not relevant to this thread. You brought him up for the sole purpose of being a dick.

To conduct yourself the way that Buzz has, as a representative of this university, is moronic, from the fan confrontation to the press conferences (official and in interviews with Dan Collins), from the way he's dealt with current players (i.e. the CMM will start comment to Tony) to his alleged issues on the recruiting trail (the rumors are, more or less true, in my understanding).

Would love to hear more details on this. Haven't seen any mention of this before.

I'm saying that the media emphasizes what it wants to emphasize, and that talking about running a clean program, graduating players & helping people behind the scenes doesn't sell newspapers & magazines like all that other stuff. If the media was interested, they could talk to hundreds of people whom Knight quietly helped behind the scenes that nobody knew anything about...but the sensational stuff is what sells. Did Knight play into their hands and give them ammunition at times? Certainly. However, anyone who really wants to understand the entire man is never going to do that just by reading sensational stories in papers & magazines. Talk to people like Landon Turner, or D Wayne Lukas for example...or some of these guys:

http://www.knight880.com/special/stories/famous_friends.shtml

Or read about how Coach Knight responded when Coach K's dad died just as Knight was getting his Army team ready to play in the NIT....a super big deal for Army.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/11/15/coach.k/index.html

There are hundreds more stories like this...for anyone who was interested in going beyond the convenient caricatures of Bob Knight that the media likes to paint for its own selfish reasons.

And if you are really interested in getting the full story on some of the more outrageous stories that have followed Coach Knight for years, read Joan Mellon's book. Each incident is discussed in detail:

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Knight-His-Own-Man/dp/0380708094

Are you as up to date on stories of players being helped by Calipari, or do you just believe what the media sensationalized?

coach-k-vertical1.gif

LOL. I never cease to be amazed at the manipulative power of the media. That happened one time.....28 years ago Saturday. I remember because it was on my son's 16th birthday....February 23rd, 1985. One time....28 years ago....and the media has tied it to Knight like it was peas & carrots. It's really comical how easily they can control what people think.

I respect a lot of the things that Bob Knight did during his career, but the reason everyone automatically connects him to the chair throwing incident is because it was an amazing and memorable moment. No other high profile basketball coach has ever done something that striking on film. The combination of Knight being one of the most successful coaches of all time and the sheer audacity of that moment make it a perfect highlight clip that can be shown over and over again. It doesn't portray him as a bad person, just a hothead who acted out on something many people wish they could. Arguing that that clip is evidence of a media bias against Knight is pretty weak. There may be evidence of the sort out there, but this is not it.

I think if you look at winning history, you have to be looking at relevance. I don't care if a guy's overall record at a mid major isn't stellar if he wins in his conference every year.

I think a guy who values education is also important. Before it was used as a crutch with the whole culture change thing, we were proud of our legacy of being able to win the right way with guys who (mostly) graduated. No reason we can't strive for that.

Would love to hear more details on this. Haven't seen any mention of this before.

I'd also like to hear about that. I don't remember any stories of bad recruiting, but I certainly don't read every thread.

He's just not good at it but the back pedaling explanation should be worth the wait.

Is that referencing yesterday's post on the recruiting thread, in which some friend of Copeland's said Copeland wouldn't come to Wake because Bz is a "weirdo" (lol) and has "bizarre" recruiting tactics? Or something else?

I respect a lot of the things that Bob Knight did during his career, but the reason everyone automatically connects him to the chair throwing incident is because it was an amazing and memorable moment. No other high profile basketball coach has ever done something that striking on film. The combination of Knight being one of the most successful coaches of all time and the sheer audacity of that moment make it a perfect highlight clip that can be shown over and over again. It doesn't portray him as a bad person, just a hothead who acted out on something many people wish they could. Arguing that that clip is evidence of a media bias against Knight is pretty weak. There may be evidence of the sort out there, but this is not it.

He's going to reenact it on Feherty this season. Knight's shining moment was putting a Purdue hat on a jackass for his weekly television show.

Winning, recruiting, running a clean program, and loyalty to your players beyond their years at Wake are essential.

The rest are nice but not essential.

Oh wait! That sounds like Coach Knight. Oh Dear ...

Last edited:
I'd also like to hear about that. I don't remember any stories of bad recruiting, but I certainly don't read every thread.

Is that referencing yesterday's post on the recruiting thread, in which some friend of Copeland's said Copeland wouldn't come to Wake because Bz is a "weirdo" (lol) and has "bizarre" recruiting tactics? Or something else?

I've heard this from quite a few sources close to in-state recruits (though not in terms of any of our 2012 commits), but I still think the Tyler Lewis recruitment was the most bungled, head-scratching and questionable, and representative of [Redacted]'s recruiting-fails [though I don't want to open this can of worms again - there's an awful lot to this story that remains mis-represented and/or unclear]. I obviously see this as a problem, where many (generously, IMO) chalk it up to him being a "weirdo" or an idiosyncrasy. What's undeniable is that the same sentiments pop up in off-the-record exchanges and in rumors on the recruiting trail regarding [Redacted] as a recruiter.

I don't know if somebody else wants to weigh in on this.

Well, he comes across as strange in interviews on tv, so I don't know why he wouldn't appear to be strange in person.

He just doesn't seem to have the ability to connect with the people that he is talking to. His words, phrases and sentences seem to be rehearsed and not quite right to be approriate for the situation. Everything is just off enough to make people feel uncomfortable.

Back