• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What music album or CD was the soundtrack to your college years?

RicoSuave

Reaction score
If you had to pick one album that most defined your college years, what would it be? It would be the album featuring songs that are included in your most memorable college moments, and it didn't necessarily have to be released when you were in college.

I have several in mind, but my best memories involve "Legend" by Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Ted Nugent- Stranglehold
Van Halen- Panama
Talking Heads- This Must be the Place
Otis Redding- Shout
Mark Morrison- Return of the Mack

Not an album, but those are the songs I remember most from my time in school.

Good question. We definitely went to college in the age of iPod playlists, so there were a lot more singles than there were albums, but I can definitely break it down by most listened from 05-10.

Coming in to school it was: The Slip - Eisenhower

Freshman year: Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production of Eggs/Wolf Parade - Apologies to Queen Mary
Sophomore year: Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury/Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
Junior year: Radiohead - In Rainbows
Senior year: Animal Collective - Merriwether Post Pavillion/Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Super Senior year: Big Boi - Sir Lucius Left Foot: Son of Chico Dusty

Radiohead - OK Computer.

Not sure what it would have been for my first two years. Maybe Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness by Smashing Pumpkins.

With a strong runner-up finish by Digital Underground's "Humpty Dance."

I wasn't in to these much but the songs that were completely inescapable were Petey Pablo-"raise up", Outkast "so fresh, so clean", 50 cent - "in da club".

Those were played at every party, ad infinitum.

songs that defined my college experience:
- pregaming freshman year to 50 cent in my hallmate's room
- listening to that one song by rusted root on the matilda soundtrack every morning when my suitemate played it during her shower
- "i'm on a boat" played every 5 minutes during our spring break cruise senior year
- the entire Taylor Swift album that came out senior year. especially "love story" which has sort of spawned a wfu wedding tradition among our friends (we surround the bride, scream the song at the top of our lungs, and during the "marry me juliet" part the groom gets down on his knee and everyone screams, jumps and cheers... it's awesome.) at last weekend's wedding, it was definitely my favorite part of the whole shindig, bride cried and everything.

Songs I remember hearing the most:
- Soulja Boy: Crank That
- Young Folks
- Wagonwheel

Albums... I probably listened to Avett Bros Emotionalism and Kanye's Graduation the most

Fr: Kanye West - Late Registration
So: The Strokes - Is This It (I didn't like the dudes in my suite but at least they introduced me to Strokes)
Jr: I have no idea. I'll just say Free Bird because I listened to it like 50 times after I broke up w/ my long term gf.
Sr: ATCQ - Midnight Marauders

Some stand outs off the top of my head

Widespread Panic - Everyday
Snoop Dog - Doggystyle
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Some stand outs off the top of my head

Widespread Panic - Everyday
Snoop Dog - Doggystyle
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

I always assumed you were born in 1961, but now I assume you weren't.

Freshman: 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin'; DMB - Busted Stuff; Phish - Farmhouse; CAKE - Comfort Eagle

Sophomore: Kanye West - The College Dropout; Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane; "Yeah!" by Usher

Junior: Kanye West - Late Registration; The Killers - Hot Fuss; "Stand Up" by Ludacris

Senior: Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better; everything by Pixies

Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet
Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
The Lemonheads- Lovey
Nirvana- Nevermind
Geto Boys- The Geto Boys

Those are the only albums I can recall getting played on a regular basis.

I love the Lemonheads. Saw them at Ziggy's in spring '97 when they released Car Button Cloth. Funny thing is that Matchbox 20 opened for them.

I love the Lemonheads. Saw them at Ziggy's in spring '97 when they released Car Button Cloth. Funny thing is that Matchbox 20 opened for them.

I was at that show. I actually thought Matchbox 20 were pretty good. :eek:

Tough to pick between:
Jane's Addiction Nothing Shocking
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures/Closer
New Order Substance
and Dead Can Dance Passage in Time.

This is pretty interesting to read and see 1) when people were in school and 2) what other people who were in school at the same time pick.

Back