• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What music album or CD was the soundtrack to your college years?

Smashing Pumkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
Pearl Jam - No Code
DMB - Crash
Hootie - Cracked Rearview
Beck - Odelay
Less Than Jake - Losing Streak
Alice In Chains - self titled
DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot

But the one heard far and away more than anything else: Sublime - Sublime

You must be right around 4 years older than me because that is my soundtrack to my high school years to a T.

Yes once you factor in the bump it gets from the video done by those Duke AZNs (redundant I know).

I remember when I first downloaded that ish on Kazaa, complete with several viruses I'm sure. The pre-YouTube video situation on the Internet was a shitshow.

you didn't care though because you were like "so what i'm drunk"

Do people still blare tunes on The Quad or does the sound police stop you.

Fun and games
Shake your money maker
Never mind
Nothing's shocking

freshman year Hootie and the Blowfish
Discovered The Band and listened to them a lot. Life is a Carnival still takes me straight back to my sophomore year dorm room.
Bob Marley greatest hits album
Sublime-Sublime
Reel Big Fish
A lot of Allman Brothers

Most of the albums I would have said have already been mentioned, so here are some memorable bands that played fraternity parties and/or around town for $5.

The Mundahs

Southern Culture on the Skids
Hootie and the Blowfish
Dave Matthews Band
Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts
Indecision

The Connells were also a big draw at the time, but they cost more to see.

Love the way the Mundah's sit separate from the others.

Saw the Connells a few weeks ago in The Dash. Solid....

Grateful Dead bootlegs galore. Went to about 65 shows in my 3 years at Wake.

I'll avoid the campus trend, because it was awful consistently for 4 years. Personally, I went from the 90's rock (Incubus, 311, etc.) of high school parties and burn runs to a more eclectic mix over the 4 years. For example one of my best friends is huge into 80s pockets, so he got me hooked on shit from there freshman year. I also found myself getting exposed to more indie music sophomore and junior year which was cool (thanks in large part due to the discovery of pitchfork). As I approached senior year, I really got back hard into my grunge love from high school, as well as just heavier rock n' roll.

Also, Ryan Adams was probably my most consistently ripped artist. I was super emo during college.

:koolaid:

When bootlegs were fun.

Truth. Anybody else go to Mighty Quinn Music? He used to sell a nice collection of bootleg CDs and cassettes. IIRC, some bootleg CDs were ridiculously expensive ($30). I think he was allowed to have a kiosk in Benson on occasion.

Was anybody else her at the Deke house party in 1987 with The Connells?

ChrisL68?

Was anybody else her at the Deke house party in 1987 with The Connells?

ChrisL68?

Yep.

Saw the Connells twice in my life. That show and the show that opened Walnut Creek Ampitheatre in Raleigh.

Last edited:
In terms of songs:

H to the Izzo
Ignition
How U Remind Me
Po Folks/Aww Naw
In the End
Lose Yourself
Get Low
Hey Ya
In Da Club
Magic Stick
Hey!
What was I thinkin'

In terms of Albums?
Hybrid Theory
Blueprint
A Rush of Blood to the Head
Nellyville
Heavy Things
Quality Control
Speakerboxxx
Hot Fuss

Freshman year spring break:

Thong Song
Big Pimpin
Back That Ass Up
Bad Touch

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say but nothing comes out when they move their lips just a bunch of gibberish and motherfuckers act like they forgot about Dre

Last edited:
ERRYBODY IN DA CLUB GETTIN TIPSY

The reasons that one is so familiar is (a) they played it all the time and (b) someone called into 102 Jamz and said they thought the words were ERRYBODY IN DA CLUB EATIN CHIPS and that just stuck with me.

Whiskeytown / Strangers Almanac
Superchunk / Here's Where the Strings Come In
Built to Spill / Perfect From Now On
Archers of Loaf / Vee Vee
Portastatic / Slow Note from a Sinking Ship
Yo La Tengo / Electopura
Son Volt / Trace

Back