• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What music album or CD was the soundtrack to your college years?

There were a million, but these come to mind...
The Cars, Since you're gone;
The Stones, Start Me Up;
Jason and the Scorchers, Sweet Marie;
Stray Cats, Stray Cat Strut;
Men Without Hats, Safety Dance;
Dexy's Midnight Runner, Come on Eileen.

Was never a huge fan, but Vertical Horizon was ubiquitous for my freshman/sophomore years (99/00 and 00/01). Every time I hear them, it reminds me of Wake.

Most of the albums I would have said have already been mentioned, so here are some memorable bands that played fraternity parties and/or around town for $5.

The Mundahs

Southern Culture on the Skids
Hootie and the Blowfish
Dave Matthews Band
Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts
Indecision

The Connells were also a big draw at the time, but they cost more to see.

REM - Document
Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel
Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
Bob Marley - Legend

i like that you called it a "music album"

Townie made an excellent point about the iPod generation. Today people tend to focus on individual songs, but those of us in our 40s tended to listen to entire albums and we tended to only purchase those albums that were good start-to-finish. Sure, you could buy a single record back then, but it was inconvenient to change the turntable after every song. Also, music was much more valuable in the 70s and 80s because the real cost (adjusting for inflation) was much higher back then. We would purchase an album for $10 in 1980 and we'd listen to it repeatedly because many teenagers couldn't afford a stack of albums at that price. That explains the widespead appeal of Greatest Hits albums (nearly everybody owned Eagles Greatest Hits V. 1 and Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits in the 80s) back then, as well as the fact that certain blockbuster albums such as Thriller did incredibly well. When kids had to make a decision on what was then a huge expenditure, we chose wisely. I tended to purchase a lot of Stevie Wonder albums although I wasn't an R&B fan because I knew anything recorded by Wonder was going to be good start-to-finish.

There seems to be a definite shift toward focusing on single songs at the expense of entire albums now. Now fewer albums are described as complete masterpieces in the way that people used to describe Sgt. Peppers or Rubber Soul, for example. The benefit now is that a broader range of artists have an audience because music is less expensive and people are no longer steered toward blockbuster albums and greatest hits compilations.

Smashing Pumkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
Pearl Jam - No Code
DMB - Crash
Hootie - Cracked Rearview
Beck - Odelay
Less Than Jake - Losing Streak
Alice In Chains - self titled
DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot

But the one heard far and away more than anything else: Sublime - Sublime

Pearl Jam - Ten
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Radiohead - Pablo Honey
Nirvana - Nevermind

Townie made an excellent point about the iPod generation. Today people tend to focus on individual songs, but those of us in our 40s tended to listen to entire albums and we tended to only purchase those albums that were good start-to-finish. Sure, you could buy a single record back then, but it was inconvenient to change the turntable after every song. Also, music was much more valuable in the 70s and 80s because the real cost (adjusting for inflation) was much higher back then. We would purchase an album for $10 in 1980 and we'd listen to it repeatedly because many teenagers couldn't afford a stack of albums at that price. That explains the widespead appeal of Greatest Hits albums (nearly everybody owned Eagles Greatest Hits V. 1 and Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits in the 80s) back then, as well as the fact that certain blockbuster albums such as Thriller did incredibly well. When kids had to make a decision on what was then a huge expenditure, we chose wisely. I tended to purchase a lot of Stevie Wonder albums although I wasn't an R&B fan because I knew anything recorded by Wonder was going to be good start-to-finish.

There seems to be a definite shift toward focusing on single songs at the expense of entire albums now. Now fewer albums are described as complete masterpieces in the way that people used to describe Sgt. Peppers or Rubber Soul, for example. The benefit now is that a broader range of artists have an audience because music is less expensive and people are no longer steered toward blockbuster albums and greatest hits compilations.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but pulling from your original post "songs that are included in your most memorable college moments", I think of parties and tailgates. The music there was often a mix tape.

Songs I remember hearing the most:
- Soulja Boy: Crank That
- Young Folks
- Wagonwheel

Albums... I probably listened to Avett Bros Emotionalism and Kanye's Graduation the most

holy balls, i was going to post this exactly, with emphasis on the fact that it's sad 'soulja boy' has a spot so deeply ingrained in my memories.

Reactions: BDL
The only thing that comes to mind is that Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams came out the spring of my sophomore year, I moved into my first apartment that August, as probably listened to that about a million times.

holy balls, i was going to post this exactly, with emphasis on the fact that it's sad 'soulja boy' has a spot so deeply ingrained in my memories.

superman dat hoe

Jurrasic Five - Quality Control was the album

Songs were Back that Azz up, In da Club and Remix to Ignition

Jurrasic Five - Quality Control was the album

Songs were Back that Azz up, In da Club and Remix to Ignition

Best remix ever?

Yes once you factor in the bump it gets from the video done by those Duke AZNs (redundant I know).

I remember when I first downloaded that ish on Kazaa, complete with several viruses I'm sure. The pre-YouTube video situation on the Internet was a shitshow.

Back