• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

I have always thought this was super weird. If a player proves on the field that they can produce vs high level competition, why pick players with less production vs the same level of competition? In the case of Roberson, he has 2 years of elite production, he is over 6' tall, 40" vert, sub 4.5 40 time, good hands. What is the knock?

There’s a pretty small opening to the funnel of talent at the highest level of any sport. There are what, less than 100 truly active slot WRs in the league? Even if you assume an average career of 5 years, there aren’t many seats open on that carousel every draft.

Being productive against BC and UVA doesn’t translate to being productive against NFL cornerbacks. It’s just part of the data.

Sure. But running a sub-4.5 40 coming off a long injury is good additional data.

No doubt. Both of those things will get you a look along with the 100 other productive college WRs with decent speed in the draft.

Sure. What I’ve always liked about Roberson is his biggest strengths are his route running, discipline, hands, and maturity. Those can put him ahead of some other guys in training camp.

Realize that this may be Haas, but since the USFL kicks off this weekend, there are 3 Deacs on USFL rosters:

Sage Surratt is #14 for the Birmingham Stallions (he is listed as a TE)
Will Yarbary is #97 also for the Stallions
Matt Colburn is #5 for the Philadelphia Stars

New Jersey plays at Birmingham tomorrow at 7:30 on both FOX and NBC (man, guess the networks are hurting for programming)

Philly plays at New Orleans on Sunday at 4 pm on USA.

I was in Birmingham last week at a conference held at the hotel the USFL players and coaches were staying. For the first season, all games will be held at Legion Field and right across the street at Protective Stadium, UAB’s new home field. Smart move.

6f6403c596e15e12e820d2a23f203617.jpg

29613fe07ef470da80582bf68dc94726.jpg

Saw on some draft site that Roberson has had visits and/or workouts with Chargers and Panthers since his pro day….Taylor with Bengals and Tom with Dolphins….

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots in the mix for Tom.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots in the mix for Tom.

I now want my Ravens to take Tom with 1 of their 5 4th round picks. I didn't think he'd show up at the combine at 304 and run a 5 flat 40. The 40 time I believed because he's athletic. But I thought he was going to be in the 290s. What I really like is his versatility - you can play him at any of the 5 positions, even though he's projected to move inside at the next level. I see his value as being the 6th man in the pros. I finally found a Shrine Bowl review on him a few weeks back, and it said he had a solid week playing entirely OC. Pilch, I didn't believe you before the Shrine Bowl and the combine, but after those 2 performances, his stock rose significantly on the various draft sites. So mea culpa, and Pilch deserves some credit for calling Tom an early day 3 pick before the punditry got on the Tom train.

Since JRoc25 hasn’t posted but twice in 2 months, can the mods update the thread title or create one for our 2022 guys? Thx

Wonder if Jamie Newman at least checked to see if there was any interest in him attending a USFL camp. Hard to believe he went from a relative star at Wake to the anointed starter at national contender UGA to basically nowhere (or maybe back in Graham, NC, which may be a redundant statement).

Wonder if Jamie Newman at least checked to see if there was any interest in him attending a USFL camp. Hard to believe he went from a relative star at Wake to the anointed starter at national contender UGA to basically nowhere (or maybe back in Graham, NC, which may be a redundant statement).

he signed with a cfl team

Last edited:
Might be time to pursue other interests if you get demoted to practice squad of usfl team.

This thread feels like the best place to mention that Sage and Willie Yarbary are playing for the Birmingham Stallions in the USFL right now on Fox.

Edit: Sage is inactive

Just for those who haven’t seen it.

Realize that this may be Haas, but since the USFL kicks off this weekend, there are 3 Deacs on USFL rosters:

New Jersey plays at Birmingham tomorrow at 7:30 on both FOX and NBC (man, guess the networks are hurting for programming)

And Sage is on the practice squad.

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

In case people haven’t seen it.

And as posted earlier, Sage was demoted to the practice squad. As far as I can tell, there’s only one other TE on the squad. Cary Angeline had 61 catches for 960 yards and 12 TDs from 2019-21.

Saw on one of the draft sites that Roberson has had or will have visits with Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens this week….

Also saw that Tom and Vilain were mentioned on PFF site as 2 of most underrated prospects from some poll of scouts….

OT ZACH TOM, WAKE FOREST

PFF Big Board Rank: 64th

Tom began his career at center before moving to left tackle in 2020. He stuck at left tackle in 2021, and teams believe he could stay there in the NFL despite being slightly undersized at 6-foot-4 and 307 pounds with 33 1/4-inch arms. He tested very well with a 4.94-second 40-yard dash (93rd percentile), 1.63-second 10-yard split (99th), 33-inch vertical leap (93rd), 9-foot-10 broad jump (99th), 4.47-second short shuttle (94th) and 7.32-second three-cone (96th).

He let up just 13 pressures, including three sacks, two quarterback hits and eight hurries in 2021, and earned a 92.1 pass-blocking grade. He’s likely an early Day 2 pick, per a source.

EDGE LUIJI VILAIN, WAKE FOREST

PFF Big Board Rank: NR

Vilain was a combine snub who one source predicted could be selected anywhere from late in the third round to the fifth round of the draft. A Canadian who transferred from Michigan, Vilain earned an 81.8 pass-rush grade in 2021. He’s a scout’s favorite who stands 6-foot-4, 255 pounds with 34-inch arms.

Back