• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was the greatest (unique) moment of your life?

I've always wondered how much people cash in on those things. So how much Arby's did you actually eat that year?

I remember getting about 55 gift cards for sandwiches, around 8-10 cards for fries and maybe some drink cards. I actually did end up getting an Arby's sandwich around once per week. As a poor college kid, any free food was welcome. After about six months or so, I got pretty generous in giving them away to my friends.

That reminds me about two months later, I won a chicken wing eating contest at a Braves spring training game in West Palm. I got a $25 gift certificate to Duffy's and a shirt that didn't fit.

Also, that seems really easy to do in 35 seconds, although maybe not in front of thousands of people. In middle school, our coach used to pick someone each practice to try to make a layup, FT, 3, and half court shot using 1 ball in 30 secs to get the whole team out of running and free Gatorades the next practice. I did it once and felt like a hero.

I had 10,000+ booing my ass after I missed the very first lay up. That was rough.

Most unique was us having our fantasy football draft at a hooters. They had scratch cards with a code you could enter online for a trip to the Super Bowl. I won. Two tickets, airfare, hotel and $600 cash.

I caught 3 t-shirts at a professional hockey game once... Think I was like 12 years old. My dad can confirm if you want to ask him. The "cheerleaders" skated around 3 separate times and threw/launched t-shirts into the crowd and I caught one on each occasion. It's not like I was the only one there... Completely random that they ended up in my hands each time.

I also got to shoot a 3-pointer for $1000 at an Albany Patroons CBA game in 1991 (also when I was 12). I missed. NBA distance 3-pointer was on-line, but short. I was pretty nervous. As an aside, that team was coached by George Karl and had Vincent Askew & Mario Elie on it... They dominated the CBA, going 50-6 that season (28-0 at home).

I did get chosen from the stands to try a 40 yarder for $10,000 in between the 3rd and 4th quarter of a WFU football game when we were freshman. Pretty sure the opponent was UAB and it was a rare Wake blowout win so most of the rest of the students were already gone, but someone had come by and basically said they would pick from our row so we should hang out for a little bit. I happened to be standing in front of one of the seat numbers they chose. I couldn't have had really any previous football, soccer, rubgy, etc. playing days in my past which I thought was kinda BS. My buddy came down with me to "hold" and was telling me my only chance was to toe it (I'm wearing jeans and sneakers so not ideal equipment either). I get down there and look up and am like, "this doesn't seem so far" Ball went maybe ten yards in the air. Embarrassing.

I caught 3 t-shirts at a professional hockey game once... Think I was like 12 years old. My dad can confirm if you want to ask him. The "cheerleaders" skated around 3 separate times and threw/launched t-shirts into the crowd and I caught one on each occasion. It's not like I was the only one there... Completely random that they ended up in my hands each time.

I also got to shoot a 3-pointer for $1000 at an Albany Patroons CBA game in 1991 (also when I was 12). I missed. NBA distance 3-pointer was on-line, but short. I was pretty nervous. As an aside, that team was coached by George Karl and had Vincent Askew & Mario Elie on it... They dominated the CBA, going 50-6 that season (28-0 at home).

I want to ask him, PM contact info please

I was skiing with my dad/step-family in Killington, VT when I was young - I want to say 10 or 11. I went off on my own down a trail and ended up at the base of the opposite side of the mountain from where we started. It was late in the day and I was tired, so I just kind of started walking, thinking I would walk around to the other side rather than take a lift up and ski back down.

Yes, WALK around to the other side of a MOUNTAIN.

Anyway, I had my skis and poles over my shoulder and ended up walking down the side of a fairly busy road (prob four lanes across). I assume this looked kind of strange - 10 year old kid hoofing it with ski equipment - because people kept stopping and asking if I needed help. I literally shooed at least three drivers away who had pulled over and offered me a ride, thinking they just wanted to murder me. After I got about a mile or so down the road, a mini-van pulls over and this mom pops out and is like "Get in the damn car, I'll give you a ride" after I explained my plan. So I loaded my gear into her van and she drove me around to the other side. The drive alone took 15-20 minutes, so the walk would've gotten real dicey once it got dark.

She dropped me off in front of where I needed to be. I'm pretty sure by that point I was probably trying not to cry, so I'm sure I just mumbled something close to "thank you" and ran the hell inside. Never said anything to my dad or anyone else for a long time.

So yeah, I accidentally hitch-hiked. Good times.

My was not a unique moment, but a unique day. All of these events happened on the same day. Started the day at breakfast with a bunch of my friends at Egg Harbor in Lake Forest and sitting at the table next to us was Steve Kerr. Later that day, we decided to have lunch at the Hoagie Hut in Highwood and saw and spoke to Scottie Pippen as he was leaving. One of my friends had a friend who was a DJ for a Chicago radio station, so we decided to go downtown and hang out at the station for a while. Velvet Revolver came in for a station visit while we were there, which was pretty cool, plus we got to make requests for songs and get air time. Then me and my friends went out to the Freddy Jones Band concert. Pretty awesome day and still amazes me that so much happened in one day.

I was skiing with my dad/step-family in Killington, VT when I was young - I want to say 10 or 11. I went off on my own down a trail and ended up at the base of the opposite side of the mountain from where we started. It was late in the day and I was tired, so I just kind of started walking, thinking I would walk around to the other side rather than take a lift up and ski back down.

Yes, WALK around to the other side of a MOUNTAIN.

Anyway, I had my skis and poles over my shoulder and ended up walking down the side of a fairly busy road (prob four lanes across). I assume this looked kind of strange - 10 year old kid hoofing it with ski equipment - because people kept stopping and asking if I needed help. I literally shooed at least three drivers away who had pulled over and offered me a ride, thinking they just wanted to murder me. After I got about a mile or so down the road, a mini-van pulls over and this mom pops out and is like "Get in the damn car, I'll give you a ride" after I explained my plan. So I loaded my gear into her van and she drove me around to the other side. The drive alone took 15-20 minutes, so the walk would've gotten real dicey once it got dark.

She dropped me off in front of where I needed to be. I'm pretty sure by that point I was probably trying not to cry, so I'm sure I just mumbled something close to "thank you" and ran the hell inside. Never said anything to my dad or anyone else for a long time.

So yeah, I accidentally hitch-hiked. Good times.

this is fantastic.

Who knew dudes having threesomes was so common. I've been hanging with the wrong chicks.

Returning from my first deployment and seeing tons of folks on the pier waiting for us to arrive. I also got interviewed on the local tv station that day. Will never forget the feeling of returning home after being gone for 6 months.

I had a cousin who was stationed on the USS Eisenhower CVN-69 around 1988/89. I was probably 11 or 12 at the time. Families were invited to go out to sea for a dependents cruise. I had grown up loving military history and planes so I was pretty excited. They took us off the coast of Virginia that day and launched airplanes off that carrier as thousands of people literally stood yards away. I'll never forget watching an F-14 come by the ship at the speed of sound. You saw the plane come and once you heard the "sonic boom" that plane was already out of immediate sight. Freaking awesome. He also fired his gun into the water. They launched other planes as well but that F-14 still has my heart to this day.

Being so young and watching those planes take off and land made an impression on me that day. I also had an embarrassing moment when I threw up in one of the passageways and some poor sailor had to clean up my puke. I look back at that and thought had something gone wrong on the flight deck that day, a lot of people could have been hurt or killed. I have no idea if the Navy still does this with the carriers but keep in mind this was around 1989. Just a short time later, that same ship and my cousin were called into action when Saddam started showing his ass. My dad has a VHS video of that day somewhere.

Attending the Wake/BC football game in 2006. Although I had been going to Wake basketball games for a few years, I never went to any Wake football games or ANY college football games for that matter. This was my first ever college football game. My co-workers had kept telling me I should go watch Wake play against BC and Matt Ryan. I grew up in a racing/baseball family and never watched much football or basketball and it just never registered with me (weird I know). Needless to say after that game, I fell in love with college football and bought season tickets the following 2 years. I now make it a goal to go to at least 1 football game every year to keep my "streak" alive. Funny how life works.

Last edited:
I was at party in the Valley just after I moved here. I was one of maybe five white people out of a hundred attendees. A few minutes after I went to the bathroom, this guy come up to me and introduces himself. "Hey man, I'm Drew. John and Gene thought I was ignoring you and being mean because you are white. Let's hang."

I had no fucking clue what going on. The rest of the night Drew wouldn't leave my side. My buddies and I left early in the AM.

The next day I heard a knocking my door around lunch time and heard, "hey, man, it's Drew."

I looked through my peephole and saw him there. He said something like, "I brought some chicken and waffles."

I let him in and said thanks. I had no idea what was going on. He then told me, "You can call me Drew, but most people call me Bundini."

WTF? What was going on? We ate a little and headed over to McFadden & Whitehead's apartment. Bundini stopped to get some sodas from the machines. I got to McFadden and Whitehead's apartment and they were laughing their asses off.

Whitehead told me something like, "You've got a friend for life. We made sure of it."

I looked at him. "Is he really Bundini?"

McFadden laughed. "Oh yeah and i told him how hurt you were last night when he wouldn't talk to you."

Bundini must have apologized to me at least a dozen times over the next week. I couldn't get rid of him. But he was a nice guy.

Who is this Budini?

I dropped an "N'. Drew "Bundini" Brown. He was Ali's corner man. He was famous for being the one who often said "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

He was played by Jamie Foxx in the movie Ali.

I dropped an "N'. Drew "Bundini" Brown. He was Ali's corner man. He was famous for being the one who often said "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

He was played by Jamie Foxx in the movie Ali.
So in the story, how do McFadden and Whitehead convince Budini to be your friend forever? His motivations here are just not convincing.

And before you freak out, RJ, that was a joke. Because the way you phrased it was ambiguous. Not "dishonest" or "lazy" or any of that usual suspect nonsense.

Back