• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Toomey and Johnson could really hurt their chances at re-election with their no votes. Each barely won in states that vote Dem at the top of the ticket.

I'm not sure Cantor's vote is that surprising. He has always seemed to me to be a very shrewd political tactician that is out for his own gain first and foremost. He was visible enough to avoid being primaried, but he can soothe moderates by saying he made the right decision ultimately.

This. Cantor is lining himself up as a moderate candidate that can win a national election after Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Bachmann, Gohmert, etc. completely alienate the voters whose minds aren't made up before an election.

I can see someone claiming a "yes" vote here was a "vote for Obamacare".

I can see someone claiming a "yes" vote is a vote for "whatever my CPAC claims, that gets me elected without having to make the accusation or prove it."

In VA, the AG race has a constantly running add that the opposing candidate is pro-pedophilia and sexual assault and gangs.

This. Cantor is lining himself up as a moderate candidate that can win a national election after Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Bachmann, Gohmert, etc. completely alienate the voters whose minds aren't made up before an election.

I can't see Cantor running for president.

I've never seen Cantor mentioned as a potential candidate. Only as a successor to Boehner.

Toomey and Johnson could really hurt their chances at re-election with their no votes. Each barely won in states that vote Dem at the top of the ticket.

This confused me. I'm not sure why they voted the way they did.

I am a bit surprised at the end of this whole ordeal. I thought the Republicans would end up with something that they could point to as a win. I didn’t expect the Democrats to go back and ask for more than they would have gotten two weeks ago. I’m not sure I’m prepared for a world where the Dems are that ballsy. Now it seems like the Republicans are left pointing at one another since they have no win to highlight and spin into a big deal.

On the one hand, good, they deserve this for picking a fight they couldn’t win, despite the impact to hundreds of thousands of people and the added risk to the financial markets.

On the other hand, I’m not really interested in more power for the Dems.

I've never seen Cantor mentioned as a potential candidate. Only as a successor to Boehner.

I think he's smart enough to realize that GOP candidates that spend too much time tacking right eventually ruin their shot so laying low and playing the role of a reasonable conservative is in his best interest. TPers don't lack in fervor and enthusiasm, but it should be clear by now that they are absolutely outclassed in political tactics.

Reactions: ONW
I think he's smart enough to realize that GOP candidates that spend too much time tacking right eventually ruin their shot so laying low and playing the role of a reasonable conservative is in his best interest. TPers don't lack in fervor and enthusiasm, but it should be clear by now that they are absolutely outclassed in political tactics.

This.

Cliffs?

Graham has been on thin ice with the right for awhile. He's probably the senator most likely to get primaried.

He's going to get primaried alright but the guy has 7 million in his war chest and the challengers are Tea Party blow hard idiots (aren't they all?) that really have no chance to unseat a 2 term senator.

I suspect some of those NO votes were CYA votes, knowing that the bill was going to pass. My Congressman voted NO and I'm firing off a nasty letter to him this morning. We need to make our Representatives realize they're afraid of the wrong people.

The hypocrisy within my own district, where my rep voted "no" is laughable... a guy (John Mica) who has taken basically every Federal dollar he could get his hands on to fund SunRail in Florida... to the extent of even negotiating with or enlisting Democrats for the cause when Gov. Scott rejected Federal funds in 2011 (which was its own nightmare)...

Cracks me up that he is going to tout his strong conservative record and his "no" vote, yet has no apparent concept of what a Federal default might do to the other 50% of his pet transportation project funded by munis and Florida taxpayers... politics as usual...

You'd think the Republican machine that was so strong with tactics could outmaneuver the Tea Party. That's been a huge surprise.

I am a bit surprised at the end of this whole ordeal. I thought the Republicans would end up with something that they could point to as a win. I didn’t expect the Democrats to go back and ask for more than they would have gotten two weeks ago. I’m not sure I’m prepared for a world where the Dems are that ballsy. Now it seems like the Republicans are left pointing at one another since they have no win to highlight and spin into a big deal.

On the one hand, good, they deserve this for picking a fight they couldn’t win, despite the impact to hundreds of thousands of people and the added risk to the financial markets.

On the other hand, I’m not really interested in more power for the Dems.

They picked a fight they couldn't win and the only out was to capitulate. I'm confident the senior Republicans told the newer members what was going to happen, but the younger members didn't believe it.

I think Joe Scarborough yesterday said that the newer members were like kids who don't believe the stove is hot, but instead of taking their hand off when it gets burned, they tried to see how long they could leave it on.

Back