• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim Huelskamp (R. Kansas) when asked about the economic loss resulting from the partial government shutdown: "those numbers are made up."

These people are fucking idiots.

"That was King's message Wednesday morning during an appearance on CNN's "New Day." "I'm not worried about this thing they term default because we are going to service our debt," he said. "But I am concerned about all the rhetoric around this, about the weeks and months building up to this point and the utilization of that term default."

The real risk, he went on, is blowback from Obama's dire rhetoric about the debt ceiling. "I'm concerned that it will scare the markets; I'm concerned that the president's remarks will scare the markets."

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

I don't even know what to say.

Sounds like posters who claim taking about how bad Wake sports are is worse than Wake sports being bad.

Mitch McConnell hates him for exposing Mitch to a TP crazy in the primaries. The Minority Leader is meaner than a rabid junkyard dog on PCP and never forgets those he perceives to have harmed him.

There are lots of big money Republicans that will pay to have him go away. The Chamber of Commerce and others will spend tens of millions to bury him.

The Koch brothers are running away from him.

The "best" Cruz can hope for is to totally splinter the GOP and maintain some power. If he does this he will weaken the entire party dramatically.

He still believes "the American people" want the ACA repealed and the government to stay shut down.

He may just mean Texans. Which is who he was elected by and elected to serve. There is one person in Washington right now elected by the American people to serve all the American people.

Oh no, you nailed it. It's the perfect Drudge headline. Tip o' the cap.

Campaign promises? Ha! When should he do that? Obama has to deal with much, much more basic things, like "stopping the opposition from intentionally forcing a US credit default for no reason" and "browbeating the House GOP into actually running a government instead of giving tantrums."

Is jhmd really that dumb?

Lindsay Graham dropping straight truth bombs on CNN. Holy Moly. This guy gets it. A sane man, totally fed up. He perfectly encapsulated how badly the GOP screwed this up.

Lindsay Graham dropping straight truth bombs on CNN. Holy Moly. This guy gets it. A sane man, totally fed up. He perfectly encapsulated how badly the GOP screwed this up.

Cliffs?

Graham has been on thin ice with the right for awhile. He's probably the senator most likely to get primaried.

"That was King's message Wednesday morning during an appearance on CNN's "New Day." "I'm not worried about this thing they term default because we are going to service our debt," he said. "But I am concerned about all the rhetoric around this, about the weeks and months building up to this point and the utilization of that term default."

The real risk, he went on, is blowback from Obama's dire rhetoric about the debt ceiling. "I'm concerned that it will scare the markets; I'm concerned that the president's remarks will scare the markets."

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

I don't even know what to say.

1. If the Democrats don't agree to the concessions we want, we will force this country into default. This is a serious thing that we are threatening to do in a serious manner, which will have serious consequences. Better fold, or else. This is major leverage.

BUT ALSO

2. Default is nothing to worry about it. Don't get worked up about it. It's not a big deal at all.

So ... it's leverage? But really not? The Dems should fear it, but no, wait, it's actually nothing to fear at all.

How is that going to work, ever? COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

Still waiting for examples from Beatrix and Wrangor.

Cliffs?

Graham has been on thin ice with the right for awhile. He's probably the senator most likely to get primaried.

He said that the Republicans played it so badly that they lost all the leverage they had to get a good deal, and ended up holding the equivalent of a pair of twos. Going after Obamacare while Obama was still president was one of the dumbest political tactics he could imagine. It was hopeless and self-defeating. The last two weeks could've been spent pointing out the flaws in Obamacare, and striking a deal on it, but they bungled it so badly with the shutdown and the focus on defunding that the numbers for Obamacare actually went up. He said they did better work for Obamacare than the Democrats could've dreamed of doing. He also said that the two-week shutdown conveniently overshadowed the disastrous rollout for Obamacare, which would've been leverage for negotiations.

Overall, he basically said the GOP couldn't have played this worse, and ended up getting nothing because of their terrible tactics. And also he said that if they do this again in January, everyone should get voted out. He admitted that the poll numbers were so bad at the end that the GOP took a terrible deal because they knew they had no choice. He openly admitted to a sound political whooping. Guy seemed fed up.

Last edited:
He said that the Republicans played it so badly that they lost all the leverage they had to get a good deal, and ended up holding the equivalent of a pair of twos. Going after Obamacare while Obama was still president was one of the dumbest political tactics he could imagine. It was hopeless and self-defeating. The last two weeks could've been spent pointing out the flaws in Obamacare, and striking a deal on it, but they bungled it so badly with the shutdown and the focus on defunding that the numbers for Obamacare actually went up. He said they did better work for Obamacare than the Democrats could've dreamed of. He also said that the two-week shutdown conveniently overshadowed the disastrous rollout for Obamacare, which would've been leverage for negotiations.

Overall, he basically said the GOP couldn't have played this worse, and ended up getting nothing because of their terrible tactics. And also he said that if they do this again in January, everyone should get voted out. He admitted that the poll numbers were so bad at the end that the GOP took a terrible deal because they knew they had no choice. He openly admitted to a sound political whooping. Guy seemed fed up.

sounds like he was reading this thread.

i'm just glad this is all over, so i can go back to pretending jhmd, beatrix, and wrangor dont actually exist.

I never thought I'd see the day where Graham was a sane part of the GOP.

I was totally stunned as I found myself nodding along to everything he said. The man's an experienced, tactical politician who understands the realities of bipartisan government. I don't agree with his politics, but Graham actually comprehends how to govern something. I almost want to donate to his primary campaign, just to keep another sane person in office.

Back