• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Republicans choose

What will they choose?

• Vote to defund Obamacare

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Avoid a shutdown

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This. Cantor is lining himself up as a moderate candidate that can win a national election after Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Bachmann, Gohmert, etc. completely alienate the voters whose minds aren't made up before an election.

Obama was the first sitting Senator to win the presidency since 1960. Hasn't happened directly from the House since 1880. Not happening with any of the chuckleheads mentioned above. If Cantor wants to have a shot he needs to be Governor. He may have a chance in 4 years since McAuffile won't be a great Governor. Governors can only serve a single term in VA and that's probably an easier lift for Cantor relative to beating Warner or Kaine in purple VA. Don't see how anyone directly involved in allowing 40 pointless votes over something that was never going to happen has a shot at national office anytime in the near future.

Obama was the first sitting Senator to win the presidency since 1960. Hasn't happened directly from the House since 1880. Not happening with any of the chuckleheads mentioned above. If Cantor wants to have a shot he needs to be Governor. He may have a chance in 4 years since McAuffile won't be a great Governor. Governors can only serve a single term in VA and that's probably an easier lift for Cantor relative to beating Warner or Kaine in purple VA. Don't see how anyone directly involved in allowing 40 pointless votes over something that was never going to happen has a shot at national office anytime in the near future.

Agreed

They picked a fight they couldn't win and the only out was to capitulate. I'm confident the senior Republicans told the newer members what was going to happen, but the younger members didn't believe it.

I think Joe Scarborough yesterday said that the newer members were like kids who don't believe the stove is hot, but instead of taking their hand off when it gets burned, they tried to see how long they could leave it on.

I'm sure you're right, and I'm guessing they saw how unpopular Obamacare was in the polls and thought public opinion would back them in their efforts. As it turned out, the shutdown was even less popular than Obamacare.

Has Michele "this is exactly what we wanted" Bachmann made any public statements yet?

You'd think the Republican machine that was so strong with tactics could outmaneuver the Tea Party. That's been a huge surprise.

The Republican machine has been about edgy rhetoric. The TP takes the rhetoric from edgy to radical.

I'm sure you're right, and I'm guessing they saw how unpopular Obamacare was in the polls and thought public opinion would back them in their efforts. As it turned out, the shutdown was even less popular than Obamacare.

Has Michele "this is exactly what we wanted" Bachmann made any public statements yet?

Obamacare may be unpopular, but people like the Affordable Care Act.

Visited Gettysburg last month (just before the shutdown) and reread some of the history. Lee was kinda shocked that he and his troops weren't greeted more favorably when they marched through Maryland. They heard there was a surplus of shoes to be had in Gettysburg and had no clue the town was crawling with Yankees since Jeb Stuart was off fucking around. Lee consented to Pickett's Charge even though he knew it was a doomed folly. Interesting parallels to today's GOP and their disbelieve in polls, their flawed strategies and leaders, and their kamikaze desperation.

Visited Gettysburg last month (just before the shutdown) and reread some of the history. Lee was kinda shocked that he and his troops weren't greeted more favorably when they marched through Maryland. They heard there was a surplus of shoes to be had in Gettysburg and had no clue the town was crawling with Yankees since Jeb Stuart was off fucking around. Lee consented to Pickett's Charge even though he knew it was a doomed folly. Interesting parallels to today's GOP and their disbelieve in polls, their flawed strategies and leaders, and their kamikaze desperation.

The Tea Party would say R.E.Lee was a chicken shit liberal

Political take on how Obama and the Dems may spin their victory for the 2014 midterms and the next debt ceiling fight.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ill_make_the_debt_fight_a_weapon_against.html

And FoxNews.com could not be trying to change the conversation fast enough. Headline attack piece on the President about the deficit, mere hours after the republican shutdown debacle concluded (which, when not being ignored completely, is being spun to look like some sort of victory. Guess which major site refused to run the Boehner quote about losing the fight?).

Last edited:
Political take on how Obama and the Dems may spin their victory for the 2014 midterms and the next debt ceiling fight.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ill_make_the_debt_fight_a_weapon_against.html

And FoxNews.com could not be trying to change the conversation fast enough. Headline attack piece on the President about the deficit, mere hours after the republican shutdown debacle concluded (which, when not being ignored completely, is being spun to look like some sort of victory. Guess which major site refused to run the Boehner quote about losing the fight?).

I don't visit often, but were they really calling this the government "slimdown" instead of shutdown?

I don't visit often, but were they really calling this the government "slimdown" instead of shutdown?

They did for three days, then gave it up for a few days after that, then went back to using it for the second week. The fringe right messaging battle raged even inside their own media talking piece. I think even the FoxNews chiefs realized how dumb "slim down" sounded, and how ridiculously transparent it made them look, so they pulled it, but then were instructed to go back to using it anyway. So they rode it out to the end.

I bet they were talking about how he has cut it in half from W's last deficit. :)

Back