• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would you do if "The Purge" was real?

From 7pm-7am?

Interesting point...so what time zone is the movie based in? Can you simply move one time zone over to extend your reckless rampage or will West Coasters have to start their rampage at 4 in the afternoon?

So if you're in an emergency at like 6:30 p.m., first responders will come? Or are they like, "fuck this, I've gotta get ready for my rape party"?

The ads make it seem like people are only interested in violent crimes. I'd be getting with a bunch of cyber criminals so I could download billions into my bank account.

The ads make it seem like people are only interested in violent crimes. I'd be getting with a bunch of cyber criminals so I could download billions into my bank account.

this. this is what i don't like about the movie. they assume that everyone is just going to want to kill other people. perhaps i'm naive, but i really don't think that's the case... i don't think the reason people DON'T kill is just because there's a law in place. i think the movie/premise could have been much stronger if it was more focused on the non-violent crimes and dealing with the aftermath of just total mayhem hitting the financial stuff.

Interesting point...so what time zone is the movie based in? Can you simply move one time zone over to extend your reckless rampage or will West Coasters have to start their rampage at 4 in the afternoon?

Nikkei opens at 7PM EST.

Konitchiwa.

Agree with a lot of what's been said above. Given 12 hours, most "regular" folks wouldn't have the time to work up the courage to do something major (murder, rape, etc.), but you'd probably see a bunch of smaller stuff (theft, running red lights, downloading pirated movies). What would be interesting is if it were a regular thing- such as 12 hours every month. Then people could really plan/scheme. Or little things that happen each month would have different consequences. Your boss pass over you for a promotion at work, normally you suck it up and get over it. But if you know that next Friday you could take a baseball bat to his/her car without consequence, you'd probably do it.

But I agree, what prevents people from murder and violent crime isn't really laws or the threat of punishment, it's an innate/divine sense of justice. Though you'd probably end up with a bunch of "Robin Hoods" who would do illegal things in the name of justice (letting people out of jail, stealing from the rich and giving to those in need).

Agree with a lot of what's been said above. Given 12 hours, most "regular" folks wouldn't have the time to work up the courage to do something major (murder, rape, etc.), but you'd probably see a bunch of smaller stuff (theft, running red lights, downloading pirated movies). What would be interesting is if it were a regular thing- such as 12 hours every month. Then people could really plan/scheme. Or little things that happen each month would have different consequences. Your boss pass over you for a promotion at work, normally you suck it up and get over it. But if you know that next Friday you could take a baseball bat to his/her car without consequence, you'd probably do it.

But I agree, what prevents people from murder and violent crime isn't really laws or the threat of punishment, it's an innate/divine sense of justice. Though you'd probably end up with a bunch of "Robin Hoods" who would do illegal things in the name of justice (letting people out of jail, stealing from the rich and giving to those in need).

i think in the movie it's a once-a-year thing, so someone would have time to plot.

I'd get a posse together and go on a rampage down the Bourbon Trail. Bust into as many distilleries as possible.

this. this is what i don't like about the movie. they assume that everyone is just going to want to kill other people. perhaps i'm naive, but i really don't think that's the case... i don't think the reason people DON'T kill is just because there's a law in place. i think the movie/premise could have been much stronger if it was more focused on the non-violent crimes and dealing with the aftermath of just total mayhem hitting the financial stuff.

gotta leave that stuff for Purge 2: Mail Fraud

gotta leave that stuff for Purge 2: Mail Fraud

nah, purge 2 could have been built around the same characters who have had a year to figure out how they're going to avenge whatever happened in purge 1.

man, they really effed up on this one. this could have been the next SAW.

nah, purge 2 could have been built around the same characters who have had a year to figure out how they're going to avenge whatever happened in purge 1.

man, they really effed up on this one. this could have been the next SAW.

the survivors from Purge 1 spend Purge 2 committing white collar crimes to financially back their revenge on those who wronged them in Purge 1. Purge 3 has them rip shit up in vengeance only to be taking out unexpectedly in gory fashion by the businessmen they stole from in Purge 2 at the end. Or maybe set that up for Purge 4

and then it all comes together in a final SAW movie where they are brought to justice for the havoc they've wreaked.

we should totally do this for a living.

So let's say I steal a Ferrari.

The next day am I charged with possession of stolen property?

It is getting mixed reviews which is a shame because the premise has so much potential.

Doesn't mean much, most thriller/ horror films get panned by critics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I might go around committing a bunch of misdemeanors. E.g. drinking in public, go take a dump on the car of someone I don't particularly like,etc.

Back