• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When did you become BuzzOut?

Suspicious about Buzz from the hire but basically wait-and-see.

Buzz-out after last year's comment - 'no successful people have a problem with our program, because successful people know it takes time to build a program'. He already thrown the players under the bus with - 'we coached that hard in practice, but they didn't execute comment', so this was the final straw for me.

When I heard we'd hired someone with a losing record at each stop he'd made in his career.

About mid way through ACC play last season when we were getting blown out of each and every game without competing against anyone. Bzz may have been dealt a bad hand but a good coach takes what he's got and makes something out of it.

Never wanted him to step foot on campus. Devastated when I read about the hire. Losing history, period. That's the first time I ever completely doubted RW. He wasn't even honest with us (given all his lip about Dino's poor post-season record.) Bzzz wasn't an improvement at all. Would rather have kept Dino (although at the time I believed Dino was in over his head and a change was in order -- but I didn't mean a change for the worse.)

I hated the (potential) hire from the Friday afternoon that Goodman broke the story about him being the guy we would hire. Decided to give him a shot before the season, and then watched him shit the bed for the entire 2010-2011 year. I thought he had a shot after the Dayton game because the team seemed to play relatively smart. He lost me with the ASU game. I'm now stuck in the position where I want Wake to win, but I'm concerned about him winning just enough to save his job. Basically, I am petrified on him reaching the "Sendek Zone."

Presbyterian was my first and last game of the [Redacted] era. I was underwhelmed by the hire, but willing to give him a shot. What really amazed me was his post-game interview after Presby. "I have not idea how to reach these kids."

Agreed!

I've been Bzzout for a long time (since last year) but what really confirmed it for me was sitting at the ACC tournament this year and seeing how much better coached literally every other team in the tournament is than Wake. Hell Georgia Tech only scored 36 points and got drubbed but they were running sets, getting open looks, and just couldn't buy a shot. [Redacted] is the worst coach in the conference and it's not close.

12-8-11 after reading the box score of the High Point game where we were out-rebounded on the offensive end by 10, then posted my switch (http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php?7484-fence-rider-moving-BuzzOut) That's when reality set in that we are going down the same poor rebounding/poor defense track that Bzz took Colorado, and can't explain why the kids aren't "getting it". I was willing to be a fence rider up till then out of respect, but the team's poor play against lesser talent is inexcusable and there was little improvement year over year.

Unless we have an NBA all-star in the incoming class, I don't see a way out with Bzz at the helm. But I fear that there will be enough improvement next year that he'll be kept yet another year to give the freshmen a chance to improve.

never liked the hire... but when my friends who don't even really follow the team started commenting on our play, I knew it was bad.

Yes, it is our fault that you have a terrible, terrible screen name.
thumbs.gif

I actually don't even know if that is possible to do. cookout? TW?

It's possible, he hasn't requested one to either of us though afaik. We're also not in the business of changing SN's left and right at people's whims. He's only got 70 posts, so he minus whale just re-register with a new name if he's truly opposed to that one.

NC State home game this year. An absolute embarassment for which there is still no rational explanation or excuse.

This for me too. I was BzzzWaitandSee, but never really pleased with the hire until that point.

I can't pinpoint an exact date, but I was BzWaitAndSee for a long time before about midway through ACC season this year, when we were losing most games by double digits. Having a bad first year is one thing. But there is no excuse for a coach who inherits Travis and C.J. to not even be competitive in his second year. You don't get to make the "my recruits" argument for getting blown out in your second year in basketball. If you didn't inherit enough good players, you needed to realize that and get five or six freshmen in here who can play. You can't use talent level as an excuse when your first recruiting class produced one guy who can play. And I'm not talking studs - I'm talking about guys who can beat Wofford, guys who can just look respectable against ACC teams. It's really not as difficult as Bzz is making it look - coaches inherit bad situations all the time, but very rarely do they do as badly as Bz has in his first two years.

Last edited:
The NC State game pushed me to the brink. The BC road win and actually putting up a fight against a couple teams tried to bring me back, and then UVA and Clemson happened back-to-back. Around that same time, I realized that he simultaneously held the worst season in both the ACC and Big 12 over the last 10 years at two different schools. I also saw a team that should be getting better, and yet showed very little fight and also showed they can look completely passive and confused when things started going wrong. I saw a coach who got defensive with the fan base and looked entirely befuddled when the losses started piling on. And finally, I saw a team that looked disinterested in what said coach had to say down the stretch on the way to giving up in the ACC tournament for the 5th straight year after getting blasted in the first round the prior four under two different coaches.

To be honest, I think the players are still thinking too much and too timid rather than just playing and reacting. While I do like his overall recruiting strategy of getting guys with size at every position, I'm convinced that we need to get a new coach that the guys will run through walls for the coach rather than running through hoops in their minds while the game is taking place.

Tried to stay positive for a long time, citing youth and impatience as a resason many people on this Board detested him so much. Even traded some tweets w/ DV7 where i semi-defended Buzz by saying let's wait. That UVA loss turned me and the Miami loss ensured I'll never waiver.

I understand the 3 or 4 year rule for holding a coach, but if we're all so sure he's not going to noticeably improve (which I am), then why even wait. BuzzOut.

NC State game for me, probably earlier if I had been able to watch them earlier.

Back