• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which movie would probably make more money?

Which movie probably makes the big bucks?

• Total voters
Cloons is the more relevant star of the moment. He's won oscars as an actor and as a producer.

.....I'm sure RJ has made a bunch of nonsensical diaper wetting arguments on this thread but it can't be disputed that GC is at least putting out, in some form or fashion, some of the most interesting content out there right now. WGAF if the Stratts turn out to see Castaway over Clayton? People with brains know who is the more relevant content producer in the 2k14

This was rj's 2nd post on the thread: pretty similar arguments.

Tom Hanks is an all time great. He's a legend and should be. But the reality is he hasn't been nominated for any type of Oscar since 2001. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/awards

Since 2006, Clooney has been nominated for four acting Oscars, two Oscars for writing, one for directing and one for producing -Best Picture.

By the way, Hanks is currently filming A Hologram for the King, described as "A failed American businessman looks to recoup his losses by traveling to Saudi Arabia and selling his idea to a wealthy monarch." Movie will be released in 2015. Put Clooney in that role and I think it does just as strong box office.

Huh. The Eggers book? It was a little boring imo; not sure it'll be a blockbuster.

I'm pretty concerned that everyone has forgotten about a marquee Tom Hanks film and one of the most important films of the 20th century. While not grossing as much as his larger movies with only $71 million in the US, the depth of character and development exhibited from beginning to end by Hanks is incredible. Though, I'm sure RJ will just say that Hanks and the movie was carried by his hugely popular and critically acclaimed costar, but it's really Hanks that allows his leading mate to turn in such a remarkable performance. Hanks even said himself during the 2006 Academy Awards that it was this role that allowed him to achieve future success with three other of his most important works in the Toy Story franchise.

220px-Turner_and_hooch_poster.jpg

With this brought to light, I'm pretty sure this completely settles the whole argument. So I'm out if you usual suspect circle jerkers keep cramming your heads up your asses and can't see why my argument is better and why I'm right, even if there are serious logical discrepancies in the argument and premises that I'll take as granted even when they haven't been by anyone and are shown to be false.

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=georgeclooney.htm

No cherrypicking, here is how your chosen argument breaks down over the past 10 films. I'd be happy to extend it further into their respective filmographies, but I'm pretty sure once you extend past 10 movies it gets real ugly.

Hanks wins the total gross matchups 6-4 and the H2H matchups 7-3.

Past 1 movie:
Hanks: 83.3M, Clooney: 78.0M
HANKS WINS

Past 2 movies:
Hanks: 190.4M, Clooney: 352.1M
CLOONEY WINS
H2H Gravity beats Captain Philips

Past 3 movies:
Hanks: 217.5M, Clooney: 434.7M
CLOONEY WINS
H2H The Decendants beats Cloud Atlas

Past 4 movies:
Hanks: 249.3M, Clooney: 475.7M
CLOONEY WINS
H2H Ides of March beats Extremely Loud

Past 5 movies:
Hanks: 284.9M, Clooney: 511.3M
CLOONEY WINS
H2H Larry Crowne beats The American

Past 6 movies:
Hanks: 662.5M, Clooney: 595.1M
HANKS WINS
H2H Toy Story 3 beats Up In the Air

Past 7 movies:
Hanks: 765.9M, Clooney: 616.1M
HANKS WINS
H2H Angels and Demons beats Fantastic Mr. Fox

Past 8 movies:
Hanks: 766.7M, Clooney: 648.5M
HANKS WINS
H2H Men Who Stare at Goats beats Great Buck Howard

Past 9 movies:
Hanks: 832.6M, Clooney: 676.5M
HANKS WINS
H2H Charlie Wilson beats Burn After Reading

Past 10 movies:
Hanks: 1,050M, Clooney: 707.9M
HANKS WINS
H2H Da Vinci Code beats Leatherheads

This breakdown is interesting. Going off of this, you could make the argument that Hanks has been historically the better bet - but you could also argue that recent history shows that Clooney is actually more bankable.

I think it's pretty close. Clooney does a bunch of other stuff that gives him cred as an artist, but Hanks is definitely the better actor.

also, gilbert gottfried was Iago. at the time he was a mildly relevant comedian

also, Buddy Hackett was the seagull in '89's Little Mermaid

Fox & the Hound featured Mickey Rooney (1981)

Angela Lansbury in Beauty/Beast

Lion King really was the start of major actors picking up a majority of roles.

Major musicians have been contributing since the 70s (Roger Miller in Robin Hood)

When Disney brought back the animated movies in the early 90s, they were casting actors who could sing (the guy that played the Beast actually went to my HS), which was part of the reason they weren't going after big time movie stars. Robin Williams was the one who changed everything. Not only was he instantly recognizable to a majority of audiences, they also broke from their policy of making their films "timeless" by letting him imitate Jack, Ed Sullivan et al. Lion King continued in that vein, but it was Aladdin that started it.

right, i just was building on the previous comment re: Williams in alladin; Lion King had a bunch of "names" vs 1.5 (for gottfried) big names in Alladin. As noted previously, the films of the 80s had maybe 1 notable as well (lansbury could sing, also the guy who played the candlestick/was in Law & Order lolwut)

I made the argument that Forrest Gump sucked several years ago on here and got roasted by some peeps. Glad to see that argument has become more popular now. It's a shit movie.

TAB is a hater. He doesn't make your point.

This breakdown is interesting. Going off of this, you could make the argument that Hanks has been historically the better bet - but you could also argue that recent history shows that Clooney is actually more bankable.

I think it's pretty close. Clooney does a bunch of other stuff that gives him cred as an artist, but Hanks is definitely the better actor.

For the record, I tossed in The Great Buck Howard here, which made less than a million dollars, basically so that RJ wouldn't cry, even though Hanks made merely a cameo since he produced it and it was a vehicle for his son. It's not really that close.

Once you get into the next 10 films on the list you add like $2B in receipts. It's bananas.

Fuck the haters, Forrest Gump is awesome.

I normally DGAF about rep, but this one made me laugh out loud, so I thought I'd share it. In response to bym's post...

By box office (I'm doing 5):

Hanks
Toy Story 3 - $415M
Forrest Gump - $329M
Toy Story 2 - $245M
Cast Away - $233M
The Da Vinci Code - $217M

Clooney
Gravity - $274M
Ocean's Eleven - $183M
The Perfect Storm (really?) - $182M
Ocean's Twelve - $125M
Ocean's Thirteen - $117M

Hanks' first sub $100M movie is number 19, Saving Mr. Banks - $83M
Clooney's first sub $100M movie is number 7, Up in the Air - $83M

I said...

So basically, if we remove the Ocean's series out of the equation, this isn't even close.

Editted to say that it isn't even close right now.

Which I received a neg rep for, saying "Voice overs don't count you Stratt level moron"

Fucking genius. Stratt level moron.

what, does he use that line on everyone? i feel so unappreciated

So he called you a Stratt level moron, he called me a Stratt level moron, and he posted this earlier in the thread:

WGAF if the Stratts turn out to see Castaway over Clayton? People with brains know who is the more relevant content producer in the 2k14

It doesn't appear that he thinks very highly of the Stratts.

Back