• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which show is better: Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld?

?

• Total voters
I have laughed harder at Curb than any episode of Seinfeld, but all in all Seinfeld was a better program. Saying that, they both rank in my top five comedies of all time.

if i'm ranking episodes of both shows, i think i can get to 10 or even 12 curb episodes before i get to the first seinfeld ep

if i'm ranking episodes of both shows, i think i can get to 10 or even 12 curb episodes before i get to the first seinfeld ep

Yeah, I agree with that, but you probably didn't watch Seinfeld on first runs either. It was so much better than anything else at the time. Before Seinfeld, it was Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, Chico and the Man, Maude, and The Cosby Show.

There's a ceiling on how funny network TV can be. HBO can get way funnier. It's not like Larry is constantly dropping f bombs, but when he does it's so much more satisfying than Jerry's straight laced sarcasm.

i thought we already had an argument about network vs HBO and you were telling me the exact opposite of your position above

The Ski Lift is without a doubt the best Curb episode. The best Seinfeld episode is The Voice. The Voice wins.

i thought we already had an argument about network vs HBO and you were telling me the exact opposite of your position above

you thought wrong

the argument i was making then is the same one i'm making now

network shows have to pander to the broadest audience to make $ and chase ratings - not so for cable and hbo

another reason network shows often suck is because they're owned by mega corps and a bunch of bigwigs always want to sit in and micromanage development and production

luckily, seinfeld didn't suck, it's just not as good as curb

i don't think so. my point was that network tv leads to lowered expectations (b/c of pandering, etc) but you disagreed because you cited Arrested Dev. as an example of it not mattering when it comes to quality potential.

i don't think so. my point was that network tv leads to lowered expectations (b/c of pandering, etc) but you disagreed because you cited Arrested Dev. as an example of it not mattering when it comes to quality potential.

I agree with the point that network TV leads to pandering, and I think my argument about Arrested Development was (or at least now is) that it's the exception that proves the rule. It worked in rampant defiance of the network, but ultimately got cancelled. The Simpsons are probably the next closest thing (or were until they kept going 15 seasons too long).

apparently, "higher comedy ceiling" is just a stereotypical jewish woman screaming all the time and ending each episode with visual punchline and the theme song

I agree with the point that network TV leads to pandering, and I think my argument about Arrested Development was (or at least now is) that it's the exception that proves the rule. It worked in rampant defiance of the network, but ultimately got cancelled. The Simpsons are probably the next closest thing (or were until they kept going 15 seasons too long).

that's not an exception. plenty of comedies have pushed against this supposed ceiling and survived. plenty of comedies on HBO flamed out even with greater latitude.

network of airing is an excuse

Without checking IMDB, What were the funny parts of the season he opened a restaurant and the season he was on Broadway? Curb had too many duds.

apparently, "higher comedy ceiling" is just a stereotypical jewish woman screaming all the time and ending each episode with visual punchline and the theme song
Now we're bringing Fran Drescher and The Nanny into this debate?!

really tough. curb at it's best is some of my favorite tv ever but seinfeld is more consistently interesting. i'd probably say curb is funnier but seinfeld is the better overall show.

this is still the best answer

again, all the objective evidence says that Seinfeld is better than Curb. beyond that, it's just personal preference

Soup Nazi is pretty damn good. But so is the time Larry invited the sex offender to the Seder.

tumblr_mghfmoklZJ1rjrma8o1_500.gif

Back