• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which show is better: Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld?

?

• Total voters
Curb based a whole season around a Seinfeld reunion, and just the presence of those actor/characters made it one of the best seasons ever. Seinfeld is better.

no, i just hit "random" until seinfeld and Curb articles show up.

it takes a few hours

Really hard to compare the two. Not quite apples and oranges... more like, tangerines and oranges?

Even though Seinfeld can sometimes appear dated - the lack of cell phones is glaring - it doesn't FEEL dated. It's immersed itself in our culture - you can't really say the same about Curb, even though it's probably one of the greatest comedies of all time.

this is a good place to post this:

the first 2-3 seasons of curb i would have said curb, but it just got to be a bit absurd. a lot of the greatness of the costanza character was you could almost see where his decisions could be made by a normal person. by the 3rd or 4th season (i cant remember which because this is like 10 years ago) i just couldnt buy larry's antics. it was too far-fetched. curb has some incredible highs and is funnier at times, but as apetit said i think seinfeld is the better show as a result.

This is how I feel. In Seinfeld, there were 4 characters to spread the awkward around. In Curb, it ALL happens to Larry and it just becomes overwhelming and absurd. That's not to say Curb doesn't have equally good if not better jokes, they're just not presented as naturally as in Seinfeld.

Last edited:
This is how I feel. In Seinfeld, there were 4 characters to spread the awkward around. In Curb, it ALL happens to Larry and it just becomes overwhelming and absurd. That's not to say Curb doesn't have equally good if not better jokes, they're just not presented as naturally as in Seinfeld.

There's a ceiling on how funny network TV can be. HBO can get way funnier. It's not like Larry is constantly dropping f bombs, but when he does it's so much more satisfying than Jerry's straight laced sarcasm.

The restrains on what you can say on network tv could also be a benefit. For good tv writers, it forced them to be more clever about what they wanted to say.

The restrains on what you can say on network tv could also be a benefit. For good tv writers, it forced them to be more clever about what they wanted to say.

I think this has been the case with some great, more recent shows like 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and to a lesser extent, Brooklyn 99. Sometimes you get hyper awareness of this and the product is Community or Arrested Development.

Still, I think you can attract as good or better talent when those walls aren't there for you (and from what I can tell, the pay is better).

well, the poll and stats say that it's pretty clear that Larry David did better with the constraints of NBC than he did without

aye, i'm convinced this sample size (currently 68) is sufficient to conclude most people are idiots

The cultural impact of Seinfeld blows Curb (and just about any other show) away. How many TV shows can claim that they created a holiday that is still celebrated almost 20 years after the show went off the air?

The cultural impact of Seinfeld blows Curb (and just about any other show) away. How many TV shows can claim that they created a holiday that is still celebrated almost 20 years after the show went off the air?

The OC.

Back