• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which Team Will Finish Last in the ACC? CORRECT ANSWER: BOSTON COLLEGE

In this year's ACCT, the 12 seed will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just for the 'fun' of it, where do we want to finish? Or more to the point who do we want to play on Thursday.

Not that I think we are winning games in the ACCT, at least we can speculate what would be the best match up for us (or we can continue to talk about Bzz some more).

I think if we beat BC and VT loses out, we'd be 9th. If that's the case we pull hard to FSU to win the regular season, as it's our best chance if we win on Thursday.

Hard to say as 5-8 has become a muddy pile of crap in recent games. No guarantee Maryland/Clemson will stay 7-8. Miami and State might slip down there.

Just for the 'fun' of it, where do we want to finish? Or more to the point who do we want to play on Thursday.

Not that I think we are winning games in the ACCT, at least we can speculate what would be the best match up for us (or we can continue to talk about Bzz some more).

I think if we beat BC and VT loses out, we'd be 9th. If that's the case we pull hard to FSU to win the regular season, as it's our best chance if we win on Thursday.

I think we want Maryland. Yeah, they've gotten better as the season has progressed, but I think our players will feel like they can win and will really want to win based off the results in the regular season. If we're paired up against Clemson, Miami, or NC State then I just don't think they will be able to come into the game with the right attitude/confidence.

ETA (for the benefit of others): Presumably the top 4 will be Virginia, FSU, Duke, and UNC. Presumably the bottom 4 will be Wake, GT, VT, and BC. That would leave a middle 4 of NC State, Maryland, Clemson, and Miami. Perfect world would probably be something weird happening and VT finishing at 8th and Wake at 9th. I would love to beat Greenberg in his last ACC game.

Last edited:
Choosing between Clemson, Maryland, NCSt, and Miami, I'd definitely want to play Maryland, although I think we lose to any of those 4.

For a lot of reasons, I do think it's important we finish ahead of BC, and it'd be nice to finish ahead of GT as well. If you had told me before the season: 14 wins, solo 10th in conference, I definitely would have taken it.

Overall, it'd be nice to get the 10 or 11 seed just so we don't get knocked out Thursday afternoon again.

I'd say the order of preference might be:

MD
Clemson
Miami
State

At the moment that looks like a 9 or a 10 seed as I'd take MD or Clemson (despite our pitiful showing against them I'll go with its hard to beat a team three times in a season logic).

It might be mathematically possible for VT to finish 8th and us 9th (and I'm not sure of that) but it would probably require us winning out (i.e. beating dook). So I think it VT moved up our ceiling would be 10th.

I'd say the order of preference might be:

MD
Clemson
Miami
State

At the moment that looks like a 9 or a 10 seed as I'd take MD or Clemson (despite our pitiful showing against them I'll go with its hard to beat a team three times in a season logic).

It might be mathematically possible for VT to finish 8th and us 9th (and I'm not sure of that) but it would probably require us winning out (i.e. beating dook). So I think it VT moved up our ceiling would be 10th.

Yeah, it would require us beating Duke. I'd rather finish ninth as VT tanks again and hope to play Md as the 8 seed.

Actually, I'm not sure it is mathematically possible now that I think about it again. VT would have to win two of their last three in order to finish 8th (this assumes Clemson loses out, which wouldn't be too surprising). This, however, would put Clemson at 9th with 6 wins. Wake can get to 6 wins, but we would lose the tiebreaker (head-head record). If all three teams get 6 wins, then Wake would lose that tiebreaker as well (head-head-head record, we're 1-2, Clemson would be 2-2, and VT would be 2-1).

Wow, if we get to 6 wins, with a home win over Dook, Bzzz will likely get that contract extension that RW so desparately wants to give him. :wtf:

Yeah, it would require us beating Duke. I'd rather finish ninth as VT tanks again and hope to play Md as the 8 seed.

Hmm, on second thought:

ACCT in Atlanta
MD in the first round
Not good

Let's hope for Clemson. :)

Of course for the Bzzouters, they should be hoping for Wake/MD in Atlanta. The last two times this has happened it essentially began the end of the current coaches time at Wake.

If we embarrassed ourselves in Atlanta in those year, I shudder to think what that would mean this year.

Hmm, on second thought:

ACCT in Atlanta
MD in the first round
Not good

Let's hope for Clemson. :)

Of course for the Bzzouters, they should be hoping for Wake/MD in Atlanta. The last two times this has happened it essentially began the end of the current coaches time at Wake.

If we embarrassed ourselves in Atlanta in those year, I shudder to think what that would mean this year.

Uh, if your premise is that buzzouters want us to lose (which is incorrect) while buzzinners want us to win then I think you have that backwards. Clemson dismantled us on our home court.

I see us winning vs. BC and at GT. Both teams really are that bad. 5 wins against 3 awful teams still gives me little hope for next year given how badly we lost to the rest of them.

Uh, if your premise is that buzzouters want us to lose (which is incorrect) while buzzinners want us to win then I think you have that backwards. Clemson dismantled us on our home court.

No, I'm pointing to our history of getting embarrassed by MD in Atlanta (both Odom and Dino) the last two times we played them there, which ultimately was the beginning of the end for both coaches.

And there are people who have said things like 'if we lose out it would be worth it to get rid of Bzz'.

No, I'm pointing to our history of getting embarrassed by MD in Atlanta (both Odom and Dino) the last two times we played them there, which ultimately was the beginning of the end for both coaches.

And there are people who have said things like 'if we lose out it would be worth it to get rid of Bzz'.

That certainly doesn't mean they hoped that we would lose out.

That's a pretty fine line.

No matter the whole point was about our history in Atlanta with MD, which is not good.

Update thru midweek games:

Currently:
VT: 4-9
BC: 3-10
WF: 3-10
GT: 2-11

KenPom Proj.:
VT: 5-11
GT: 4-12
WF: 4-12
BC: 4-12

Here are the notable probabilities, with slight rounding:

VT is about 30% to lose out and finish 4-12.

Wake:
5-11 --> 20%
4-12 --> 60%
3-13 --> 20%

BC:
5-11 --> 20%
4-12 --> 45%
3-13 --> 35%

GT:
5-11 --> 25%
4-12 --> 45%
3-13 --> 25%
2-14 --> 5%

I don't see all three of us getting to 4 wins. Basically, it would require one of the following to happen: 1) GT upsetting Maryland (already lost away by 11 to Maryland). 2) Wake upsetting Duke (already lost away by 18 to Duke). 3) BC upsetting Miami (already lost at home by 21 to Miami).

Here's the logic (I'll start with GT since they have to win two): GT isn't going to win at Maryland so they would have to win @ BC and vs Wake. Wake isn't going to win versus Duke so we would have to win versus BC. This means BC has to win @ Miami.

At first glance, GT upsetting Maryland seems feasible, but it seems Maryland has improved while GT lost one of their key players.

I agree with a lot of that, but GT gets Maryland at home.

Even in freefall, that wouldn't be much of an upset.

That's a pretty fine line.

No matter the whole point was about our history in Atlanta with MD, which is not good.

Not really.

If we're going to get blown out by bad teams then no harm in finding a little silver lining. I know it made the Clemson loss a bit more palatable for me.

I don't care about our ancient history with MD in the ACC-T, I current about the recent history with Clemson and Miami.

Maryland lost Peshown Howard, their point guard, since Wake played them. They were without him at the beginning of the season, and were considerably better with him in the middle when Wake played at MD and lost a pretty close game. Terrell Stoglin, best scorer in the league, is now doing double duty as point guard and leading scorer. Tough job for him.

Vs MD, even in Atlanta is the best of the reasonable potential matches for Wake.

I'm quoting a kid on my hall on this, word for word.

"The players just need to stop trying so that [Redacted] will HAVE to be fired."

He's Bzzzout and definitely wants them to lose out. I don't agree with him at all, but some people really do hate Bzz that much...

Back