• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

curious to see david hale’s updated QBR / PFF grid after this shitshow. jurkovec might be making moves on griffis position.

We should start whomever can beat the winnable games on our schedule.

The mental gymnastics a few posters use in justifying more Griffis is mind-boggling. As posted above, Saban has tried out three QBs early in the season. Why? Maybe because he wants TO WIN! But, God forbid we dare replace one of the worst graded QBs in college football with someone who just might be slightly better. Amazing. Wouldn't want to be an Alabama and tarnish our football legacy!
Having multiple 4 and 5 star QBs on the roster might influence that decision tree.

What else is there to say or do at this point outside of root for Money Mitch.

Fuck it. I’m in.

It’s so ridiculous that I’m in.

Anybody else see the need to play some live football with no red jersey in summer camp. Seems to me that may have shown a few things.

At this pm's presser, Clawson was asked about recruiting a QB out of the portal, and he gave a long answer which he prefaced by saying he did not want his answer to be paraphrased. To paraphrase:

• Clawson would always look to land a QB through the portal if it was the right fit
  • These days, via the portal, a high-level QB is 7 figures
  • A decent Power V level QB is a $500K or more
  • At the time, there wasn't the money to pay that kind of coin to a transfer
  • The NIL money that the collective spent after last season was focused on keeping the players on the roster
    • This included paying to keep two offensive lineman (got to be Jurgens and Gordon) who were offered six figures by Big 10 schools (if WF had lost them, we would be even more F'd)
  • This Spring, WF had two interior DL that it was about to land through the portal, but other schools out-bid WF;
  • WF lost a highly ranked HS committed recruit due to NIL money
  • College football is now pay for play
  • Recruiting through the transfer portal is now a bidding war; WF probably would not have landed Malik Mustapha is he wanted to transfer this past year
  • The current WF collective has matured, and WF will be in a better position to compete in the transfer portal going forward, but WF will never be the highest bidder for the top transfers
  • WF will always look to devote most of its NIL attention to keeping the current players on the roster.
If you have a chance, highly recommend listening to his transfer portal comments (they begin at the 30:00 mark in the video below). You can tell this was something that Clawson wanted to clarify, and it felt unfiltered.

Last edited:
Also worth noting Mitch is listed as QB1 on Depth Chart release.

Just finished watching Clawson's presser. He ain't changing folks. Unless he's planning a huge surprise and has something up his sleeve.

Edited to add: At the 30 minute mark, Clawson appears very frustrated IMHO and open to the portal but we just don't have the funds. Not sure others' take but he seems like a man who is tired of beating his head against the wall when discussing the Kobe Turner situation. Seems like our facilities dollars need to be directed to NIL.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Notably, Brady and Rodgers both sat as backups for awhile and were very good once they became starters.

Clawson seems willing to stick with Griffis regardless.

I remember several years ago when Wellman made some statement against paying players. That was very shortsighted.

Wake, more than any P5 program, needs a top-down NCAA structural framework for paying athletes. The NIL piecemeal approach hurts Wake. Wake should have long been behind some nationwide standard that doesn’t give any advantage to bigger programs. Wellman could have led that movement instead of resisting it.

Notably, Brady and Rodgers both sat as backups for awhile and were very good once they became starters.

Clawson seems willing to stick with Griffis regardless.

I remember several years ago when Wellman made some statement against paying players. That was very shortsighted.

Wake, more than any P5 program, needs a top-down NCAA structural framework for paying athletes. The NIL piecemeal approach hurts Wake. Wake should have long been behind some nationwide standard that doesn’t give any advantage to bigger programs. Wellman could have led that movement instead of resisting it.

Not being involved with the details, I'm sure it's more complicated than first appears. But, given that we obviously have invested close to $250 million into facilities and are in great shape there, the immediate need is for future dollars to go directly to our collective. I wouldn't pour another foundation until we can compete for players. Kind of shocked honestly just how open and forthright Clawson was today on this topic. Again, he seems somewhat frustrated to me. I think he knows Wake better get with the program if we are going to compete. Also happy that he's fine with going out and finding an elite QB. He just doesn't have the $$$ to do so.

At this pm's presser, Clawson was asked about recruiting a QB out of the portal, and he gave a long answer which he prefaced by saying he did not want his answer to be paraphrased. To paraphrase:

• Clawson would always look to land a QB through the portal if it was the right fit
  • These days, via the portal, a high-level QB is 7 figures
  • A decent Power V level QB is a $500K or more
  • At the time, there wasn't the money to pay that kind of coin to a transfer
  • The NIL money that the collective spent after last season was focused on keeping the players on the roster
    • This included paying to keep two offensive lineman (got to be Jurgens and Gordon) who were offered six figures by Big 10 schools (if WF had lost them, we would be even more F'd)
  • This Spring, WF had two interior DL that it was about to land through the portal, but other schools out-bid WF;
  • WF lost a highly ranked HS committed recruit due to NIL money
  • College football is now pay for play
  • Recruiting through the transfer portal is now a bidding war; WF probably would not have landed Malik Mustapha is he wanted to transfer this past year
  • The current WF collective has matured, and WF will be in a better position to compete in the transfer portal going forward, but WF will never be the highest bidder for the top transfers
  • WF will always look to devote most of its NIL attention to keeping the current players on the roster.
If you have a chance, highly recommend listening to his transfer portal comments (they begin at the 30:00 mark in the video below). You can tell this was something that Clawson wanted to clarify, and it felt unfiltered.
I'm still a bit amazed how quickly we've gone from NIL being a) a player clearly separate and apart from the athletic dept. being able to craft his/her marketing deals based on their ability to develop & promote their name/image/likeness, to b) schools endorsing collectives that basically hand cash to players already in the program (which in most cases aren't really tied to their individual name, image or likeness) , to c) now coaches just flat-out stating "I need $1 million to hire me a good QB".
The next big development I see on the NIL front is college baseball teams spending big $$, but nowhere near 7 figures (at least for a while), to get top talent from places like Japan and Venezuela, which will give those players an early leg up on getting drafted by MLB down the road (this would require some finagling to work around visa requirements, but lawyers man...). The funny thing will be seeing guys playing a couple of years of NCAA ball and getting drafted, and then still not being able to speak a enough English to get thru a press conference, much less having been able to reasonably learn anything in a college academic setting.

Last edited:
Presumably coaches aren’t allowed to donate to their school’s collective?

Back