• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who's going to Deacon Tower at 5?

Awesome turnout. Wasn't expecting that many people. Very engaging with. The fans. Awesome considering. He's probably working on no sleep. The tie was sharp as well. He definitely didn't do anything wrong. Very different feel than bzz press conference. It's all about wins though.

Was there as well. I don't think he had a wrong answer. Great turnout. He is def. the anti-buzz. Who knows how many he'll win but I for one am very very excited!

The question about the 4-3, 3-4 defense was a little awkward/high school Texas football ish. He handled it well and I like he engaged every fan and question that was asked.

The question about the 4-3, 3-4 defense was a little awkward/high school Texas football ish. He handled it well and I like he engaged every fan and question that was asked.

I missed that one, what was it?

When I read this I was sure it had to be MocksvilleDeac from the Scout Board that asked that and I just went to the Scout Board and I was right. Mocksville is a great fan, but he used to play college ball and has some Uncle Rico in him.

How was it awkward? The reason I ask is that the 4,3/3,4 defense was made legendary by Buddy Ryan during the Chicago Bear run in the 80's.

Was the way in which it was asked?

How was it awkward? The reason I ask is that the 4,3/3,4 defense was made legendary by Buddy Ryan during the Chicago Bear run in the 80's.

Just a little awkward. I think your personnel determines your defense. If you have big physical ends that aren't very fast on the corner and great LBs, you run 3-4. If you have great rush ends, and a dominant MLB you run a 4-3. The 4-2-5 which the questioner suggested is run by every team on 3rd and long or passing downs. Also called nickel. If you came out on first down with a 4-2-5 teams would run the ball down your throat.

Just viewed the press conference.

This guy is the antithesis of LOWF. He's damn impressive in the press conference.

THAT is the KEY question.

Grobe admitted he was lazy in recruiting and could no longer recruit or keep DT's who could remain academically eligible.

He put all his eggs in the 3-4 Nikita at nose guard at 230 pounds basket and it FAILED. Nikita thrived, but the entire team and D in particular failed.

Instead he said it was "easier" to recruit LB's and convert them to DE if needed. The 4-3 was a key part of 2006-2009 run of success (snakebit in 2009 as that was a good squad).

If we have BALLS, we will run a 4-3 and recruit to fit that.

Just a little awkward. I think your personnel determines your defense. If you have big physical ends that aren't very fast on the corner and great LBs, you run 3-4. If you have great rush ends, and a dominant MLB you run a 4-3. The 4-2-5 which the questioner suggested is run by every team on 3rd and long or passing downs. Also called nickel. If you came out on first down with a 4-2-5 teams would run the ball down your throat.

Makes more sense. Agreed.

I just chuckled a bit as it reminded me of the movie Hoosiers when the town folk asked Gene Hackman if he ran a man Or zone defense.

Grobe admitted he was lazy in recruiting and could no longer recruit or keep DT's who could remain academically eligible.

He put all his eggs in the 3-4 Nikita at nose guard at 230 pounds basket and it FAILED. Nikita thrived, but the entire team and D in particular failed.

Instead he said it was "easier" to recruit LB's and convert them to DE if needed. The 4-3 was a key part of 2006-2009 run of success (snakebit in 2009 as that was a good squad).

Don't think the defense had much to do with our failures, this year or pretty much Nikita's whole tenure (2010 D was pretty bad).

Yet the craziest thing about the All-Grobe team is that we only had four notable LBs over Grobe's tenure and plenty more notable even NFL D-linemen. It wasn't easier to recruit LBs at all, at least good ones.

Buddy Ryan ran the 4-6 when he was with the Bears.

Buddy Ryan ran the 4-6 when he was with the Bears.

I run most nights.
Every night I run I listen to the Mike and Mike podcast for that day.
Mike Ditka was on yesterday's podcast in honor of his jersey retirement.
Mike and Mike were in Chicago.
Mike Ditka discussed at length his Bears defense and Buddy Ryan's contributions as the DC. Mike Singletary dialed in with his congratulations.
Ditka stated repeatedly that Buddy Ryan ran a combination of the 4/3, 3/4 defense and this was the primary reason no other team could figure out their scheme.

If you care to listen to the December 9th podcast of Mike and Mike and Ditka's explanation. Then, be my guest.

Otherwise, Ditka is full of shit and so am I and you are 100% correct.

Back