• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who's going to Deacon Tower at 5?

Buddy Ryan ran the 4-6 when he was with the Bears.

That had nothing to do with the formation. It was named the 46 after Doug Plank (his number was 46).

From Wiki:

Unlike most defensive formations that take their names from the number of defensive linemen and linebackers on the field (i.e. the 4-3 defense has 4 linemen and 3 linebackers), the name "46" originally came from the jersey number of Doug Plank, who was a starting safety for the Bears when Ryan developed the defense, and typically played in that formation as a surrogate linebacker.

I run most nights.
Every night I run I listen to the Mike and Mike podcast for that day.
Mike Ditka was on yesterday's podcast in honor of his jersey retirement.
Mike and Mike were in Chicago.
Mike Ditka discussed at length his Bears defense and Buddy Ryan's contributions as the DC. Mike Singletary dialed in with his congratulations.
Ditka stated repeatedly that Buddy Ryan ran a combination of the 4/3, 3/4 defense and this was the primary reason no other team could figure out their scheme.

If you care to listen to the December 9th podcast of Mike and Mike and Ditka's explanation. Then, be my guest.

Otherwise, Ditka is full of shit and so am I and you are 100% correct.

Really thought you were going to talk about your maple cabinets.

Back