• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why is this considered a non-story?

The circuitous arguments on this thread are pretty sad. Deflection seems to be the only defense.

'You think abortions are bad? Well wars are bad too and you don't have a problem with that. Therefore abortions are ok'.

War doesn't have anything to do with the subject. Are abortions bad or not. That is the only issue. War has its own set of problems, arguments. Abortions have nothing to do with it. To be honest, the only people in this thread that brought up Christians are the people who dislike them. My argument against abortions has nothing to do with a Bible verse. It is a human life that cannot defend itself and we are killing it. Plain and simple. I don't need a Bible verse.

I don't get what is so horrific at 30 weeks, that isn't just as horrific at 20 weeks. Makes zero sense. I am not choosing between sins. I am addressing abortion. It is its own issue to discuss. It has nothing to do with war. The diversion tactics are pathetic.

Ok, let's address the question in-depth. Are abortions bad?

Bad for whom? The fetus? Yeah, presumably. Painful? Possibly, although this is where the limits on late-term abortions based on fetal development come in. The mother? Positive, unless she regrets it later. Society? Positive I'd guess, although you can't really say (but thinking about crime statistics here). These are just my guesses and I'm be curious where opinions differ.

And again, to more elegantly put it into language (more elegantly than "are abortions bad" at least), what I'm getting at is that in my mind, if a woman chooses to abort a pregnancy, it shouldn't necessarily be a bad or the wrong decision.

A human life that cannot defend itself can also refer to death row inmates, to be honest. And we still electrocute, gas, hang, and shoot them to death.

Last edited:

Bad for whom? The fetus? Yeah, presumably. Painful? Possibly, although this is where the limits on late-term abortions based on fetal development come in. The mother? Positive, unless she regrets it later. Society? Positive I'd guess, although you can't really say. These are just my guesses and I'm be curious where opinions differ.

A human life that cannot defend itself can also refer to death row inmates, to be honest. And we still electrocute, gas, hang, and shoot them to death.

Also can refer to a kid kicking a soccer ball around a drone target.

Bad for whom? The fetus? Yeah, presumably. Painful? Possibly, although this is where the limits on late-term abortions based on fetal development come in. The mother? Positive, unless she regrets it later. Society? Positive I'd guess, although you can't really say (but thinking about crime statistics here). These are just my guesses and I'm be curious where opinions differ.

Did you really just compare a baby in the womb to a serial killer...? Really? They chose to act in a manner that is contrary to our societies rules (mainly we don't allow citizens to kill each other). A 20 week old fetus has done nothing against our society. We eliminate him/her because they are an inconvenience. The same argument could be made for any adult over the age of 80 to be honest. They are a drain on our society and are nothing but cost to the rest of us. Might as well kill em all. Would be more convenient for the son or daughter that has to take care of them, and would be a huge cost benefit to society.

I love that it is 'presumably' bad for the fetus. Decapitations aren't particularly painful for grown adults, but I think most adults would deem it 'bad' for them to be decapitated because they are an inconvenience.

Also can refer to a kid kicking a soccer ball around a drone target.

I am completely on board with this. But it has nothing to do with abortions. Unless you are on board with both kids being killed by drones and us killing children yet to be born.

so i skimmed through the posts made here. has one single female posted up until now? just curious. not trying to start a shitstorm here.

Did you really just compare a baby in the womb to a serial killer...? Really? They chose to act in a manner that is contrary to our societies rules (mainly we don't allow citizens to kill each other). A 20 week old fetus has done nothing against our society. We eliminate him/her because they are an inconvenience. The same argument could be made for any adult over the age of 80 to be honest. They are a drain on our society and are nothing but cost to the rest of us. Might as well kill em all. Would be more convenient for the son or daughter that has to take care of them, and would be a huge cost benefit to society.

I love that it is 'presumably' bad for the fetus. Decapitations aren't particularly painful for grown adults, but I think most adults would deem it 'bad' for them to be decapitated because they are an inconvenience.

Are all abortions decapitations? Are all abortions performed like Dr. Gosnell did?

Also, are all death row inmates serial killers?

How do you propose to stop the women who later have abortions from getting pregnant in the first place?

I'm saying that someone on death row has as much potential for good with his remaining life as a fetus, yes. We don't know.

Also, the fetus is causing harm to the mother or else she wouldn't be considering an abortion.

Last edited:
Does preventing an innocent heartbeat from starting count the same as stopping one in your eyes? Condoms, the pill, etc., do they not all prevent innocent heartbeats?

No. I believe that life begins at conception. Once you have conception, I think you have "life." Stopping a life is very different from choosing not to conceive one.

No. I believe that life begins at conception. Once you have conception, I think you have "life." Stopping a life is very different from choosing not to conceive one.

Do you consider conception to happen at fertilization, or at implantation?

I'm saying that someone on death row has as much potential for good with his remaining life as a fetus, yes. We don't know.

Also, the fetus is causing harm to the mother or else she wouldn't be considering an abortion.

Uh, no.

Out of curiosity, are those in this thread who are "pro-life" also "pro-choice"? Because you can be both.

Back