• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why so quiet on....

Kinal's 40.5 average punt was #79 out of 120 tracked by ESPN.

Some of that is down to our conservative to the point of lunacy tactics though. Kinal lead the country with 95 punts. The next closest had 81. Now part of that disparity is our terrible offense (#teamlobo), but we also punted in situations where it made no damn sense to punt at all. You don't want to punt 50+ yards on your side of the field.

2011: Memphis, 95 punts, 42 yards, #43
2010: UNM, 85 punts, 40.5 yards, #78
2009: WSU, 86 punts, 43.2 yards, #34
2008: UCF, 88 punts, 40.5 yards, #86
2007: UCLA, 91 punts, 42.3 yards, #43

Not really a rigorous way to think about it, but point is that generally the real high volume punters don't have great averages.

Side bar: 13 combined wins between those 5 teams (including three one-winners).

Camp's current ranks in Wake Forest history:

Catches - 5th (162), barring an injury he will almost certainly leave Wake as the record holder, he's behind Desmond Clark by 54 or 4.5 a game, he had 79 last year in 10 games.

Yards - Outside Top 10 (1703), 10th place right now is 1,865. If Camp averages the same number of YPG he did last year, he will end up with 916 which will put him at 2619. This is good enough for 3rd place behind only Ricky and Desmond. It should be noted though that Givens would likely have shattered the record if he had come back for a fourth year (it's likely Givens would have shattered every Wake receiving record if he had stayed another year). So Camp is likely to finish 3rd all time. He needs 609 yards to pass Givens for third.

Touchdowns - Outside Top 10 (8), Camp doesn't really catch that many touchdowns, but is likely to have around 6-8 this year and will finish between 7th and 9th all-time

Best Single Season - I would argue (and this is pure conjecture) that Camp will come close to breaking the 1,000 yard mark this year making him only the 5th Deac ever to do so.

The top three wide receivers in Wake history right now appear to be Desmond Clark, Ricky Proehl, and Chris Givens. Givens and Camp have both played three seasons and Givens is better in every single statistical category. Camp also has the second fewest YPC of the top 20 Deacs in career receptions (10.5), but that's really more of a function of his role in the offense than anything else.

Conclusion: Camp with a huge season could possibly be the best WR of all time at Wake, but doing all this research really just reinforced the fact that Givens was an absolute monster. I had forgotten how ridiculous his stats are. I know some of it was going to a pass heavy offense at times with Skinner, but he was on pace to break every single Wake receiving record that mattered.

Kinal's 40.5 average punt was #79 out of 120 tracked by ESPN.

Some of that is down to our conservative to the point of lunacy tactics though. Kinal lead the country with 95 punts. The next closest had 81. Now part of that disparity is our terrible offense (#teamlobo), but we also punted in situations where it made no damn sense to punt at all. You don't want to punt 50+ yards on your side of the field.

2011: Memphis, 95 punts, 42 yards, #43
2010: UNM, 85 punts, 40.5 yards, #78
2009: WSU, 86 punts, 43.2 yards, #34
2008: UCF, 88 punts, 40.5 yards, #86
2007: UCLA, 91 punts, 42.3 yards, #43

Not really a rigorous way to think about it, but point is that generally the real high volume punters don't have great averages.

Side bar: 13 combined wins between those 5 teams (including three one-lossers).

Yeah, he had a lot of short field punts last year I think. That probably hurt his ypp average.

So we tied for the most punts in a season over a 6 season period.

Tough to compare these guys though. Proehl and Clark were completely different players than Givens and Camp. Camp is just a pure flanker while I viewed Givens' role in the offense as a hybrid flanker/traditional wideout. Clark was a big possession guy as you pointed out PH and Proehl was a do it all type guy. I think Proehl and Givens may be the most comparable of any of the four.

This is an interesting discussion though. May be worth writing an article about.

Desmond Clark caught absolutely everything that was thrown to him on some really shit teams. Camp is definitely a lot faster and shiftier, but I'm going to take the guy with the better hands.

If Kinal punts for us the next three years he needs 76 punts a year (just over 6 a game if we make no bowl games) to break the all-time FBS record.

He only needs to average just over 62 per season to break the all-time ACC record. That's easily reachable since Wake has only failed to punt the ball fewer than 70 times once since 2007

Last edited:
While Kinal definitely punted a lot last year, I still think he is underrated by our fan base. He has a monster leg and I believe he will be a huge weapon for us going forward. It sounds dumb, but having him punt as much as he did last year will help him tremendously over the next three years, especially since he comes from a non-traditional background.

I think he'll likely continue to improve. I expect him to be around 42 or 43 yards per punt this year.

Wayne Baumgardner wasn't catching 5 yard dinks, either.

Wayne was clutch and Phil Denfield (sp?) was one of the most dependable tight ends we've ever had. Also had one hell of a leg on kick-offs and field goals.

Last edited:
Hard to get hyped about returning players from a 37-6, 38-0, 55-21 finish.

Didn't Duke have a year like that the year before last and turn around and go to a bowl last year. I still think we go bowling this year as long as we stay healthy.

I am just we return a good number of starters as long as they stay healthy and don't get into trouble I think we can go bowling.

Back