• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

They also forgot that the CT/MA/RI area calls hoagies grinders. They also call shakes frappes.

WalMarks & KMarks is my favorite. I've definitely used "the devil is beating his wife" all my life. I also use SunDrop generically, mostly because it is the only soft drink worth drinking. If I ask for a SunDrop and they don't have it then it isn't worth asking for another type of soft drink..at that point I say sweet tea.

I don't think this is using SunDrop generically, that's specifying the actual drink. Using it generically is like "I want a coke" "oh, what kind of coke?" "a Dr Pepper." You are just ordering a SunDrop and switching to tea if they don't have it.

yeah, that wasn't new to me... i did laugh that it made this survey, though, because it's so far off the mark from "sunshower" and people who've never heard it were probably thinking "w.t.f."

Yup. I actually said 'what the fuck' when I saw that.

"nabs" for a pack of Lance Toastchee crackers. Also called "4 corners" but never hear that anymore.

My BIL comes from a very Southern family. His favorite snack is a pepsi and a pack of nabs.

I'm with everybody on Mary/merry/marry and pen/pin being the same.

BUT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND CAV THAT ONE SOUNDS LIKE THIS WORD AND ONE IS LIKE THIS WORD EVEN THOUGH ALL THE WORDS RHYME WITH ALL THE WORDS?!?!?!?!?!

I feel so validated that my pronunciation of syrup is not crazy. I never thought about it until coming down south and everyone thinking it was odd. I couldn't recall if it was a jersey-wide thing.

What about 'egg' and 'leg'? Apparently I say them incorrectly, pronouncing them 'aig' and 'laig'. Do most people say 'ehg' and 'lehg'?

What about 'egg' and 'leg'? Apparently I say them incorrectly, pronouncing them 'aig' and 'laig'. Do most people say 'ehg' and 'lehg'?

I definitely say them the 2nd way.

That reminded me of bagel, though. Some people say "begel".

Back