• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

I guess I should think of context -

The usage could be different if I said "I'm going to get a soft drink" versus "May I have a soft drink." In either circumstance I'd say Sun Drop instead of soft drink or Coke. I think the idea of referring to it as a Coke is really a brand loyalty thing. Most people prefer Coke, so they say Coke. I prefer Sun Drop so that's what I instinctively say. It just happens that at home, a lot of people do the same thing.

I guess I should think of context -

The usage could be different if I said "I'm going to get a soft drink" versus "May I have a soft drink." In either circumstance I'd say Sun Drop instead of soft drink or Coke. I think the idea of referring to it as a Coke is really a brand loyalty thing. Most people prefer Coke, so they say Coke. I prefer Sun Drop so that's what I instinctively say. It just happens that at home, a lot of people do the same thing.

Would you say sun drop if you're getting a cheerwine?

In Texas it isn't a brand loyalty thing, the brand has just become generic. Similar to saying thermos, fridge, etc.

my mom is from Maryland and adds an "r" to the word "wash" so she warshes dishes and visits Warshington DC. I've never heard anyone else do it so I'm thinking that maybe my mom is just a freak.

My mother-in-law is from rural Texas (about an hour south of DFW) and she says warsh as well.

So you don't say "read" and "red" the same? Different vowels. What about "feat" and "feet." Or even better "fir" and "fur." Or "so" "sew" and "sow."

The first two examples are multiple vowel combinations, so they have their own separate rules. Fir and fur are an i and a u, which are different (and much more similar in most contexts) then the e and a in the merry/mary combo. So and sew are generally the same, sow is different.

The first two examples are multiple vowel combinations, so they have their own separate rules. Fir and fur are an i and a u, which are different (and much more similar in most contexts) then the e and a in the merry/mary combo. So and sew are generally the same, sow is different.

sow (pig) is different, but sow (seeds) is the same as so/sew

we did too

yeah, that wasn't new to me... i did laugh that it made this survey, though, because it's so far off the mark from "sunshower" and people who've never heard it were probably thinking "w.t.f."

Another one of these is the pronunciation of "forward." Some people drop the first "r" for some reason. I don't get it.

defs on "warsh" and "warter" hear that a lot along with "dorter" for daughter in Charleston, SC area

and I knew some kids in Winston growing up who said "roin" (rhyming with groin) for the word "ruin."

WalMarks & KMarks is my favorite. I've definitely used "the devil is beating his wife" all my life. I also use SunDrop generically, mostly because it is the only soft drink worth drinking. If I ask for a SunDrop and they don't have it then it isn't worth asking for another type of soft drink..at that point I say sweet tea.

defs on "warsh" and "warter" hear that a lot along with "dorter" for daughter in Charleston, SC area

and I knew some kids in Winston growing up who said "roin" (rhyming with groin) for the word "ruin."

yeah, 'roin' as well as "oll" (for oil) and 'boll' (boil) ...but it's not a straight 'o' sound in there, it's more guttural, i just don't know how to spell the sound.

"nabs" for a pack of Lance Toastchee crackers. Also called "4 corners" but never hear that anymore.

roof and hoof were overlooked in that map. I say "roof" but my dad's side said "ruff"

yeah, 'roin' as well as "oll" (for oil) and 'boll' (boil) ...but it's not a straight 'o' sound in there, it's more guttural, i just don't know how to spell the sound.

That's definitely how I say oil and boil (kind of like "ole" but different in a way).

Back