• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Some of Y'all Talk Funny

is "fairy, berry, and Harry all rhyme" the new Haas?

Last edited:
Fairy, berry and Harry are all prounced the same too. I don't understand.

This doesn't help at all to people who say the three Ms the same... fairy berry and Harry all rhyme too for those of us who don't differentiate the Ms.

everyone trying to explain this is funny...Cary and Kerry are the same to me...and Berry rhymes with fairy rhymes with Harry

what if fairy berry and harry all rhyme for me though?!?! (because they do when i say them......)

Don't all three on the right also rhyme?

see? ;)

When people say "alls", as in "alls you have to do is..." it's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.

I understand that the intent is for Terry and Larry to have different sounds (whereas Larry and tarry would rhyme), but in my pronunciation of these words, they most definitely sound exactly the same except for T and L.

I still don't understand how Terry and Larry don't rhyme. Do people say "Terry" like "Tear-y?" How else would you say "Terry" so that it doesn't rhyme with Larry?

The soda/pop/coke/soft drink map is interesting to me. Is there a reason St Louis and Milwaukee REFUSE to get on the "pop" bandwagon with the rest of the midwest? Is it because they hate Chicago?

I always called it a soft drink and I'm from Eastern NC and when you break down the maps to the individual answers, the only areas where soft drink is even heard of are Southeastern NC, New Orleans, Western NC, and around the KY/IN border. Weird.

I still don't understand how Terry and Larry don't rhyme. Do people say "Terry" like "Tear-y?" How else would you say "Terry" so that it doesn't rhyme with Larry?

Do you guys/y'all/you all/you pronounce very and vary the same way too, or Perry and parry?

I say very and vary differently, I don't say Perry and parry differently. I say "very" like "veer-y" and vary's first syllable rhymes with "there." I say both Perry and parry like "pear-y". If you said Terry like I say very "Terry" would sound like "tear-y"

I also say pear and pair the same but not the same as pier.

What??? Veer-y? You lost me there homes.

You say vary and very the same? I think a lot of people do. I say them the same when I'm talking fast and "very" come out like "vary", but a lot of the time I do say "very" as "veer-y". I think that's a little bit of the southern accent/mom being from Georgia though. I have a few words like that.

For the most part I say words with an "a" and an "e" in the same place the same.

You say vary and very the same? I think a lot of people do. I say them the same when I'm talking fast and "very" come out like "vary", but a lot of the time I do say "very" as "veer-y". I think that's a little bit of the southern accent/mom being from Georgia though. I have a few words like that.

For the most part I say words with an "a" and an "e" in the same place the same.

I don't veer-y is a southern thing unless I'm making the veer too harsh or something and misunderstanding what you mean.

I def have an accent ( especially when drunk, then I sound ridiculous) and don't think I say it that way (nor anyone in my Mississippi, NC, VA and TX family).

Most of the shit y'all are arguing about is due to the Great Vowel Shift and not regional or dialectical variation. In other words, you are arguing about the idiosyncrasies of English spelling and pronunciation rather than any geographic cause for why some of y'all talk funny. As for the actual idiomatic stuff, that is certainly regional, but no one seems to be arguing about that.

The soda/pop/coke/soft drink map is interesting to me. Is there a reason St Louis and Milwaukee REFUSE to get on the "pop" bandwagon with the rest of the midwest? Is it because they hate Chicago?

I always called it a soft drink and I'm from Eastern NC and when you break down the maps to the individual answers, the only areas where soft drink is even heard of are Southeastern NC, New Orleans, Western NC, and around the KY/IN border. Weird.

I'm from Southeastern NC - everyone says Sun Drop.

Back