• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

Dino didn't seem to carry enough authority to make the players do what was best for the team.

Aminu seems like a good example. I'm sure Dino wasn't thrilled with watching him try to handle ball on fast breaks or on the perimeter. Aminu made his biggest positive impact for us when he was playing inside on the blocks. Yet Dino wasn't able to get Aminu to do that on a consistent basis.

Dino is a terrible head coach. He recruited some players who weren't very interested in school. He also had some problems with personnel at the university.

Dino didn't seem to carry enough authority to make the players do what was best for the team.

Aminu seems like a good example. I'm sure Dino wasn't thrilled with watching him try to handle ball on fast breaks or on the perimeter. Aminu made his biggest positive impact for us when he was playing inside on the blocks. Yet Dino wasn't able to get Aminu to do that on a consistent basis.

One thing I'd think would be a factor when promoting an assistant, especially in a situation like Skip is the "you're not my daddy" effect.

I don't know how much authority Dino had on that staff before Skip passed, but it's hard to expect that he would just assume the same authority as Skip had. Maybe if Skip left for another job and Dino was promoted with Skip's blessing, but not in a situation in which Dino got the job by default.

His teams lost focus. That should be priority #1 for a coach. Without focus nothing else you have taught the team will matter.

I find it hard to believe that Dino didn't have the respect of his teams, at least initially. All the players supported his appointment as the HC. Maybe with the new blood, that changed. Could also be why his first year was, IMO, his best as HC.

I don't think he was an overall terrible head coach...

A terrible postseason coach?...no doubt...

But he did great things during the grind of the regular season.

No he didn't. Terrible coach, period. His postseason failures are overstated and are not what made him a terrible coach.

No he didn't. Terrible coach, period. His postseason failures are overstated and are not what made him a terrible coach.
Really?

Averaging 20 wins a season and 9 wins in conference isn't good?....especially after this year...

He also had us at #1 and brought in some good players

Not saying he was John Wooden, but he wasn't Sidney Lowe

Yeah he was.

By the end of the season Aminu was going against his instinct and passing to a guard, rather than leading a fast break.

The original DC blog post mentioned *edited out* Is this the one you read?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Collins sucks. The blog post was just a whining, misguided rant because he wasn't given the scoop about why Dino was fired.

Back