• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

These are two comments from the original DC post (the one that was pulled). I think they make clear Dan Collins did not take the rumor he came across seriously:
Dan - Thanks for defending Coach Gaudio.

gt on 02/18/2011 (10:28 pm)

Thank you for having the courage to “go there” Dan. Let’s hope your article puts that garbage rumor to rest once and for all!

AG on 02/18/2011 (10:26 pm)

Dino coached the Deacs for some of the most soul- suckingly bad losses I have ever seen, many of them in tournaments. There were games that you knew we would lose by the first TV timeout because our highly ranked team did not show up to play that day. Dino simply was not a winner. I don't think Bzzz is the answer, but Dino was never going to get it done (unless it was to win games in December).

I really believe it when I say that I could have gotten at least 50 of the 61 wins that Dino got if you just inserted me in as the coach.

Dino was a great recruiter, but an awful motivator/coach

These are two comments from the original DC post (the one that was pulled). I think they make clear Dan Collins did not take the rumor he came across seriously:

Those appear to be reader comments, with no affirmation from Dan.

I have no idea if this one's true or not, but I don't think it can be brushed under the table so easily.

*edited out*

Last edited by a moderator:
Those appear to be reader comments, with no affirmation from Dan.

I have no idea if this one's true or not, but I don't think it can be brushed under the table so easily.

*edited out*

I heard this from several people around campus/around town.

I really believe it when I say that I could have gotten at least 50 of the 61 wins that Dino got if you just inserted me in as the coach.

Yea, I also believe that.

And considering what LD told me after the Cleveland State loss, it truly seemed like Dino just "rolled the ball out" on the offensive end.

Yea, I also believe that.

And considering what LD told me after the Cleveland State loss, it truly seemed like Dino just "rolled the ball out" on the offensive end.

Starting Tony Woods is a decision that will live in infamy.

Oh god. I forgot about that one.

But yea, LD said that they hadn't really installed an offensive philosophy that season because coach wanted them to "play loose" and do what they do. This obviously worked in those North Carolina and Duke games, where Jeff and James took over and just balled out.

But then the Georgia Tech loss happened, and LD said Dino backtracked and tried to install some semblance of an offense mid season. Clearly this didn't work too well.

As bad as we played, I don't think starting Woods made much difference to the final outcome. We were just completely unprepared for the postseason.

Disagree that Dino was a great recruiter. There is a lot more to recruiting that simply getting players to commit. Dino was pretty good at that part, which is part of what made him a good assistant.

And it's not like we were landing bluechippers in his recruiting classes either. The 2010 class was ranked pretty highly, but that should have been expected considering we had just about the fewest returning minutes of any school in the country. 2011 recruiting wasn't going very well either (expected, considering we had so many underclassmen) when Dino was canned.

But anyway, my point is that a larger part of recruiting is identifying who you want to recruit -- guys that fit in to whatever system you want to play, but also fit in with each other. Under Dino it seemed like we were just recruiting the best player available, which is not a good thing.

I don't know why Dino was fired; I would like to know, but I don't necessarily HAVE to know all the details. It's hard for me to believe the *edited out*, but I don't know.

From people in the profession I've talked to, I don't think he was extremely highly regarded (as opposed to Jeff Battle - no one I've ever spoken to hasn't just fallen over themselves praising Battle).

I think the department's biggest mistake was stating a reason for firing Dino that, while it may have been true, they did not solve with their hire. Now it's constant back-tracking and defending. That said, I'm fully on board with giving Bz a chance to implement his system and giving him time to win his way. Hopefully it works.

Unfortunately Buzz has never shown that he can win "his way" on a consistent basis. He is now 58 years old. It probably should have shown up by now.

From what I gathered based on what I read on the boards and heard from others was a combination that he and Wellman didn't get along combined with the late season collapses and issues with Dino having control of his team. I never thought Dino was the solution here long term but was surprised he was fired when he was (thought he would be given this season and then probably let go).

I don't know why Dino was fired; I would like to know, but I don't necessarily HAVE to know all the details. *edited out*

From people in the profession I've talked to, I don't think he was extremely highly regarded (as opposed to Jeff Battle - no one I've ever spoken to hasn't just fallen over themselves praising Battle).

I think the department's biggest mistake was stating a reason for firing Dino that, while it may have been true, they did not solve with their hire. Now it's constant back-tracking and defending. That said, I'm fully on board with giving Bz a chance to implement his system and giving him time to win his way. Hopefully it works.

Lets promote Battle to head coach. He couldn't be worse than Bzzz.

Back