• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

The truth is that I've known Jeff since our high school days and he's a good friend of mine. When I saw the opportunity to get myself canned, I took it so that Jeff could take a step up and get a nice paycheck for next to nothing. I got my buyout and a sweet gig at ESPN, Jeff got his Prius, and Ron is still untouchable. We're all happy.

Exactly. The extension made zero sense when Dino was then fired the next year despite going farther in the tournament. Made absolutely no sense.

He had to give him an extension so he could recruit. Otherwise we wouldn't of even had our freshman class. The extension meant nothing at the time but always made perfect sense to me, both then and now.

He had to give him an extension so he could recruit. Otherwise we wouldn't of even had our freshman class. The extension meant nothing at the time but always made perfect sense to me, both then and now.

This should just be auto-posted every time a Dino thread has the word "extension" in it. I'm not sure why people don't understand the concept. Even when it was issued everyone on the boards knew it had nothing to do with his longevity.

*edited out* The bottom line is Dino fucked our team in the postseason every year, and that was reason enough. All other details, hard feelings, inclinations, mistakes, etc - at most they moved up his firing by a year.

There is no way Dino ever would have made it through this season. Zero chance. None whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many years did he have left on his contract at the end of the 2008-09 season?

Fellow Buzzinners, I solemnly promise you that I will never dip my wand in Mother So Dear's pond.

Now, let's get psyched for a SUPER recruiting season!!

BUZZ IN BABY!!!

The orginal contract was for five years. I'm too lazy to do the math on how many years were left when he got the extension. But the rule of thumb for a revenue sport is you want to the coach to be able to say that he will be there for the recruits entire four years by pointing to his contract.

Last May, I was briefed by someone very close to the Deacon Club on the whole situation. What I was told corroborates most of what has been posted here, with a few added details and exceptions:

1. *edited out*
2. Control of the team was definitely an issue. There were two specific examples given involving two different players, and the lack of follow through on discipline late last season created dissension within the coaching staff that nearly boiled over in a public way.
3. The list of candidates here is missing a name that was considered, but we backed when we learned how crooked the dude is. I'll not mention the coach's name.

The orginal contract was for five years. I'm too lazy to do the math on how many years were left when he got the extension. But the rule of thumb for a revenue sport is you want to the coach to be able to say that he will be there for the recruits entire four years by pointing to his contract.

That would be 3 years left, if my math is correct.

Last May, I was briefed by someone very close to the Deacon Club on the whole situation. What I was told corroborates most of what has been posted here, with a few added details and exceptions:

1. *edited out*
2. Control of the team was definitely an issue. There were two specific examples given involving two different players, and the lack of follow through on discipline late last season created dissension within the coaching staff that nearly boiled over in a public way.
3. The list of candidates here is missing a name that was considered, but we backed when we learned how crooked the dude is. I'll not mention the coach's name.

Scott Drew is my guess.

1. *edited out*

Scott Drew would be my guess...

Edit: Doh!

1. *edited out*

1. I agree.
2. I am interested to hear those issues
3. I bet it was the dude from Baylor.

I have a hard time believing we didn't already know Drew was crooked.

Maybe Gregg Marshall? It's always been hinted that the guy has some skeletons in his closet.

When I was a manager in 07, a lot of the players were talking about how it was going to be hard for Dino to be the head coach because they were used to him being the nice assistant coach that they joked around with before Skip passed, and he had never been an authority figure until then. I could see how that attitude may have colored his time as HC and made it harder.

When I was a manager in 07, a lot of the players were talking about how it was going to be hard for Dino to be the head coach because they were used to him being the nice assistant coach that they joked around with before Skip passed, and he had never been an authority figure until then. I could see how that attitude may have colored his time as HC and made it harder.

If he was the Asst that kept the levity up when other coaches were being the "bad cop" then I could easily see that being an issue. Such a change of gears for both the coach and the players.

When you think about "real" reasons (*edited out*), these all make sense about Dino.

I think it is clear that he did not have the team, and they did not respect him as the head coach. See the players actions on the courts (Aminu still dribbling the length of the court, effort lacking a lot of the time) to validate that.

Keep in mind that Jeff Battle was the first assistant offered the job (if I recall correctly). That was for a reason, and it may have been for several different ones. If Ron Wellman felt he didn't have time to get another coach, or he wanted to keep a coach from the staff, Dino Gaudio would have been the next most feasible option, even if he was not necessarily a very good one.

Back