• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

What information did Wellman have about the culture of Wake basketball when Dino was fired that he didn't have when he gave Dino an extension? Culture doesn't happen in such a short time frame. It develops over time.

I just want Wellman to man up. Either drop the culture act or take responsibility for problems with the culture as the leader of Wake athletics. That's my argument.

And again, one of my favorite things on the board is when people use the hindsight argument to say things like "you can't blame the guy and act like Wellman was a moron for doing so just because you know what happened since that point" to argue with people who disagreed with the original decision in the first place. You even say that yourself with regard to the [Redacted] hire.

You can't use your argument against me because:
1. I didn't think Dino should be our head coach in the first place.
2. At the most, given the situation he should have been a one year interim head coach while we did a search to find another coach.
3. I definitely was against the extension and any coaching maneuver made purely for recruiting purposes.

Instead of criticizing me, you should be lauding me for being on top of this from the beginning. There was no hindsight involved in my take on Dino's hire and tenure at Wake.

Funny you put it that way, since neither our AD nor his hand-picked coach seem to have any interest for taking any responsibility for our current situation. I don't think either of them has said once all year that he could have done something any better or taken responsibility for anything at all.

Last edited:
Nope. He was a poor helpless athletic director of a major athletic program who couldn't control the culture surrounding his marquee program.

Everyone realizes this.

Ph is saying it's Wellman's fault that we have Dino-style recruits because he gave him an extension. The extension had nothing to do with it. Plus we have some great guys from Dino's classes, so I'm just wondering who specifically he's targeting as culture-less.

When Battle turned down the job after Skip died we should have gone after a big name immediately and just hoped the recruits would stay.

The [Redacted] hire backlash is Wellman paying for that mistake. Outside of landing Bob Knight or someone ridiculous, whatever coach was hired was going to lose a ton of games and suffer a huge amount of criticism. It would inevitably fall on Wellman.

I didn't turn on Wellman till he did his ridiculous, "couldn't be happier with the state of the basketball program" PR blitz. That infuriated me.

Easily could have said, "While this season is not acceptable at Wake Forest, I firmly believe that with Coach [Redacted] we can turn this thing around sooner, rather than later. Blah blah blah."

But instead he tried to shovel pig shit down our throats and treated us like we were stupid, blind followers of his.

I just want Wellman to man up. Either drop the culture act or take responsibility for problems with the culture as the leader of Wake athletics. That's my argument.

And again, one of my favorite things on the board is when people use the hindsight argument to say things like "you can't blame the guy and act like Wellman was a moron for doing so just because you know what happened since that point" to argue with people who disagreed with the original decision in the first place. You even say that yourself with regard to the [Redacted] hire.

You can't use your argument against me because:
1. I didn't think Dino should be our head coach in the first place.
2. At the most, given the situation he should have been a one year interim head coach while we did a search to find another coach.
3. I definitely was against the extension and any coaching maneuver made purely for recruiting purposes.

Instead of criticizing me, you should be lauding me for being on top of this from the beginning. There was no hindsight involved in my take on Dino's hire and tenure at Wake.

Should Wellman come out and say "I think all of our current players and those immediately preceding them are absolutely shitty and we need to go a different direction"? A lot of your posts seem to be of the "I was ahead of the curve because I didn't like Dino." There were a ton of us who thought that it was a good emotional hire and nothing more. Has there ever been a successful recruiting class that has come in for an Interim Coach?

So through open discussion *irony edit*

If you want to split hairs, it has neither been proven true or false. Some posters (both here and there) with inside sources have said they never heard mention *edited out*. Some posters with inside sources have said that was one of, if not the main reason. People will believe what they want to but it has been painfully obvious that he wasn't fired just for sucking in the post season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should Wellman come out and say "I think all of our current players and those immediately preceding them are absolutely shitty and we need to go a different direction"? A lot of your posts seem to be of the "I was ahead of the curve because I didn't like Dino." There were a ton of us who thought that it was a good emotional hire and nothing more. Has there ever been a successful recruiting class that has come in for an Interim Coach?

That's one interpretation of all the culture talk.

That's one interpretation of all the culture talk.

And another would be that we have a good core group of guys that need more than just a buddy for a head coach. The real definition of this culture is only known to Wellman and he sure isn't talking about it.

Point of view determines truth.

Then he should have used another word besides culture.

Such as what? Since you were ahead of the game, what would you have said publicly?

If we put the rumors of Dino's sexual peccadilloes into historical perspective, we will get rather interesting results. Let's have a look.

Murray Greason, retired in 1957.

Bones McKinney (1957-1965) resigned suddenly, but the campus rumors for years afterwards were that he really got fired for "drinking too much and 'shaking up' - in the jargon of the day - with a secretary from the religion department."

Jackie Murdock (1965-1967) was probably always thought of as a temporary stop-gap solution, although that may have been a mistake. Let go in 1967.

Jack McClosky (1967-1972) resigned to go to the Portland Trailblazers. Once Billy Packer left, he couldn't recruit, and so the cupboard was quite bare when he split.

Carl Tacy (1972-1985) resigned suddenly during the summer of 1985 saying he was burned out, but actually because he felt he was not being given enough support.

Bob Staak (1985-1988) forced to resign. Rumors at the time were that he had been porking a cheerleader and also on the bottle a lot.

Dave Odom (1988-2001) resigned to become head coach of South Carolina. Also felt he was not being given enough support.

Skip Prosser (2001-2007) died suddenly and tragically of a heart attack.

Dino Gaudio (2007-2010) despite having a winning record, he was dismissed after three years without much of an explanation. *edited out*

Anybody notice a pattern here? Part of the reason that the Wake Forest men's basketball coach is fired almost always includes sexual indiscretions, and perhaps loving the sauce too much. Or we can view this from a different perspective. If you get fired as basketball coach at Wake, rumors will be circulated about your sexual infidelities and relationship with the bottle.

*edited out*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back