• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

I feel like Wellman is laying low for now. I have yet to see him at a baseball game and his time spent on the basketball post game shows were his way of avoiding the fans.

If we put the rumors of Dino's sexual peccadilloes into historical perspective, we will get rather interesting results. Let's have a look.

Murray Greason, retired in 1957.

Bones McKinney (1957-1965) resigned suddenly, but the campus rumors for years afterwards were that he really got fired for "drinking too much and 'shaking up' - in the jargon of the day - with a secretary from the religion department."

Jackie Murdock (1965-1967) was probably always thought of as a temporary stop-gap solution, although that may have been a mistake. Let go in 1967.

Jack McClosky (1967-1972) resigned to go to the Portland Trailblazers. Once Billy Packer left, he couldn't recruit, and so the cupboard was quite bare when he split.

Carl Tacy (1972-1985) resigned suddenly during the summer of 1985 saying he was burned out, but actually because he felt he was not being given enough support.

Bob Staak (1985-1988) forced to resign. Rumors at the time were that he had been porking a cheerleader and also on the bottle a lot.

Dave Odom (1988-2001) resigned to become head coach of South Carolina. Also felt he was not being given enough support.

Skip Prosser (2001-2007) died suddenly and tragically of a heart attack.

Dino Gaudio (2007-2010) despite having a winning record, he was dismissed after three years without much of an explanation. *edited out*

Anybody notice a pattern here? Part of the reason that the Wake Forest men's basketball coach is fired almost always includes sexual indiscretions, and perhaps loving the sauce too much. Or we can view this from a different perspective. If you get fired as basketball coach at Wake, rumors will be circulated about your sexual infidelities and relationship with the bottle.

Very interesting post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Wellman is laying low for now. I have yet to see him at a baseball game and his time spent on the basketball post game shows were his way of avoiding the fans.

I saw him on TV in the front row of the Carolina basketball game in CLT. I don't call that laying low.

Regarding Bones, I heard that he would always go to his car during half times of games to get a quick drink in. He developed a reputation for this behavior and tried this at one opposing team (Clemson, maybe?) and they locked him out of the arena just to fuck with him. Heard that one from an old timer.

yeah as long as it doesnt effect the program i dont care what these coaches personal lives are like. Walter, the baseball coach, while a much lower profile job can constantly be seen out in winston carousing with local cougars.

Yikes. One has to wonder about the quality of Winston's local cougars. :squint:

bkf, drives me batty sometimes but I wish you could have seen Skip Brown and Rod Griffin play. Very few Nba slots back then but Rod did great in Italy. Tacy makes Bz look colorful.

I thought Bones resigned because he was on harder stuff than the sauce and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I guess the other question that should be asked is what would happen if we hired a coach who turned out to be a boozer and who slept around like there's no tomorrow, but say he won ACC championships and continually took us deep in the tournament. Furthermore, say none of his conduct was illegal and that none of his personal habits interfered with any of his basketball duties. I wouldn't want to see this guy fired because of what he did on his own time. But I'm sure there are some fire and brimstone folks given our Baptist heritage who would want this guy run off.

We are going to hire Gary Williams???

I drank a couple beer with Dino on two occasions. He didn't come across as a boozehound or anything.

I remember running into Dino at Milner's a couple of times. Never struck me as a heavy drinker, but it wasn't like we hung out.

Back