• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wiccans claim Halloween is "bigotry"

I think of the Lumbee the same way I think of red necks from Appalachia.

I think of Wiccans the same way I think about kids who are super into D&D or grown ups who worship Star Wars/Star Trek/other weird SciFi shit. Hell Scientology might even be a decent comparison.

So DF07 whatever level you think is appropriate to be offended because you're an Appalachian redneck or a super Sci Fi nerd, you can apply to their counterparts.

And BBD just shut the fuck up. You're the fucking worst.

Last edited:

I think of Wiccans the same way I think about kids who are super into D&D or grow ups who worship Star Wars/Star Trek/other weird SciFi shit. Hell Scientology might even be a decent comparison.

So DF07 whatever level you think is appropriate to be offended because you're an Appalachian redneck or a super Sci Fi nerd, you can apply to their counterparts.

You didn't answer my question. Just to keep things simple, let's just focus on religion. What makes a group of people who ascribe to a certain belief system and/or practice a "legitimate" religion in your eyes? If you don't consider any religion legitimate, that's fine, I'll concede that point, but who decides which religions count and which are just the equivalent of an interest group?

I think of Wiccans the same way I think about kids who are super into D&D or grow ups who worship Star Wars/Star Trek/other weird SciFi shit. Hell Scientology might even be a decent comparison.

This just shows me that you don't know what you are talking about at all. It's like saying I think of Christians as Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker and Pat Robertson. Just because that's how the media portrays Wicca/Paganism doesn't mean it has very much to do with the religion. I never played a role playing game in my life outside of the bedroom, I have never seen Star Trek, don't care one way or the other about Star Wars, etc. and many more of us fall into that category than stereotype you're stuck on.

This just shows me that you don't know what you are talking about at all. It's like saying I think of Christians as Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker and Pat Robertson. Just because that's how the media portrays Wicca/Paganism doesn't mean it has very much to do with the religion. I never played a role playing game in my life outside of the bedroom, I have never seen Star Trek, don't care one way or the other about Star Wars, etc. and many more of us fall into that category than stereotype you're stuck on.

If that side of Wica is the true religion, than why are Wiccans offended by the idea of Halloween?

Are these Wiccans like the Westboro Baptist Church of your religion? Because if so than we can just leave it at that and move on.

I won't stand for the trashing of MY PEOPLE, the Lumbee Indians. DF07, you with me paw-diddy?

I won't stand for the trashing of MY PEOPLE, the Lumbee Indians. DF07, you with me paw-diddy?

I just rolled my eyes at "brasky gonna brasky" on that one. The lack of self-determination given to American Indian identity is pretty absurd.

If that side of Wica is the true religion, than why are Wiccans offended by the idea of Halloween?

Are these Wiccans like the Westboro Baptist Church of your religion? Because if so than we can just leave it at that and move on.

I see the offensiveness of Halloween witches to practitioners of Wicca being similar to a Catholic being offended by a caricature of a priest molesting a kid costume. There is a difference in acknowledging how something could be offensive and banning that something.

I see the offensiveness of Halloween witches to practitioners of Wicca being similar to a Catholic being offended by a caricature of a priest molesting a kid costume. There is a difference in acknowledging how something could be offensive and banning that something.

I see it more as Orthodox Christians being insulted by the thought of Santa Claus and the fact that Christmas has become a business holiday, more than a religious one.

However I'll let Chic answer for her peoples.

I see it more as Orthodox Christians being insulted by the thought of Santa Claus and the fact that Christmas has become a business holiday, more than a religious one.

However I'll let Chic answer for her peoples.

Pretty sure she did.

I think of Wiccans the same way I think about kids who are super into D&D or grown ups who worship Star Wars/Star Trek/other weird SciFi shit. Hell Scientology might even be a decent comparison.

lol. so much bitching and whining.

"God, why are all these people so OFFENDED. God, they're the fucking worst!! Why can't everyone just shut the fuck up and have exactly the same opinions that I do!!!"

lol. so much bitching and whining.

"God, why are all these people so OFFENDED. God, they're the fucking worst!! Why can't everyone just shut the fuck up and have exactly the same opinions that I do!!!"

So you're the one always getting his panties in a wad and he's the one always getting his panties in a wad about people getting their panties in a wad.....They should make a sitcom about you two being roommates

So you're the one always getting his panties in a wad and he's the one always getting his panties in a wad about people getting their panties in a wad.....They should make a sitcom about you two being roommates

meh

Really would like to hear from Boogity on this one.

People have the right to worship in accordance with their own worldview as long as its not harmful to others.

But I do have a funny story about Wiccans. Several years ago I shared an office with an old lawyer in his 80s. He didn't have much business, so he spent the day reading the recent appellate opinions as they were handed down. He would then come discuss them with me, so it was like I had my own personal law school professor, free of charge, whether I wanted it or not.

One day he burst into my office and asked "What is a Wy-Can sex ritual?". I told him I didn't know. Then he said "OK, what is a Wy-Can?". I had no idea until I looked at what he was reading and I realized it was "Wiccan", and I did my best to explain it to him. Anyway, he was reading an appellate opinion pertaining to a criminal prosecution of someone charged with child molestation and the Defendant had claimed that it was not a sexual offense but was actually a form of worship. But this old dude kept asking me "Well, what did they do in their sex ritual? What do you think they did? If you had to guess, what kind of sex was it?", and I kept telling him that I didn't know or care to know.

I got the feeling that he was trying to educate me on recent legal developments, and he wanted me to educate him on recent sexual developments and I wasn't much help because I had no idea what kind of sex Wiccans had.

People have the right to worship in accordance with their own worldview as long as its not harmful to others.

But I do have a funny story about Wiccans. Several years ago I shared an office with an old lawyer in his 80s. He didn't have much business, so he spent the day reading the recent appellate opinions as they were handed down. He would then come discuss them with me, so it was like I had my own personal law school professor, free of charge, whether I wanted it or not.

One day he burst into my office and asked "What is a Wy-Can sex ritual?". I told him I didn't know. Then he said "OK, what is a Wy-Can?". I had no idea until I looked at what he was reading and I realized it was "Wiccan", and I did my best to explain it to him. Anyway, he was reading an appellate opinion pertaining to a criminal prosecution of someone charged with child molestation and the Defendant had claimed that it was not a sexual offense but was actually a form of worship. But this old dude kept asking me "Well, what did they do in their sex ritual? What do you think they did? If you had to guess, what kind of sex was it?", and I kept telling him that I didn't know or care to know.

I got the feeling that he was trying to educate me on recent legal developments, and he wanted me to educate him on recent sexual developments and I wasn't much help because I had no idea what kind of sex Wiccans had.

You should have told him to PM chic for the DEETS. Ball State Deac once shared a response he got from her about her affinity for role playing, and it made me fear for Mett's life a little. It's common knowledge that he bruises easily, so there was much reason for concern.

And actually I think I told that story on the old boards, and when I did was when Chic outed herself as a Wiccan and started talking about all kinds of "sex magic" or "magic sex" or whatnot. I thought that was cool because I had previously assumed that all Wiccans were fat old women who who lived in Decatur and wore black robes all the time, and not totally cool like Chic.

And actually I think I told that story on the old boards, and when I did was when Chic outed herself as a Wiccan and started talking about all kinds of "sex magic" or "magic sex" or whatnot. I thought that was cool because I had previously assumed that all Wiccans were fat old women who who lived in Decatur and wore black robes all them time, and not totally cool like Chic.

Boogity's xenophobia is always so much more endearing than brasky's.

Back