• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Willing to take on a few Hoops Bets @ 17.5

the-warriors-luther.jpg

JAAAAAAAAAAYBOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't there some big-talking poster from the Winston area on TOB-Premium that ponied up a million from his inheritance if Bzzz and Grobe were fired this year? Or some shit like that? I can't seem to remember what exactly his bet against the board was. Anyone remember this?

no i believe the deal was at the end of year 3. It also wasn't a bet. He was basically pledging money if Wake cleaned house after last year. I think he pledged it because he knew it wasn't going to happen even though it needed to.

I find it revealing that the gloaters put no skin the game. My Daddy taught me to win lose or draw with class. While I have very little class, I do win lose or draw with the same demeanor.

At the end of the day, I did really believe in this collection of players to basically be a top 75 team in the country. I was wrong. I'm a bit bummed, not really because of the money but for what it says about this collection of players, most of which will likely be here 2-3 more years. Really hope we get both a first class coach who motivates, leads, and protects his players, and that the influx of talent committed is better than I fear it is.

Coaching change or not, will take no bets next year. I got no pulse of this team going forward and the pulse I thought I had for this year was too bullish.

All that said, I do oddly enjoy watching them play with "enjoy" being a loaded word meaning I have generally hopeful expectations from game to game (save that Carolina game).

I bet we even come out playing really well against Duke this week (only to get just butt fucked in the the first 10 minutes of the second half and/or last 10 minutes of the first half).

Last edited:
also - I got no way of paying thedeacfan until he sends me a private message via here.

If it was a silly bet, I don't get why you didn't try and take advantage ... It's easy to say now, but when we were sitting at 4-3 only a few thought we'd go for 1 for February and maybe 0 for March. And that was more Bzd is so for shit posts. I was sitting relatively pretty on January 30th or whenever it was - when we were what? 14-5???

As far as I can tell, there were four guys who backed up their beliefs with bets. PH had the biggest balls and the other three took very solid bets and put their money where their mouth was. The loudest on this particular thread didn't place a bet.

I honestly I thought we'd win 18 relatively easily, not because of of Bzd but because we had 5 1/2 legit guys who could put the ball in the basket. I was bullish on Cav which has proven to be somewhat a good bet, so I thought with Thomas and CMM and Travis and Coron and Moto, we'd score enough to win 18-20 games and be an NIT team. I really did. I want to hope that Bzd suck out the soul of this team and served it to his family for brunch on Sundays because that is about the only way to be hopeful for next year. It is weird. Individually, I like this collection of players more than any team since Ish left and it is not even close. Yet, this team is more disappointing than last year's team and it is essentially the same players. I fear taking Bzd out of the equation does not a 20-win team make.

This team (and all of Buzz's team here) sucks so bad because we are the worst at playing team defense and combine that with horrible rebounding we have to be on all cylinders offensively to win against average to good teams. On defense we don't talk, we don't rotate and we don't help. It is worse than church league defense.

If it was a silly bet, I don't get why you didn't try and take advantage ... It's easy to say now, but when we were sitting at 4-3 only a few thought we'd go for 1 for February and maybe 0 for March. And that was more Bzd is so for shit posts. I was sitting relatively pretty on January 30th or whenever it was - when we were what? 14-5???

As far as I can tell, there were four guys who backed up their beliefs with bets. PH had the biggest balls and the other three took very solid bets and put their money where their mouth was. The loudest on this particular thread didn't place a bet.

I honestly I thought we'd win 18 relatively easily, not because of of Bzd but because we had 5 1/2 legit guys who could put the ball in the basket. I was bullish on Cav which has proven to be somewhat a good bet, so I thought with Thomas and CMM and Travis and Coron and Moto, we'd score enough to win 18-20 games and be an NIT team. I really did. I want to hope that Bzd suck out the soul of this team and served it to his family for brunch on Sundays because that is about the only way to be hopeful for next year. It is weird. Individually, I like this collection of players more than any team since Ish left and it is not even close. Yet, this team is more disappointing than last year's team and it is essentially the same players. I fear taking Bzd out of the equation does not a 20-win team make.
Deliverance-2.png

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaybone- you are right that the talent level on this team is not very good. I disagree with you on enjoying watching them play, however. As players, Miller-McIntyre, McKie, Moto, and Williams are the only guys who I enjoy watching at all. And Williams is scraping to get on that list. As bad as Miller-McIntyre has played over the past month, you can still see flashes of an above-average basketball player from him. McKie has his bad moments, but that guy has really worked for 4 years while playing for the worst coach at Wake in my lifetime (and I watched Coach Staak's teams). Moto also has the ability to make things happen if he plays for a coach and staff that can work on his skills and put him in a position to succeed on the court.

This is a bad team of average players that don't fit together well. We people (including me) said that a recruiting class of 7 guys who had low rankings would set the program back for years, this is what we were talking about.

This team (and all of Buzz's team here) sucks so bad because we are the worst at playing team defense and combine that with horrible rebounding we have to be on all cylinders offensively to win against average to good teams. On defense we don't talk, we don't rotate and we don't help. It is worse than church league defense.

I don't totally agree with that. I think we swing over on the baseline okay, but that is basic stuff really. What we are the worst team at boxing out I can remember. And some of the worst offenders should be good at it: Travis and Aaron. Cav and Thomas are okay at it. Travis and Rountree awful, Moto bad and our guards other than Coron don't even bother to get long board off 3 point shots.

jaybone getting pissy because people are calling him out for making a stupid bet and backing it up with stupid excuses is like saying we're not allowed to criticize wake basketball because we didn't lace 'em up and play in the games ourselves

Jaybone- you are right that the talent level on this team is not very good. I disagree with you on enjoying watching them play, however. As players, Miller-McIntyre, McKie, Moto, and Williams are the only guys who I enjoy watching at all. And Williams is scraping to get on that list. As bad as Miller-McIntyre has played over the past month, you can still see flashes of an above-average basketball player from him. McKie has his bad moments, but that guy has really worked for 4 years while playing for the worst coach at Wake in my lifetime (and I watched Coach Staak's teams). Moto also has the ability to make things happen if he plays for a coach and staff that can work on his skills and put him in a position to succeed on the court.

This is a bad team of average players that don't fit together well. We people (including me) said that a recruiting class of 7 guys who had low rankings would set the program back for years, this is what we were talking about.

Disagree on Cav. he's a tougher player than I expected. I think he'll be a good player for us for the next two years.

To be fair jaybone, you said upfront that you could only take a few bets. Others may have wanted to get in on this.

jaybone getting pissy because people are calling him out for making a stupid bet and backing it up with stupid excuses is like saying we're not allowed to criticize wake basketball because we didn't lace 'em up and play in the games ourselves

not at all. I don't think it was a stupid bet, but where are these excuses I'm making? We lost. I lost. We didn't have any injuries really that caused us to lose a game, or lose any last second games. I haven't posted anything like that. We won games we arguably should have lost which I have said on this thread due to opponents having injuries (Richmond most notably). Unless you mean me explaining why I thought I'd win these bets as "excuses"

It didn't look like such a bad collection of bets when we were 14-5 or 14-6 or whatever it was. The only game I thought we should have won we have lost was really the Syracuse game ironically. We played loose and pretty well just missed a ton of shots, good shots. But I wouldn't even argue that the season would have progressed any differently had we somehow won that game. We didn't capitalize on any other "big" wins from earlier in the year so I have no reason to believe we'd do it off another home win even if it was against the #1 team in the country - who played terribly btw against us.

Moonz is wearing le bone DOWN. Great e-drama.

Moonz honestly ain't got nothing. He couldn't Jason Terry me unless he got significant help from you. Come on. Don't undersell your Terry work, Irish. You're literally better than that (this).

Back