• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter/Spring Sports (2/12 Update)

Rafi

Reaction score
While the football team has struggled, the rest of the fall sports teams are off to impressive starts.

Women's Soccer, 5-0, ranked 7th and a clear national title contender.

Men's Soccer, 2-1, ranked 21st and with a really good win at BC on Saturday night (first win at BC ever). I think this is a top 10 team and final 4 contender. Does anyone know why Michael Gamble hasn't played?

Field Hockey, 2-1, ranked 18th and beat #9 Michigan in their last game. Looks like a potential top 10 team.

Volleyball, 5-1, off to one of their best starts ever. The new coach (Murczek) seems to be a great get. He started in the early spring and the team beat several ACC schools during the spring season (#24 UNC, VT, UVA, etc). Has the volleyball team ever been in the top 25?

Men's cross-country had 5 of the top 6 finishers at the VT meet and women's had 2 of the top 3. I'm not very familiar with cross-country, but I know some on here are and hopefully they can fill us in as to how the team is looking.

Tennis and golf, while not fall sports per se, compete some in the fall and appear to have a lot of young talent. The tennis teams in particular are really loading up on incredible recruits.

Last edited:
While the football team has struggled, the rest of the fall sports teams are off to impressive starts.

Women's Soccer, 5-0, ranked 7th and a clear national title contender.

Men's Soccer, 2-1, ranked 21st and with a really good win at BC on Saturday night (first win at BC ever). I think this is a top 10 team and final 4 contender. Does anyone know why Michael Gamble hasn't played?

Field Hockey, 2-1, ranked 18th and beat #9 Michigan in their last game. Looks like a potential top 10 team.

Volleyball, 5-1, off to one of their best starts ever. The new coach (Murczek) seems to be a great get. He started in the early spring and the team beat several ACC schools during the spring season (#24 UNC, VT, UVA, etc). Has the volleyball team ever been in the top 25?

Men's cross-country had 5 of the top 6 finishers at the VT meet and women's had 2 of the top 3. I'm not very familiar with cross-country, but I know some on here are and hopefully they can fill us in as to how the team is looking.

Tennis and golf, while not fall sports per se, compete some in the fall and appear to have a lot of young talent. The tennis teams in particular are really loading up on incredible recruits.

Great post which needed to be made. These crybabies and bed wetters need to remember it's not just about basketball and football at Wake Forest University.

Keep up the GREAT WORK, Wellman!!!

the coaches making less than 1 million$ per year seem to be doing well.

I have to admit, but it's nice to watch the women's teams (no perv), but I don't follow them. Same with Tennis and baseball. I like Wake Sports to do well, but my emotion is tied to Hoops and football. (I suppose step one is admitting you have an issue right)..

I will say the women's soccer team is off to a very good start. I've been to three games so far this season and they are a lot of fun. It's refreshing to watch a very good/well-coached Wake team play. They take on #2 FSU on Thursday at 7 and I would encourage local Deacs to come out and support the team if possible. The men's team also plays Virginia on Friday night.

The title of the thread needs to be "Other Fall Sports..."

It looks like the hires for men's and women's tennis along with volleyball were outstanding.

A brief reminder that Wellman does not run the hiring process for the women's sports (and may not for the more minor men's sports either).

I will say the women's soccer team is off to a very good start. I've been to three games so far this season and they are a lot of fun. It's refreshing to watch a very good/well-coached Wake team play. They take on #2 FSU on Thursday at 7 and I would encourage local Deacs to come out and support the team if possible. The men's team also plays Virginia on Friday night.

is there a gate fee for those games?

This is not TOB. Take this glass half full crap over there. They will lap it up.

Football starts in August before Labor Day so it is a late summer sport- and is thus removed from the equation. Fall shaping up to be a Wellman triumph.

This is not TOB. Take this glass half full crap over there. They will lap it up.

Really? You don't think the Wake Forest sports message board is a good place to discuss Wake Forest sports?

ipitytheblue - I think there is no charge for Deacon Club members, otherwise it is around $5 per person.

Barbara Walker makes the hires for most (if not all) women's sports.

Also, where the hell else would you talk about Wake sports?

"Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely".

This isn't even sunshine, it's just facts about non-revenue sports doing well.

Back