• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter/Spring Sports (2/12 Update)

They're non-revenue sports for a simple reason; most fans don't care about them. It's great that the volleyball team is on fire- how many Wake fans regularly show up to watch them?

Is there somewhere else you think the other wake forest sports should be discussed? I'm still not clear on what you thought was funny - could you clarify?

Most of those sports owe their existence to Title IX.

I give up.

OK, I've got something I think this board will like. This afternoon I looked at espn3 on my phone, and there was a game listed as Pitt-nc state. I clicked on it and it was women's soccer. Within 2 seconds, a girl named Jackie Stengel from nc state scored. It turns out she is Katie stengel's little sister, and she is apparently really good. Sounds like she wanted to come to wake but wellman nixed it. (I made up that last sentence, but I thought it would play well on this board.)

They're non-revenue sports for a simple reason; most fans don't care about them. It's great that the volleyball team is on fire- how many Wake fans regularly show up to watch them?

Are you that miserable a person that you take the time to read a thread you "don't care about," then act like a douche discussing said thread?

Barbara Walker makes the hires for most (if not all) women's sports.

Also, where the hell else would you talk about Wake sports?

"Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely".

This isn't even sunshine, it's just facts about non-revenue sports doing well.

Barbara Walker probably makes $30,000 to Wellman's millions.

The good news is that all the top 25 Wake teams moved up the rankings this week. W soccer from 7 to 6 (as high as 3 in one poll, linked by siff above), M soccer from 15 to 9, and field hockey from 18 to 15. Volleyball is 8-1 but remains unranked.

The bad news is that m soccer lost tonight to #24 elon. Elon has beaten wake the past 3 meetings. I was looking at the m soccer schedule and it is just brutal. The Deacs will probably play 10 ranked teams, and a couple more against teams receiving votes.

This upcoming weekend it looks like every single Wake team is in action (the teams mentioned above plus m/w cross country, m/w golf, and m/w tennis.)

It's great that these sports, which Wellman apparently has no connection to, are doing well. They should be praised, as they are the only sliver of light to be found on campus now.

That said, an AD's job lives and breathes football and hoops. Those are the major revenue sports and if your hires are sucking dick (which kind of answers the question of what's in their bellies), then the AD needs to go.

It's great that these sports, which Wellman apparently has no connection to, are doing well. They should be praised, as they are the only sliver of light to be found on campus now.

That said, an AD's job lives and breathes football and hoops. Those are the major revenue sports and if your hires are sucking dick (which kind of answers the question of what's in their bellies), then the AD needs to go.

I hate responding to this, because the point of this thread is really to discuss the non-revenue fall sports and not Wellman, but there are just some points that I think need to be addressed...

First, the idea that there is only a "sliver of light to be found on campus" is dead wrong. Reading this board provides a very, very skewed perspective on Wake. The school was just ranked higher than it ever was before for academics, the med school/center blew the roof of their previous rankings, and students continue to enjoy the Wake experience, as you and many others on this board probably did as well.

Second, to state Ron Wellman has "no connection" to these teams is wrong. He's the athletic director, of course he has a connection to all varsity sports at Wake. Denying the truth weakens other, very valid, arguments one might make against his leadership.

So, back to fall sports, w soccer takes on duke at home on Thursday night. Hopefully the redesigned hill will open up for that match.

Second, to state Ron Wellman has "no connection" to these teams is wrong. He's the athletic director, of course he has a connection to all varsity sports at Wake. Denying the truth weakens other, very valid, arguments one might make against his leadership.

He didn't make the hires, so he shouldn't get credit for the hires exceeding (or meeting) expectations. Wellman is judged, in part, on the basis of how the revenue sports perform, and - on this basis - he's done a bad job for at least, three years.

Last edited:
Let's just leave this thread to talk about Fall sports besides football.

Let's just leave this thread to talk about Fall sports besides football.

Agreed. And glad to see they are doing well. It's great to have a bright spot.

Like most, I don't follow these sports that closely, but da Luz has to be considered one of the premier women's soccer coaches in the nation and of course Vidovich and Averill have been similarly highly regarded for a long time.

How's women's tennis doing? Men's tennis has been called out on this thread, but know women's has had some trouble of late.

Agreed. And glad to see they are doing well. It's great to have a bright spot.

Like most, I don't follow these sports that closely, but da Luz has to be considered one of the premier women's soccer coaches in the nation and of course Vidovich and Averill have been similarly highly regarded for a long time.

How's women's tennis doing? Men's tennis has been called out on this thread, but know women's has had some trouble of late.

W tennis was not very good last year and only won a few matches, though they did pick up some ACC wins at the end if the year. On paper, recruiting has been excellent, and that should begin to show this year. The team has their first matches of the year this upcoming weekend, which should give an idea of how much they have improved.

Wake now has one of the best facilities in the country for tennis, and that, combined with hosting a professional event yearly, has made a big impact on recruiting for both teams.

Women's soccer beats #18 Duke to remain undefeated. Stengel with her 50th career goal.

Redesigned hill is SOOOO much nicer.

Although I'm gonna miss tumbling down the hill to celebrate our players.

Anyone have pics or a description of the new hill?

Always love that thing, even if you did have to be careful of falling all the way down and losing your beer.

Back